r15 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
where can I get an r15 at? I asked directv but they told me they can't guarantee I'd get a specific receiver and in order to get a specific receiver I have to go buy the receiver retail.

Does the R15 support Picture in Picture?

Does the r15 record over the air signals? How is the r15's ota signal compared to the hdtivos which stinks?

What other new features will the r15 have that the tivo doesn't have?

thanks

You can't get an DirecTV Plus DVR (R15) until November 7th.

No

Yes; we have absolutely no idea

90 Live Buffer
More harddisk space compaired to standard DVRs
Picture-In-Guide
Interactive features
Caller ID
Bookmarks
Mini-Guide

Those are not final because consumer has the final version of the product.

1. My company is accepting advance orders for the R15, we expect our first allocation on November 7, 2005.

2. No DIRECTV receiver or DVR supports PIP. You could use a DIRECTV receiver or DVR for PIP with a DVD player, VCR or OTA signal through your VCR NTSC tuner or built-in ATSC TV tuner. Or get a second DIRECTV receiver or DVR connected to the same TV.

3. The R15 is a standard definition DVR and does not receive or record OTA channels.

4. The R15 has many new features, like caller ID, Ir and RF remote, 160 gig hard drive, VOD, viewmarks and a host of interactive features.

You may be thinking about the next generation HD DVR, which will be named HR20-250 and is due out by the end of Q1 or Q2 2006.

-Robert

So I can't use my antenna with the r15? I'm not talking about digital stations, I'm talking about regular ota stations since I can't get locals where I live (I really don't want to "move" again if i don't have to).

Why did the UltimateTV receiver accomodate Picture-In-Picture and not the new receiver?

How much will the receiver run at stores like best buy and walmart or circuit city?

Ultimate TV has two tuners and dual MPEG-2 decoders. All other DIRECTV DVR's have two tuners but only one decoder, so no PIP.

You can use the analog NTSC tuner in your VCR or the TV itself.

To sign up for our pre-order list just send us a PM or email.

-Robert

ok. Doesn't the directivo have an analog tuner in it or am i mistaken? Willl any new directv receivers support picture-in-picture or an analog tuner for those of us without local channels?

I'm not going to argue with DTV Tivo Dealer, but because the D10 series of standard recievers have a recievers have an analog tuner, I would think the DirecTV Plus would. I really just skimmed over the leaked manual though.

I don't understand why DirecTV would want to alienate everyone who doesn't have locals and has to use an off air antenna to receive locals like that. Now I could see them doing away with the analog tuner and recorder in their dvrs once they get their local penetration between 95 and 100% but until then they would be shooting themselves in the foot by doing so, at least in my opinion.

Read the manual again and in does have Off-Air-In, so you have nothing to worry about mikedz4.

That's good to hear. Now I still don't understand why you can't do picture in picture. Also how is the analog tuner in comparison to the tuner in the hdtivo? Also will it record the analog tuner or just tune it in?
Will it definitely be in stores next monday? I can keep my hdtivo for another week and buy the r15 when it comes out next monday.
Lastly where is the whole house dvr solution that was supposed to come out this year? Has this been pushed back and how much will it cost when it comes out? Also are there any manuals or specs on the whole house solution?

mikedz4 said:
Now I still don't understand why you can't do picture in picture.

I can only explain that as well as DTV Tivo Dealer has. You can have two different TV stations on the screen at one time because the R15 does not have dual MPEG-2 decoders, which means it would beable to decode to things at once.

Also how is the analog tuner in comparison to the tuner in the hdtivo?

We don't know yet.

Also will it record the analog tuner or just tune it in?

Probably, but again, we don't know yet.

Will it definitely be in stores next monday?

It will definately be shipping Monday. If it's any indication of the DirecTV dealers here and on other forums, all dealers will have it in there hands by next Monday. Retail stores, I don't see why not.

I can keep my hdtivo for another week and buy the r15 when it comes out next monday.

Yep.

Lastly where is the whole house dvr solution that was supposed to come out this year? Has this been pushed back and how much will it cost when it comes out? Also are there any manuals or specs on the whole house solution?

It was an HDDVR and probably won't be released until the end of next year (from what people say on this forum). We have no idea how much it will cost, nor are there any manuals or specifications for the device the DirecTV hasn't said in their press release.

No. It's not going to have an analog tuner. The antenna in is the same as it is for any other receiver. --Just a pass through so that if you have your unit hooked up via coax, when you turn the unit off (standby), it will pass the antenna signal through. You will not be able to record it.

Ricky

Whoops, my bad. I ought to be shot. Sorry for the misinfo. But the rest of it should be 100% true.

ok. So I guess Im stuck with cable and that $50 antenna i bought is a windsail once i get rid of my hdtivo. Oh well just glad i didn't go buy the one from radio shack now, then. Guess I will have to "Move" again to get the pittsburgh channels i want(upn and wb).
as for the picture in picture how can the scientific atlantic and motorola moxi dvr boxes do picture in picture for cable and this directv box cant? (notice how i didnt say motorola hd dvr dct. yeah i have it and it doesn't do picture)

mikedz4 said:
ok. So I guess Im stuck with cable and that $50 antenna i bought is a windsail once i get rid of my hdtivo. Oh well just glad i didn't go buy the one from radio shack now, then. Guess I will have to "Move" again to get the pittsburgh channels i want(upn and wb).
as for the picture in picture how can the scientific atlantic and motorola moxi dvr boxes do picture in picture for cable and this directv box cant? (notice how i didnt say motorola hd dvr dct. yeah i have it and it doesn't do picture)

My assumption, they have dual decoders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)