r22-100 in RV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wwaterhouse

Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
denver
i am looking at upgrading my r22 sd (hdcompatible) dvr to a hddvr and moving the r22 into the rv. currently i have a 18"round single line dish that i know will work for standard viewing but i want to get the full capability of recording one show while watching another...

When i moved into the house there was a Dish network dual line receiver (dish plus 500 i think) on the house... can i use this for the rv tripod mount hooked up to the r22 or do i need to purchase a directv brand dish?

thanks in advance for the info!

i am looking at upgrading my r22 sd (hdcompatible) dvr to a hddvr and moving the r22 into the rv. currently i have a 18"round single line dish that i know will work for standard viewing but i want to get the full capability of recording one show while watching another...

When i moved into the house there was a Dish network dual line receiver (dish plus 500 i think) on the house... can i use this for the rv tripod mount hooked up to the r22 or do i need to purchase a directv brand dish?

thanks in advance for the info!

The tripod & mast will be ok with a Directv dish (2"od mast). The dish will need to be changed...but Directv will provide that with the upgrade to the HD recorder.Or is it your intention to upgrade to a more capable recorder but retain just the SD level programming? If so...that is a Directv call above my pay grade.

Stay tuned,

Joe

Let me rephrase

Can the standard 1lnb 18 round dish provide me with two stations(sd) at once? (some sort of multiswitch

If not, is the dish 500 plus dish with dual head/receiver compatable?

If not what dish will I need for accessing hd channels with dvr function?

Directv has given me grief about being able to put the dvr in the rv replacing an old Samsung receiver and said that I needed to pay for a separate account for rving... This was a few years back, but I just don't want to go down that road again...

Let me rephrase
Ah, now I see what you mean
Can the standard 1lnb 18 round dish provide me with two stations(sd) at once? (some sort of multiswitch
Yes........but the earlier DVRs required two lines.....so you would run both lines from the round dish to a 3x4 multiswitch. Then you would run two lines to each recorder.

If not, is the dish 500 plus dish with dual head/receiver compatable?
The DISH 500 LNB & dish in not compatible with the Directv equipment. The mast is and the cable is.
If not what dish will I need for accessing hd channels with dvr function?
The correct Directv dish will be provided by the installer. It will be one that can "see" the SD satellite + the source of the HD signal on two other sats. They will probably use a single wire multiswitch (SWM) which will need a power inserter (PI). Make sure you specify the two channel at once record / view feature when you order.

Directv has given me grief about being able to put the dvr in the rv replacing an old Samsung receiver and said that I needed to pay for a separate account for rving... This was a few years back, but I just don't want to go down that road again...
I am not a Directv rep but I am pretty sure the distinction is if you are only using the RV and not the service address you can just move the receiver to the RV, for a temp use like a tailgate party. IF you are going to have people living in the RV and using the service address, I think that is where the second account comes in.

Since the RV will probably not have a landline phone you won't be able to order PPV movies because Directv will have no way of knowing where the receiver is.

Joe

understood... i dont care to order pay per view, download on demand, check the weather or my horiscope, use the cinema direct thingy... just use the dvr to watch and record seperate channels that i currently pay for in my regular monthly package...

i already have a reviever in the RV (that directv knows about... its labled RV on my account and on the website) that will go away and be replaced by the r22 which i currently have running in the kids' loft... i wont live in the rv but will use it regularly on trips to the lake (20 minutes away) and tailgating concerts/baseball/football games, at kids' weekend long baseball/softball tournaments etc where i will want to record my shows(usually sports) then watch them at the end of the night but the kids will be in and out inbetween games watching thier disney/nickelodeon/CMT videos whatever while the game is in real time...

please dont suggest that i stream the game live to my iphone... i coach so even if that were something i thought was cool i am in need of recording it and making sure that whatever the kids watch during the game doesnt interfere with its recording.

thanks!

Hence... i need to figure out what dish set up will be required to record channel 1 and let the kids watch channel 2 at the same time...

Can i achieve this with the 18" round 1lnb by using multiswitch or something else?

IF NOT, can i achieve this with the dish 500 plus satellite dish mentioned above (2lnb)?

IF NOT, what dish would be reccomended for ease of setup, use and cost efficiency?

if the R22 will be the only receiver in the RV all you need is 2 lines form the LNB to the receiver. NO switch needed

if the R22 will be the only receiver in the RV all you need is 2 lines form the LNB to the receiver. NO switch needed
Iceman,
The thing I was questioning was the two channel reception. He wants to go to HD service...........the r22 will not be his HD box. Could you continue with features? I got off at HDVR 25. For tailgate and or RV use I still think the SD signal is good enough. He wants HD......plz add suggestions.

joe

Iceman,
The thing I was questioning was the two channel reception. He wants to go to HD service...........the r22 will not be his HD box. Could you continue with features? I got off at HDVR 25. For tailgate and or RV use I still think the SD signal is good enough. He wants HD......plz add suggestions.

joe
Well, if he needs HD then he needs a Slimline dish, eitherr the standard one or a SWM dish.

Well, if he needs HD then he needs a Slimline dish, eitherr the standard one or a SWM dish.
Clearly,
I just have not kept up on the later HDDVR capabilities. Could he wifi the tail gate or RV operation?

Joe?

Iceman,

joe

I'm confused. What I read is he is doing two things
-swapping the R22 for a HD DVR in the kids room
-moving the R22 to the RV and replacing the existing receiver in there

I'm not worried about the house setup as Directv will take care of the dish there.
The R22 as a stand alone receiver on an account will only get SD. Once there is HD on the account (there already might be...the OP doesnt mention other receivers) the R22 can get HD. I had 2 of them (R22's) pre HR34 and I needed a H23 on the acct so I could get HD on the R22's.

If the OP uses a single satellite LNB (the old 18" dishes) you run both lines from the dish to the R22...no switch needed as that is the only receiver in the RV. He can watch one show and record another or record 2 shows. This is how my account was originally set up

If he goes with HD in the RV then its a whole different can of worms. But it sounds like all he wants to do in the RV is swap a SD receiver for the R22 (SD DVR)

Iceburg hit it on the money! Pm from another user was also a full account of set up options.

Sd is fine for rv use (receiver is capable for hd and is active since he is added to my account).

Thanks Jimbo and Iceburg! I look forward to the swap and not missing my games while out and about!

I'm confused. What I read is he is doing two things
-swapping the R22 for a HD DVR in the kids room
-moving the R22 to the RV and replacing the existing receiver in there

I'm not worried about the house setup as Directv will take care of the dish there.
The R22 as a stand alone receiver on an account will only get SD. Once there is HD on the account (there already might be...the OP doesnt mention other receivers) the R22 can get HD. I had 2 of them (R22's) pre HR34 and I needed a H23 on the acct so I could get HD on the R22's.

If the OP uses a single satellite LNB (the old 18" dishes) you run both lines from the dish to the R22...no switch needed as that is the only receiver in the RV. He can watch one show and record another or record 2 shows. This is how my account was originally set up

If he goes with HD in the RV then its a whole different can of worms. But it sounds like all he wants to do in the RV is swap a SD receiver for the R22 (SD DVR)

Thanks,
That is one of the things I have not kept current on....the r22 can use the HD signal from 99 & 103 IF there is HD service on the account. Cool! He will need a Slimline or similar dish for the RV. Is the r22 ok with a SWM or will he need two cables?

Joe

Joe,
It sounds like he's not gonna need the Slimline now, as his previous post said he wasn't looking for HD in the RV.

That said, if he changes his mind, he can always get one then.

Joe,
It sounds like he's not gonna need the Slimline now, as his previous post said he wasn't looking for HD in the RV.

That said, if he changes his mind, he can always get one then.

Yup,
I know a guy who has a round dish rigged on the roof of his RV and he peaks the dish by parking, while parking...with a compass....el set......az sometimes possible..........sometimes needs the 7/16 wrench....pretty EZ!
wwaterhouse is where he needs to be.

Joe

Thanks,
That is one of the things I have not kept current on....the r22 can use the HD signal from 99 & 103 IF there is HD service on the account. Cool! He will need a Slimline or similar dish for the RV. Is the r22 ok with a SWM or will he need two cables?

Joe
The R22 works on both SWM or non SWM. When I had the 2 R22's originally all I did was what you described earlier with the 18" dish I had
2 lines from the LNB into the house into a 3x4 multsiwtch (behind the TV)
4 lines (2 each) to the R22's (I had two of them)

When I upgraded to HD to give the R22's HD you need to have a "legit" HD unit on the account (H20-25, HR20-24, HR34) then the HD gets turned on those. The R22 is basically a HR21 (320GB drive) that can be used on a SD only account. It was a heckuva lot better than that R15 I started with ;)

For the OP (getting back to him) if he is using the 18" dish its just 2 lines to the R22. One thing we didnt mention was locals but since his location says Denver (and he may have the distants due to the RV thing) he's all set with locals (both Denver and the distants are on 101)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)