R22 and RF Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gus_19

Original poster
May 9, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm a new Direct tv customer and am looking into getting an RF signal instead of using my IR extender. Though new to all of this, I was wondering if the R22 DVR is capable of connecting an RF antenna. If not, what dvr receiver would be recommended?

I don't know which receivers are RF remote capable.
But, the setup menu should have an entry if it is. Look for remote setup.
Of course, you'll need the receiver. :)
The DirecTV website has the manuals for current receivers.

All the current H, HR & R receivers are RF capable - you'll need to get an RC64R or RC64RB remote to use RF. Except for the HR20, the other receivers have internal RF antennas...

The H21-200 is not RF capable.

Gee, mine is (I have both the -100 and -200). So if you go to the setup menu, select remote and you can't switch the mode to RF?

The H21's can do RF remotes, just that the remote that ships with the box isn't an RF remote (easy way to tell, on the back of the remote there will be an FCC certification sticker, IR only remotes don't have that).

The DirecTV website has the manuals for current receivers.
The online manuals are criminally generic. They use the same document for the R22, HR20, HR21, HR22 and HR23 DVRs.

The manual for the remote control unit itself gives much better insights.

Gee, mine is (I have both the -100 and -200). So if you go to the setup menu, select remote and you can't switch the mode to RF?

The H21's can do RF remotes, just that the remote that ships with the box isn't an RF remote (easy way to tell, on the back of the remote there will be an FCC certification sticker, IR only remotes don't have that).

Well, I was wrong. The H21-200 is RF capable. Sorry for the miss-information!

The manual for my receiver says that the RF remote will not work and I believed the manual.

Can the RF remotes operate in both (RF and IR) modes at the same time?

Well, I was wrong. The H21-200 is RF capable. Sorry for the miss-information!

The manual for my receiver says that the RF remote will not work and I believed the manual.

Can the RF remotes operate in both (RF and IR) modes at the same time?

No, it's either RF or IR to the DirecTV receivers. It does still use IR to control other devices like the TV or audio receiver though.

I wonder what manual you got? I checked the ones that I got with my H21-200 (which was part of the early beta release program so I had it before the public did) and my H21-100 which I purchased back in 12/2008. Both of them on page 71 "Using and IR/RF Remote to Control your DirecV HD Receiver" says the RF capable remote is sold separately and then on the bottom of the page goes into on how to set it up. Wonder why they would have dropped any reference to RF since it's been in the HD receivers back even before the H2X series came out.

Just call me stupid!

In the past I tried to get the IR/RF setup screen to change the Remote type to RF and I could not figure out how to do it. Today and I try it and it works just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts