R22, HD compatibility and you

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elknino

Sep 2, 2010
ohio
So from what I've read, the r22 is HD compatible. Is it true that you must have an HD box in order to get your r22 to actually play HD content? Direct TV is telling me I need to get one of their fancy pants HD qualifying boxes in order to add their HD service. Is this really a technical issue or is it an attempt to force me into a new contract?

anyone faced this problem with them before?

The R22 is only compatible if there is already HD on the acct. So yes, you would need an HD receiver and HD dish, then the R22 would work as an secondary HD box if you added B Bands to it. The rep is telling the truth, sorry.

It seems to me that at its very core, its a sly and underhanded move to keep people tethered to contracts.. but i digress..thanks for the info.

It may be underhanded at heart, I can't say for sure. I know the logistics problem of it is from the software ordering system. When you order HD the system recognizes if you need an HD dish or not. If you need one, the dish is free. The system doesn't recognize an R22 as an HD box since it technically is a standard box, so it doesn't kick in the free dish. The R22 also isn't set up to trigger the automatic HD monthly charge.

yep I have a R22 too and it is a SD only box. BUt in the latest software they made some changes so you can mess with the resolution and the picture type. Use to be fixed on 480p

But most of the changes do no good if you are SD only ;)

So I called in again.

they want $99 for a new hddvr box (after talking them down) plus $41 for shipping/taxes. So here I am with a HDDVR ready box in my living room but i'm now required to shell out $141 for the same thing (basically) AND they get a contract extension out of me.

A cancel is probably coming soon after I find a half decent deal from competitors and all i wanted to do is to give them more money for HD service and NFL ticket.

So I called in again.

they want $99 for a new hddvr box (after talking them down) plus $41 for shipping/taxes. So here I am with a HDDVR ready box in my living room but i'm now required to shell out $141 for the same thing (basically) AND they get a contract extension out of me.

A cancel is probably coming soon after I find a half decent deal from competitors and all i wanted to do is to give them more money for HD service and NFL ticket.

you could just get a standard hd box and get some type of credit and be cheaper off then getting an hddvr you just need a hd box does not need to be hddvr for hd access to be added to the account.

So I called in again.

Why do you think you should be able to get an HD DVR for less than other people? The R22 was not intended as a low-cost way to get an HD DVR. But DirecTV decided that if you already had HD, they would enable HD on the R22, it's a bonus.

Problem not with the ordering but with the billing system only seeing it as sd. wont let you put hd access on .

So you're saying that if the billing system ever gets programmed to add HD service for R22s that the ordering system is already programmed to automatically give the option for a free HD dish? That's great because it couldn't do that before.

So you're saying that if the billing system ever gets programmed to add HD service for R22s that the ordering system is already programmed to automatically give the option for a free HD dish? That's great because it couldn't do that before.

no ....

What I said is that the real problem is not our order system but our billing system. R22 will never be recognized as a hd reciever it would cause too many issues ofr people who have and use it as an sd dvr.

But lets say for argument sake that they did we would still have no way of giving you a free hd dish.

So really both problems would have to be fixed first.

Ok, that's what I originally said and I thought you were stating that was wrong. Understood now.

Ok, that's what I originally said and I thought you were stating that was wrong. Understood now.

No I am stating the bigger problem is the billing system.

worst case scenario for the order system is there are tricks to get around that. and then credit the cost.

But in the long run still cheaper to get a plan old hd box which would solve both problems.

and you still need a slimline dish for the r22 to get HD. which means dtv has to send someone out to install the dish. see if you can trade it in for a hr series ird. and ask to talk to a suppervisor. they may help

Well I have made several attempts and I can not get HD on my SD tv via my R22. I have a Slimline 3 with HR22 and R22 so all should be good. Now I think Stonecold told me many months ago that sometime HDMI has to recognized on the box to view HD. I will soon find out as my wife finally wants to put a LCD in the bedroom. Directv has offered me a free HD-DVR to replace my R22 if I sign up for a 24mo commitment. My contract expires on 10/31/10.

So I called in again.

$ 99 for a HD DVR is dirt cheap .....
Most people here pay $ 199 + tax.

$ 41 for tax does not sound right though.

Well I have made several attempts and I can not get HD on my SD tv via my R22. I have a Slimline 3 with HR22 and R22 so all should be good. Now I think Stonecold told me many months ago that sometime HDMI has to recognized on the box to view HD. I will soon find out as my wife finally wants to put a LCD in the bedroom. Directv has offered me a free HD-DVR to replace my R22 if I sign up for a 24mo commitment. My contract expires on 10/31/10.

?
Does D* have to activate the HD portion of the R22's, or does it just automatically work once you have the HD package on your account.

?
Does D* have to activate the HD portion of the R22's, or does it just automatically work once you have the HD package on your account.

I have been told with HD Access on my account because of my HR22 all should be good. The Guide just will not pull in the HD Channels. All the other options associated with an HD box are there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)