R22? What are the odds?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Big Dawg 23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Northfield, MN
I am getting Directv installed on Thursday. What are the odds the installer will give me a R22? I am getting two DVR's HD-DVR and SD HD-DVR. I know it depends on what he has on the truck. The R22 would be nice given from what I read it can do ondemand and external hardrive support where the R15 can not.

When I got DirecTv installed a couple of months ago, the installer brought an R18. I had specifically requested the R22, but did not yet know of the "whatever is in stock" policy.

I talked to customer service, and I was able to go and buy a R22 from best buy for the same price that DirecTv were going to charge me ($99). I was refunded the charge I had paid for the R18 at order time, and the installer set everything up for me as planned.

i have four standard receivers coming and on hd dvr and one hd...i purchased and SWM LNB which is the only way i will be able to get direct tv..what are the chances i receive all compatible receivers and who could i cantact in order to make sure the possibility is greater?

I am getting Directv installed on Thursday. What are the odds the installer will give me a R22? I am getting two DVR's HD-DVR and SD HD-DVR. I know it depends on what he has on the truck. The R22 would be nice given from what I read it can do ondemand and external hardrive support where the R15 can not.

Well I got one as a replacement for a defective HR20(built this September) and the box was checked by the Tech for OTA channel replacement only DVR which the HR22 is not) You get what you don't want or ask for I guess! Anyway I ordered the AM21 Over-the Air Turner add-on after receiving the new HR22 at no charge, and paid ABT $58 for this unit and could not be happier. Now when 1080P is available, I will be too and the upgrade was free.

Well I got one as a replacement for a defective HR20(built this September) and the box was checked by the Tech for OTA channel replacement only DVR which the HR22 is not) You get what you don't want or ask for I guess! Anyway I ordered the AM21 Over-the Air Turner add-on after receiving the new HR22 at no charge, and paid ABT $58 for this unit and could not be happier. Now when 1080P is available, I will be too and the upgrade was free.

He was asking about an R22 (SD DVR), not an HR22 (HD DVR)

To answer the op, if you are in a 72.5 local market, you WILL get an R22, as it is the only MPEG4 SD DVR Directv has, and MPEG 4 is a requirement going forward for locals in 72.5 markets. Otherwise, chances are 50/50 of getting R22 or R16.
BTW, some do not know that an R22 is actually a software disabled HR22 receiver, and can be software upgraded (theoretically) to an HR22.

....BTW, some do not know that an R22 is actually a software disabled HR22 receiver, and can be software upgraded (theoretically) to an HR22.

Unfortunately that is half true... while yes its a HR22 with a diff serial etc... ATM it can not be up-converted to accept HD programming.. least that what D* ISS told me, the encoding above 420 has been disabled in the firmware. He said this was to prevent image distortion on older CRT's tv's that this will more than likely be installed on.

I had an install Oct 27 (DFW TX) and got an R22 HD DVR.

Well after a lazy installer on first attempt on 10/30 the second one on 11/01 gave me R22-100 and HR22-100. Instant download of 0290 software. Glad to see without asking he gave me R22. It will be nice to do ondemand and record moves to watch in the bedroom. Much better picture and features than my Moxi through Charter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)