radar detector interference ku band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I have been reading recently on the local oscillator inside radar detectors will cause signal quality problems on digital ku band reception. As a test i went out and turned my detector on in my truck and voila!! pansat 2500A showed no signal on a couple tp's on galaxy 10R. As i tested further i have found that tp freq's in the 11800-12000 mhz area are most affected. Other factors include f/d ratio and sidelobe characteristics of the dish and its orientation in relationship to the radar detector.

For my testing purposes i am using a pansat 2500A with a patriot 75cm dish with sg-2100 dish motor and 2x1 diseqc switch with in line rca amp.

Since i live on a very busy street in charleston wv, i notice during morning and evening traffic i have a lot of pixalization and signal quality issues. (quality jumping from 10% to the normal 60%) on some transponders in the 11800-12000 mhz range.

I seem to recall a story about a problem a TV station was having in Washington, DC when I was there. They kept losing (quality on) their morning show via satellite. After *many* days/hours of replacing equipment, reaiming, TI filters, etc., they found out the same employee was parking in front of the dish each morning. There was a radar detector in his car, and it was always on.

Happy New Year,
jerry

radar detectors and signal quality

i live near some apartment buildings and a lot of people park in front of and behind my house. I now think some of my signal quality problems are a result of radar detectors left on in the parked vehicles. Right now I have a signal quality jumping up and down on galaxy 10R 11799V from 10% to 60%. My normal quality is around 72%. :eek:

Are those things legal in your area? Can you not tell local law enforcement that you know for a fact the neighbours are using these devices. I think these things are ridiculous to say the least. You are knowingly speeding and you want a chance to deceive law enforcement because you feel it is your right to speed. Hence interfering with your legit reception.

I told on my local hydro utility to my local commission because they were interfering with my OTA antenna. They had to respond quickly and replaced the fitting to a transformer in front of my home.

I beleive they are only illegal in Connecticut, Virginia and parts of Canada.

legal radar detectors

In my state (West Virginia) and most others except for maybe five i think, radar detectors are legal to own and operate. Actually here, most all police use lasar systems which are virtually undetectable until you are being clocked. Its not like the good ol' days when they scattered x, k, ka band microwaves from those police cruisers from here to the moon and you knew 2 miles before you got close to them. LOL. I was never much of a speeder anyway , but we do have some small "mayberry" type towns where Barney Fife is looking for very small things to make a dollar for the police departement and meet his quota. So detectors are somewhat useful not just for intentionally being a street racer. although i don't like for them to knock out my tv reception

Status
Please reply by conversation.

4DTV with a 90 cm ku dish

pansat 2500a help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)