Radioshack 9ft restorati

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rodrigocn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
Latinoamerica
Hi!
Some time ago I acquired a 9 ft Radioshack dish in bad condition, I restored it and now it is working
Some photos of the process:
this was what I bought
IMG-20180606-_WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180606-_WA0008.jpg

IMG_20180613_215721_FILEminimizer.jpg

IMG_20180613_215806_FILEminimizer.jpg

IMG_20180613_215816_FILEminimizer.jpg

IMG_20180613_220031_FILEminimizer.jpg

IMG_20180715_110423_FILEminimizer.jpg

rodrigocn,

I can attest to the favorable responses here about this dish.
I had one for 11 years never a problem. Was my first BUD in 1991.
I have plans this summer to install it on my KTI mount. The original Radio Shack mount is un salvageable and the KTI dish isn't perfectly parabolic anymore.
Enjoy.

John

Reactions: overtimeman
Very nice restoration job.I was wondering about the buttonhook in the photo,was that a standard buttonhook for the RS 9footers because I was able to get one that was sitting in a garage brand new and the buttonhook didn't have a bracket welded to it to hold the scalar ring of the feedhorn like I see in the photo?Can someone also tell me if there is alot of slack or backlash in the worm gear and how to reduce it.Thanks

That is a nice restoration by the OP. My first dish was an RS 8 footer with perforated panels (instead of mesh), buttonhook feed, and HH mount. Early 90's. I was really impressed with the video and the ability to get stereo audio (which I couldn't get OTA or cable back then). A former stepson used the reflector for golf practice one day. I didn't bother to replace the panels. I eventually scrapped it and got a Paraclipse 12 footer. Anyway, why aren't there more consumer grade BUD's with HH mounts anymore?

I gave my brother one of those radio shack dishes and the receiver when he lost his job in a steel mill. The only reason I bought the system was the owner,s daughter shot herself dead and he begged me to take it away. All I wanted was the roll of ribbon cable. It came with an ADL dual c-band and surprised me how well it worked. It needs a new motor and I could never find one. If I could find a motor I would get it running with a fta receiver for my brother.

• Wow
Reactions: Captain Midnight
Very nice restoration job.I was wondering about the buttonhook in the photo,was that a standard buttonhook for the RS 9footers because I was able to get one that was sitting in a garage brand new and the buttonhook didn't have a bracket welded to it to hold the scalar ring of the feedhorn like I see in the photo?Can someone also tell me if there is alot of slack or backlash in the worm gear and how to reduce it.Thanks
The button hook on the radio shack dish hade the piece wellded on. The one at my brothers had no slop. He stripped the gear on the motor so we just used the crank to lock it on one satelite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)