Retrofit My Radioshack Dish Onto My KTI Mount

Mike,

At this rate I wont have the dish operating for another 10 years. :(;)
This is basically a one man job and I'm working full time

John

Mike,

At this rate I wont have the dish operating for another 10 years. :(;)
This is basically a one man job.

John

Don't despair, it'll get done RIGHT if you keep plugging away. Look how far you've already come. You aren't competing against anybody, so what if it takes a little bit longer? IF you don't have a true parabola to start with, you'll never do anything but spin your wheels for sure, no matter what you do from that point.

I'll admit I'm a bit OCD, ok, a lot OCD, but a little compromise here and there while installing, can add up to a HUGE distortion as a whole. Especially with a petalized dish, much less a hybrid dish.

Reactions: a33 and JFOK
Mike,

Thanks for the “pep talk.”
When I first installed this dish 28 years ago at my home in Conn. it took me 5 days from start (digging the hole) to locating my first satellite.
Just thought it would be a quicker process than it’s turning out to be.
I will hang in there of course and hope for the best as this is a fascinating hobby I never get tired of.
Thanks again Mike.

John

HI All,

Just another update....
I checked the signal on the coax that leads into the ASC 1 in the house.
Its reading the same (steady 6-7 db) as that out at the dish on 78W, with the sat finder. So...the coax is good with no signal loss.
I'm beginning to think that I have to re-aim my LNBF better....aside from re-configuring my dish to a more parabolic shape.
Even with the misshapen KTI, I did better on this satellite.

John

Brian,

The odd thing here is that I’m doing everything I’ve done in the past to get a satellite signal and I’m coming up empty. It’s frustrating say the least.
I know I’ve mated a unmatched dish and mount together, but I thought this would be easier than it’s turning out.
I’m hoping I get this operating soon as the colder weather is on the way.

John

Please follow through on doing the steps in my post #180 above, before just adjusting the lnbf. Once we are sure you have a true parabola as best as you can get (hopefully near perfect), then it's time to move on to other things.

As I've said before, a hybrid dish brings in all sorts of variables that can kick your butt on getting just right. Even an expert installer could be stymied with this hybrid setup, but an expert would work through it step by step making sure each part was adjusted best until it was right. You can't expect THIS install to go as easy as 30 years ago, as this isn't the same dish anymore.

Hopefully you don't take any of this as a criticism, but see it as more of a trying to bring out the realities of your new situation.

Reactions: Titanium and JFOK
Mike,

You’ve been a big help and I don’t take any of what you said as a criticism.
My issue is that even with a less than perfect dish, I should be getting more signal than I’m getting. Like I said earlier, even my less than perfect KTI got me most of the arc. Maybe I’m expecting too much too soon.
I am going to try your stringing suggestion I just need to find a larger step ladder to do the stringing as my 6 footer isn’t going to cut it anymore with the completed dish.
I believe I just have to adjust a dish arm to make it more true, but will use the strings as a guide.
Thanks as always.

John

Hi All,

It is done...
Now the fun part...tightening the bolts in a set pattern as required in the manual to pull it perfectly together, hooking up the arm and then finding satellites.
Its nice to see this dish up again after sitting idle for 20 years.
A special thanks to those who offered support, ideas and said that this mount conversion was possible in the first place. :hail

John

View attachment 140548
Looks awesome

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: JFOK
Hi All,

Today I’m going to attempt to straighten the curve in my dish.
I’m going to loosen some of the arms and bolts holding the panels to the arms on the right side of my dish.
Then if I can get ahold of my friends 12 foot step ladder, do a string test. I’m thinking I’ll have to remove the button hook which will be a pain in the ass to do as I had fished all the wiring through it and will have to undo that tedious work.
My wife isn’t a fan of my dish hobby. Although she does understand my compassion for it, told me yesterday maybe you should consider buying a new one. I never expected to hear her say that...talk about a bolt out of the blue. I will stick with working on the RS dish a while longer, then maybe take her up on her offer. Cooler weather is moving in and I want satellite reception before the freezing temps and snow move in.

John

By the way, a few questions, about what is not clear to me:

1. With your new setup and alignment, did you have reception already on any satellite (78W or 87W)? Or just a (non-locking) signal quality reading on your meter?

2. Did you, after setting south, and trying/rotating your dish about where you expect 78W, also try to change the axis elevation angle a bit (as I wrote in #173)?

greetz,
A33

Hi All,

Today I’m going to attempt to straighten the curve in my dish.
I’m going to loosen some of the arms and bolts holding the panels to the arms on the right side of my dish.
Then if I can get ahold of my friends 12 foot step ladder, do a string test. I’m thinking I’ll have to remove the button hook which will be a pain in the ass to do as I had fished all the wiring through it and will have to undo that tedious work.
My wife isn’t a fan of my dish hobby. Although she does understand my compassion for it, told me yesterday maybe you should consider buying a new one. I never expected to hear her say that...talk about a bolt out of the blue. I will stick with working on the RS dish a while longer, then maybe take her up on her offer. Cooler weather is moving in and I want satellite reception before the freezing temps and snow move in.

John
My wife wasn't a fan at first either but now she actually enjoys a lot of the channels and even helps me when I need it. :inlive Wishing you the best in getting things lined up. :)

a33,

I had reception on two 78W transponders.
The reception on 3995V 23000 was inconsistent between 11-18 db and unable to maintain a lock.
The reception on 3922V 3002 was a steady 6-7db with a lock but un-viewable on my stb.
Yes...after setting south I rotated the dish a bit to find 78W and I did adjust the elevation a bit as you mentioned in post 173.
I DID NOT touch the declination. ;)
Thanks for responding. Hope you are well.

John

FTA4PA,

I was pleasantly surprised by her comment. I think she feels bad for me with all the work I've put into this with no results.
Thanks for the well wishes.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
I had reception on two 78W transponders.
The reception on 3995V 23000 was inconsistent between 11-18 db and unable to maintain a lock.
The reception on 3922V 3002 was a steady 6-7db with a lock but un-viewable on my stb.
Yes...after setting south I rotated the dish a bit to find 78W and I did adjust the elevation a bit as you mentioned in post 173.

OK, it is clear then that if you didn't get better reception while doing that, that you should continue with checking dish form, and location of the feed(horn).
Others here will know better than I, about that.

I hope you will get it right soon!

greetz,
A33

Hi All,

This is may be the longest thread (196 posts) I've ever had on Satellite Guys.
After trying to align this dish to a more perfect parabolic shape and not having much luck I finally made the decision to purchase a new dish. My wife, who I said is not a big dish fan, but who appreciates my compassion for this hobby said that it was time to let it go and get a new dish. She saw the time and effort I was putting into this and the lack of appreciable results I was having.
The initial string test on this dish while not perfect, was within an acceptable range IMHO and better than the string test on my old KTI. Yet the old KTI gave me a signal where the Radio Shack dish didn't. I spent several days working on improving the shape with some minor success, but still no appreciable increase in signal. I also worked on trying to aim the feedhorn better, again with no real results.
I hate to let this dish go as it was my first foray into FTA in 1991, but it is what it is. So I will be taking this dish apart this week along with my old KTI dish and if no one is interested in either, I will scrap them. Before scrapping I will advertise both on Craigslist, but I'm not hopeful.
I offered my RS dish to .Raine as he owns a RS dish and might appreciate not only the panels, but the original dish motor and other various RS dish parts. If he's not interested and any of you are, in either dish, please let me know soon as I not holding on to these dishes for long as I don't want a BUD scrap yard. ;)
After reading reviews especially Alan Rovner's, I bought an 8 foot solid from Satellites Galore/Tek 2000 for a good price IMHO. Less than my RS dish in 1991 for sure. I will post my "adventures" with that dish assembly in another thread.
Thanks so much to all who offered suggestions and advice, it was MUCH APPRECIATED !!! :hail

John

Well, it's sad that you didn't get better reception results! :(

... and location of the feed(horn)
One thing crossed my mind, after writing this:
Is the feedarm the original feed-arm belonging to the dish? So with feedhorn at the one and only focal point of the dish, and feedhorn adapted to the f/D-ratio of the dish?

Greetz,
A33

a33,

Yes that was the original "button hook" feed arm and was originally adapted to f/d ratio of the dish.
I did start experimenting with other f/d settings after not getting any signal with the original setting.
Thanks so much for all your help with this dish.

John

Reactions: a33
Hi All,

Just a quick update.
Against all odds, I found a good home for both dishes via Craigslist and they wont be going to scrap as I originally feared.
The "buyer" will be stopping by on Monday to pick them up as I'm still taking the RS dish apart.
He's is going to use the KTI initially as part of a Christmas decoration with plans to return it to FTA service in the spring.
He also plans on returning the RS dish to service also in the spring. He has a RS parts dish, is a metal fabricator and is anxious to get back in the hobby.
I feel better letting these dishes go, now knowing they aren't going to scrap. :amen

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts