Radioshack high def outdoor antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Punzzy

Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Does anyone know if the radioshack hig def outdoor antenna, the one that looks like a boomerang, is any good.

Pictue of antenna

I wanted to use it and diplex it with my Dish.

First off, all OTA TV antennas will receive high definition DTV signals. There isn't any such thing as a High Definition TV antenna.

Second, have you looked at antennaweb to determine your antenna needs and the azimuths to your desired DTV transmitters? If the color codes are YELLOW and you intend to mount the antenna outside, you don't need amplification.

Anyway, after you've done your homework, if a small to medium, amplified antenna seems like a good choice, go buy it from Rat Shack. Install it and test it. If it gives you what you want, it is a good antenna. Although, RS also has a nice 4' Yagi antenna for half that price that many have found adequate, if amplification isn't needed. If the "wing" doesn't do it for you, return it. RS has one of the better return policies of any retailers.

How would one know if they need amplification? Is this something that needs to be hooked up to a power source? I would like to get the channels in my area up to violet and I think that may require amplification. i

That P O S they wanted me to sell back in 96 when I worked there, except it wasn't "Hi Def" :)

unless you are close to the towers, get a differwent one :)

scott78945 said:
How would one know if they need amplification? Is this something that needs to be hooked up to a power source? I would like to get the channels in my area up to violet and I think that may require amplification. i

If you want the VIOLET channels, you will most likely need a Large, Directional Antenna w/ a low noise, high gain pre-amp (CM 7775 or 7777) mounted at a good height out-of-doors. If those VIOLET channels are in the UHF spectrum, then a CM 4228 or a CM 4248 or a Winegard PR-9032 or a Antennas Direct XG91 would work just fine for your antenna. If those VIOLET channels are VHF, I don't really have a suggestion as I don't have any experience or acquired information on good, long range, VHF antennas.

If all your stations are UHF, the R/S 2160 is much better at 1/2 the price
I would also NOT use diplexers, you need all the signal you can get and if you need an amp. it will make it easy if you have a stright run of RG-6 to ant.

An R/S 2160 is only a medium directional antenna. Somewhat similar, though inferior, to a Winegard PR-9018, the little brother of the PR-9032. The antennas I noted in my earlier post are all large directional antennas, as are needed to deal with UHF channels listed as VIOLET for a given receiving location.

I am using the CM-4221 at 35 feet, it gives me an fantastic picture and many channels in South Florida. I got it because it came highly recommended on the net. The 4228 is the bigger brother, good to 60 miles. The 4221 is a 45 mile design. I am getting channels more than 45 miles out, and I don't use an amp on it either. The picture quality is far above what you get a on Dishnet or DirectTv, ABC TV OTA is prime, beautiful as can be.
Winegard makes comparable models of these two Channel master antenna's, but they will cost less. I love the Channel Master 4221. I got it from Solid Signal, they are top notch in customer service, and they had the best price and shipping fee of anybody else I tried.

Carl B said:
If you want the VIOLET channels, you will most likely need a Large, Directional Antenna w/ a low noise, high gain pre-amp (CM 7775 or 7777) mounted at a good height out-of-doors. If those VIOLET channels are in the UHF spectrum, then a CM 4228 or a CM 4248 or a Winegard PR-9032 or a Antennas Direct XG91 would work just fine for your antenna. If those VIOLET channels are VHF, I don't really have a suggestion as I don't have any experience or acquired information on good, long range, VHF antennas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts