Rain and radio shack "waterproof" f connectors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
After 15 days of rain, I have found out how well the Radio Shack "Waterproof" f connectors work. While they are f connectors, they are not waterproof.

I have a pansat diseqc switch outside that 3 dishes feed. All of the cables connected to it use the radio shack connectors, while the unused port is capped. I used dielectric grease on the threads of all the ports, to insure against moisture ingress along the threads. I used the proper cable to crimping tool attach the connectors to the coax.

This afternoon (during a break in the rain, clear skies after 15 days of rain) I started loosing signal, but not like rain fade acts. My signal was bouncing wildly, sometimes locking for few minutes, then no signal, then great signal, then zilch. So, I figured, time to check my switch and cable connectors.

Imagine my suprise to find moisture in every port of the switch that i had NOT capped. Lots of evidence of sparking, black carbon everywhere including inside the cable ends. Checking the coax i saw moisture had wicked approx 2 inches along the coax.

Long story short, i cut off the offending ends and replaced them and the switch. Problem fixed.

I have other "non waterproof" connectors outside that i have waterproofed myself, using silicone and dielectric grease. All of those connectors checked out fine, the only ones bad were radio shack "waterproofed" f connectors.

I am really interested to see if anyone else has had problems with these connectors.

I don't have good luck with Radio Shack products, or my local Radio Shacks :-( I did get some good high quality weatherproof f's from sadoun :)

I will never use them again lol, getting ready to order a bag of sadouns waterproof f connectors. 100 to a bag, ought to set me up for connectors for a while, and at a better price than rat shacks connectors.

One word!

Dielectric grease! (OK two words)

Add this stuff to the cheapest connector and you should NEVER have a problem!

I see you did this and its also Icebergs Tip of the day :)

Last edited:
Pete,
I use dielectric grease on all my outdoor connections. I think these failed where the connector twists so you can screw it on. None of my elcheapo connectors that were filled with dielectric grease then siliconed on the outside failed.

Folks,
The Radio Shack F Type of connectors have never been
"Water Proof" no matter what is will say on the packing.

The Compression type of F conectiors are the best out on the market for "Water Proof" connectors.

You can rant all you want about F conectors from store-a and F connectors from Store-b. But being in the business, if you are wanting the best F connectors then DO NOT USE ANY CRIMP ON CONNECTORS OR TWIST ON F CONNECTORS FOR OUTSIDE USEAGE !!!! The will ALL sooner or later leak. If you spend all this money on your system then do not skipp on the weekest point of all systems.

THE F CONNECTORS.

Folks, Invest in a good type of F connector and crimper.

Look at these :

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Perfect/Digicon-DS6.htm

You will see what REAL F Connectors look like.

AGAIN, Don't skimp on the connectors.

OK, Now you guys can start to bad mouth me. Lay it on!

Norman

Last edited:
I've been using the other compression connectors (PPC EX6XL) that Sadoun sells ( http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Perfect/PPC-EX.htm ) since I first saw them when my Starband Internet system was installed. The installer claimed they were much better than the older crimp on ones I had been using. The Sadoun page shows a cutaway of why the connectors are so good at being weatherproof.

hwh said:
I've been using the other compression connectors (PPC EX6XL) that Sadoun sells ( http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Perfect/PPC-EX.htm ) since I first saw them when my Starband Internet system was installed. The installer claimed they were much better than the older crimp on ones I had been using. The Sadoun page shows a cutaway of why the connectors are so good at being weatherproof.

Here-Here Hank

Norman

OK Norman you have peaked my interest in these compression connectors. I have some cables with those on there in my setup currently.

Where can I get one of these crimpers? Are most consumer compression crimpers the same or are there basic, medium and pro? I never liked the old crimpers and thats why I use twist on.

I've seen the ends but it looks like most crimpers are the same

Norman,
I took a look at those and they are pretty interesting, thanks for the heads up!

thats what I thoguth too DrHydro...If I can get one of these compression tools locally, I may just have to switch to them

EVERYONE sells the compression tools now (Home Depot/Menard's) ! I use nothing but compression connectors and of course dielectric grease!

There are reasonably priced versions for around $10 all the way up to commercial ones for around $100 (Thats what I paid for mine, got it when I worked in Cable-SPIT)

Thanks Hank, was wondering if the 19.00 version would work.

Hi Sadoun,
All I really need is the compression tool and f connectors, will item # 6 work for my needs?

Thats what I thought too. I already have the coax cutter and the stripper (have 3 of them) but the crimper is what I needed :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts