Rain Fade Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Just curious if D* has a major issue with rain fade. In clear skies, I have signal strength on most transponders in the high 90s-100. However, it seems every time it more than sprinkles outside, I lose signal. I had E* for years and although I had rain fade, it was never near this bad.

Since all my signals are what they are, am I to believe that D*'s signals are weaker than E*? I am not going back to E* because this issue because I live in Laredo and we can go 4-5 months without a cloudy day. It just so happens that the week after we get D* installed its been raining almost every day. Anyone with knowledge on this issue care to tune in?

BTW I have the SL5 dish, with the correct dual arm mounting hardware. This install as far as I can tell is pretty much by the book.

Last edited:
It must be something with you being in Texas. We live in Washington state where it rains a lot and we might get a rain fade once a year if that. It has to due with the clouds blocking the signal. Everything is bigger in Texas.

Just curious if D* has a major issue with rain fade. In clear skies, I have signal strength on most transponders in the high 90s-100. However, it seems every time it more than sprinkles outside, I lose signal. I had E* for years and although I had rain fade, it was never near this bad.

Since all my signals are what they are, am I to believe that D*'s signals are weaker than E*? I am not going back to E* because this issue because I live in Laredo and we can go 4-5 months without a cloudy day. It just so happens that the week after we get D* installed its been raining almost every day. Anyone with knowledge on this issue care to tune in?

BTW I have the SL5 dish, with the correct dual arm mounting hardware. This install as far as I can tell is pretty much by the book.

Signal loss from weather is called rain fade because rain is associated with the atmospheric conditions that cause signal problems. You can be on the edge of a system like a hurricane or blizzard and not get precipitation at your location. The system will work during most rain events.

Try this. Next time it happens see if a neighbor is having the same problem. See if all receivers are getting similar signals. Then check a radar display (The Weather Channel = 362) and see what is going on south of you.

Take a look at all outside fittings. An uncompressed fitting will fill with water pretty fast. The absence of a drip loop will allow water to follow a cable until it finds a fitting or low spot. Cable dings from staples or rodent bites can also leak.

Joe

Signal loss from weather is called rain fade because rain is associated with the atmospheric conditions that cause signal problems. You can be on the edge of a system like a hurricane or blizzard and not get precipitation at your location. The system will work during most rain events.

Try this. Next time it happens see if a neighbor is having the same problem. See if all receivers are getting similar signals. Then check a radar display (The Weather Channel = 362) and see what is going on south of you.

Take a look at all outside fittings. An uncompressed fitting will fill with water pretty fast. The absence of a drip loop will allow water to follow a cable until it finds a fitting or low spot. Cable dings from staples or rodent bites can also leak.

Joe

Nicely said.

Also check your mast pole and make sure its not flimsy. Slighest wind would effect if flimsy.

Nicely said.

Also check your mast pole and make sure its not flimsy. Slighest wind would effect if flimsy.

Yes,

Good catch! If the tech used the existing DISH pole or mast it could have been placed there many years ago. A mast bolted to a shingle roof will rock back and forth in the wind unless properly attached but seem secure.

Joe

Rain fade actually happens when the cloud in between you and the bird is overly saturated with moisture. This attenuates the k band signal, after it starts to release its moisture your signal returns while it's raining. The only time Direct should go out is when the cloud is full (to keep it simple) light to mid rain showers should not even be noticed.

You have something else going on there like moisture in a connection. This is where I would start troubleshooting.

i agree with everyone else here ... i have to have a really heavy down poor here or in a distance to be affected...

also check if your dish is near a spout or by something where you get too much water collected on it ...

Since all my signals are what they are, am I to believe that D*'s signals are weaker than E*?
DIRECTV uses Ka band for their HD channels and it is indeed more susceptible to rain fade. The SD channels are mostly Ku band (as are all of DISH's channels) and should be more resistant to fade.

Given the scenario that you present, I'd say your dish isn't "peaked" for optimum performance. You have about a month to get this straightened out on their dime, so keep after them. Call them when the signals on 99W or 103W are particularly bad.

If a DIRECTV installer is putting a Slimline dish on a 1-5/8" mast, their feet should never be allowed to touch the Earth again.

I know what you mean.

I have stopped judging crappy installations because I know some are done under pressure, in the dark, during snow and rain and often by poorly trained, pissed off or unmotivated non craftsmen. This is rare but happens. When you don't have all the details you gotta consider the possibilities.

Best one was a dish bolted to a dead car. They were careful to push it back into the same spot after the fire department left! Duct tape and or wire will make masts thicker...it happens.

Joe

Well thanks for the helpful replies. I have checked all connections, they are great. The installation, like I stated earlier, is top notch (It was preformed by Mastek installers, and they put up their own mast which is secured very well. All the lines look correct, grounded, w/drip lines. I am pretty picky when it comes to installations and this is the best installation I have ever had. The signals are all between95-100 on all but a few transponders on all Satellites.

I think I may just be overly worried about the signal strength because of the timings of the storm right after my installation. The rains we have been having lately have come from Hurricane Karl and have brought an incredible amount of rain. The signal is actually going out just as the rain starts, after 10-15 minutes the signal returns, but the rain has come down, pretty heavy at times, all day long. And it didn't affect the signal all afternoon. Tvropro and Joe Diamond's post have me thinking this is more my problem than anything.

I also hardly ever watch SD channels, next time they drop I will check the SD's and see if any of those come in.

Since the signals are different (Ka vs. Ku) this might be comparing apples and oranges, but does anyone know if D* or E* signals are stronger? I know E* signals recently have upgraded significantly with the addition of new birds. Didn't know if D* signals were considered weak, strong, pretty much equal to E*'s. Again, Thanks for the replies.

When I get rain fade, it starts just before or after the rain starts. It recovers during the storm. Mostly if you look at the radar its rains that are red on the radar that kill it. It's a heavy moisture thing that attenuates ku & ka. On C band it could be hurricane rain and it works flawless. All my ku goes out (FTA * choice etc) when it pours buckets, Actually it seems like Direct can stay up while my other ku dies. It's the nature of higher frequency's. C band is the only one I can totally rely on to stay up. It's too bad most of the subscription stuff has been killed off. C band was the best and always will be in my book. Everything else plays second fiddle.

When I get rain fade, it starts just before or after the rain starts. It recovers during the storm. Mostly if you look at the radar its rains that are red on the radar that kill it. It's a heavy moisture thing that attenuates ku & ka. On C band it could be hurricane rain and it works flawless. All my ku goes out (FTA * choice etc) when it pours buckets, Actually it seems like Direct can stay up while my other ku dies. It's the nature of higher frequency's. C band is the only one I can totally rely on to stay up. It's too bad most of the subscription stuff has been killed off. C band was the best and always will be in my book. Everything else plays second fiddle.

ha ha going to hack my own thread here, but consumers killed C band. The common person never was going to put up with having a huge dish in their back yard. I would! But the normal consumer welcomed the small dish and subscription fee service.

ha ha going to hack my own thread here, but consumers killed C band. The common person never was going to put up with having a huge dish in their back yard. I would! But the normal consumer welcomed the small dish and subscription fee service.

I had one, till the programming started to go away ....

One thing you can try is, if your signals go out when it's raining cats and dogs, change down to the SD channel till it passes , theres a good chance that that may still work. Usually you can at least finish watching what you were watching.

also did you need like more then 1 dish if you had 2 tv and wanted to view any thing on any tv at the same time?

DRV?

C band does not give you all the frills that pizza gives. But it is the Broadcast industry choice for transmission. Nothing beats the picture quality of a first generation master, and there is NO RAIN FADE! I used to watch C band during storms (and still can) that totally kill Direct and would be getting a 99 signal quality on my 4DTV. Can't beat that with a stick :D If there was a way I could access all the cable DC2 and PowerVu masters with subs again I would toss Direct tomorrow. Once you had candy for so many years it hurts when it's gone.

C band does not give you all the frills that pizza gives. But it is the Broadcast industry choice for transmission. Nothing beats the picture quality of a first generation master, and there is NO RAIN FADE! I used to watch C band during storms (and still can) that totally kill Direct and would be getting a 99 signal quality on my 4DTV. Can't beat that with a stick :D If there was a way I could access all the cable DC2 and PowerVu masters with subs again I would toss Direct tomorrow. Once you had candy for so many years it hurts when it's gone.

I always had great picture till I would come home from work and the dish would be filled with snow .... then I got nothing or Sparkles till I had time to go out and clean it off.

I then moved and went with the D* as I didn't want to have to deal with taking the C-Band down and re installing it again.

However, if they still had programming that they did back then, I might consider it.

I think it cost me like $500-600 that was programming and the ST , now I pay 3 x that.

Well back on topic, it is absolutely POURING outside right now, and I still have all my channels in HD and SD. My signals are by and large in the lower 80's. Now I am sure I was just getting worried over nothing because of the new installation.

Well back on topic, it is absolutely POURING outside right now, and I still have all my channels in HD and SD. My signals are by and large in the lower 80's. Now I am sure I was just getting worried over nothing because of the new installation.

Cool,

Uh, a question?

Where you are in Texas...does it rain cats and dogs or gato and perro?

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)