Raleigh HD Locals (WRAL & WRAZ) & EPG Issues

If I'm not mistaken I think you half to subscribe to your locals from Dish to get the guide data. But I could be wrong. I think Dish has the Raleigh ABC 6465 NBC 6467 two of the four locals in HD for those who don't have a OTA on sat 118.75. Dish has all 4 HD locals for Charlotte ABC 6483,CBS 6484,NBC 6485,Fox 6486 Sat 118.75.

I also live in Raleigh and recently upgraded to the 622. I have noticed the same problem as Pakbackr. Programing information for OTA on WRAL & WRAZ seem to come and go. I get a 100% siganl with just an inexpensive indoor OTA antenna.

Has anyone noticed the OTA signal strength varies greatly on windy days???? The last few days with the wind, whenever the gusts get really strong, the signal drops into the 60's and 70's and the channel (WRAL-HD) drops out for a few seconds.

When the wind is calm, the signal is rock solid 100......

Has anyone noticed the OTA signal strength varies greatly on windy days???? The last few days with the wind, whenever the gusts get really strong, the signal drops into the 60's and 70's and the channel (WRAL-HD) drops out for a few seconds.

Come out to Clayton and watch the towers rock :D

ok so im a noob to dish (always had DTV and dropped them because they are A** holes). Got our new stuff installed and all of the SAT programing is great. We do get locals in SD but not HD via dish. So I busted out a off air HD antenna to hit the locals. To my surprise I get all of them in HD (wow)! Ok now the problem starts. I get 9 off air HD locals and 4 of them just say "Digital Service" dish said that that data is transmitted over the air not VIA the SAT. Is that true or were they giving me the total blow off? / Is there any way to get the guide to fill that in from the EPG data for the locals they broadcast via sat in SD?

Sub channel guide data will not show up, only the .1 main HD channel.
Other local digital channels not included in Dish SD package will not show up.

I'm new to all this, but also noticing flaky behavior on the WRAL and WRAZ guide data... I have a 622, HD pkg, and an OTA antenna. The data for the Sat channels was ok.. but guide data for those 2 channels (others were fine) was missing.

I was able to force a new download thru the menus (what is the recommended way??) and then I got guide data again.

Mike

Yes! Very frustrating..esp when watching NASCAR WRAZ on a clear day. My signal will be 99 one moment and then drop completely due to wind. I will be so glad when Dish finally gets WRAL & WRAZ on the sats!

OK...I'm in Raleigh, I have the ViP622, I have the HD package, and I subscribe to the locals. I only get the SD locals. Do I have to do something special to get the HD locals? I figured since I have my locals and HD I'd automatically get the HD locals, but apparently it doesn't work that way?

OK...I'm in Raleigh, I have the ViP622, I have the HD package, and I subscribe to the locals. I only get the SD locals. Do I have to do something special to get the HD locals? I figured since I have my locals and HD I'd automatically get the HD locals, but apparently it doesn't work that way?
You need a DISH500+ or DISH1000+ Dish to get the 118W orbital Satellite which currently carries the ABC and NBC HD channels from RDU market.

You need a DISH500+ or DISH1000+ Dish to get the 118W orbital Satellite which currently carries the ABC and NBC HD channels from RDU market.

Ah...they gave me a Dish 1000 (no +) when they installed mine. I've had it for a little over a year, and they didn't offer Raleigh HD locals at the time. Will they charge me out the wazoo to replace the Dish, or is it something they'll "fix" for free?

A week later and my guide started showing "No info" for WRAL and WRAZ again... go in the setup menu, point sat, and the forced EPG update grabs the info. These are the only 2 channels with the problem... Will it be effective to keep callnig dish every time this happens, or is there somewhere to email?

Thx,
Mike

Ah...they gave me a Dish 1000 (no +) when they installed mine. I've had it for a little over a year, and they didn't offer Raleigh HD locals at the time. Will they charge me out the wazoo to replace the Dish, or is it something they'll "fix" for free?

It cost me around $59 a few months back. Maybe different now but I doubt you'll get it free.

It cost me around $59 a few months back. Maybe different now but I doubt you'll get it free.

I can handle $59. Did it put you under (or extend) a contract when you did it? I've never been under a contract with Dish and don't really want to start one.

I can handle $59. Did it put you under (or extend) a contract when you did it? I've never been under a contract with Dish and don't really want to start one.
I can't remember, sorry. Are you planning on cancelling DISH or moving within the year? If not, what does it matter?

I can't remember, sorry. Are you planning on cancelling DISH or moving within the year? If not, what does it matter?

Not planning on cancelling, but don't like being under a contract in case I do decide to cancel for some reason. If they do something that really ticks me off I want to be free to dump them without having to worry about any penalties. I paid the $49 install fee rather than take the free install when I first had Dish installed just so I wouldn't be on a contract. Been thinking about getting a bigger house so might be moving, but that's nothing definite at this point. Would most likely keep Dish if possible at the new place if I do move.

Not planning on cancelling, but don't like being under a contract in case I do decide to cancel for some reason. If they do something that really ticks me off I want to be free to dump them without having to worry about any penalties. I paid the $49 install fee rather than take the free install when I first had Dish installed just so I wouldn't be on a contract. Been thinking about getting a bigger house so might be moving, but that's nothing definite at this point. Would most likely keep Dish if possible at the new place if I do move.

I understand not wanting to give away your freedom and all, but if I am not planning on going anywhere for a year anyway who cares if they are counting the days. DISH is the only HD game in town right now and that is all I care about. If D* ever does have 100 HD channels, E* will have 100 +VOOM. I also heard DISH will let you out of the contract if you move somewhere that you can't get a signal (if verified by installer).

Do you just put in enough gas to get you to the next station? :D

I would say it depends on the CSR you get when you call to request your upgrade. I got a 500+ installed recently in order to get the 118 location. They wanted to charge me $100 or $59 with 18 months commitment. I politely reminded my CSR that, about a year ago I had paid $100 for an upgrade to my Vip622, which supposedly included everything needed to get all Dish HD programming. Granted, at the time Raleigh HD locals weren't available, and I'm not sure anyone knew they'd be in the 118 location (don't think the appropriate Dish was available yet to get that satellite), but nonetheless, I ended up paying $100 basically for someone to come and do nothing (I already had my dish pointing to 61.5, and I plugged in the 622 myself, so they literally had to show up just to do nothing); so I felt I was being charged twice for the same thing. After consulting with someone she obliged and agreed to waive the fee in exchange for the 18 months commitment.

Now, don't be in a rush to get HD locals from Dish if you get a good OTA signal. As you probably know, they don't offer CBS or Fox, and not only they are not offered but once you connect the 118 signal their EPG for the OTA channels gets all messed up, as you might read in this thread and others in this forum. I've had basically to physically disconnect the 118 satellite from my switch, given that I prefer to have a reliable EPG rather than a couple HD channels I get OTA anyway and have my DVR timers not to fire due to this EPG issues. So I'd be really pissed off if I had had to pay for it.

If E* ever adds WRAL and WRAZ to their lineup (I know WLFL would be too much to ask, even though D* does offer it), then all will be dandy, but for now, it's probably not worth it.

dunno about everyone else, but over the past 10 days I have not (knock wood) lost my EPG data for WRAL /WRAZ. I'm thinking its related to us now having the sub-channel guide data.. something they did in adding that fixed the other problem....

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)