Random Internet Disconnect on HR54/500 after 1/16 update

Status
Please reply by conversation.

idomagic

Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I can't get rewind or on demand to work after the recent software update. Although I show connected and a speed test results in over 4K speed, during a rewind or download Directv sends a fail message. I get a general fail message indicating it failed to connect to Directv and everything stops and any memory of the requested download disappears. I also get an error telling me it failed to connect but then it tells me Directv will try again. Lastly, I get a fail notification and I am offered the option to test the connection or try again. If I test the connection, it is always FINE, it never fails. Interestingly enough, sometimes if I am watching a recorded show and the connection fails, the screen goes black, it dumps me out of the show I am watching and returns me to live TV. No messages. I have two minis on the service, both have not shown any issues with streaming content from the DVR, they also cannot utilize rewind or on demand.

I am connected to the internet through a DECA adaptor. I get 60mbs internet.

I've had two techs from Directv out, both didn't fix it. The most recent one mentioned a bulletin that said there were several people experienceing this. In follow up with Directv, nobody can seem to find it.

Here are some facts and things I have tried omitting the obvious like resetting everything, powering everything off for a long period of time, reinitializing the network, unplugging and plugging everything back in and cursing at the devices in case they were sensitive to criticism.

1. Replaced the receiver.
2. Connected to the internet via DECA, wireless 5Ghz, wireless 2.4Ghz and a powerline adaptor via the ethernet port on the receiver.
3. Assigned a static IP to the receiver on the router.
3a. Manually set up the IP on the receiver. Also tried resetting it so it obtained the static address.
3b. Set the DHCP lease time to 7 days.
4. Set up port forwarding of UDP 8088 and 8089 on the router (looks like it's used for mobile DVR only though).
5. Installed updated firmware on the router (Trendnet TEW-828DRU).
6. Checked with Comcast for any outtages or possible port blocking or throttling.
7. Installed network software (EMCO Ping Monitor Free 6) and pinged the receiver, the router and google for long periods of time to check for any problems. Even pinged the receiver during a disconnect event and confirmed that the router, the receiver and google all continued to respond normally.
8. Enabled logging on the router which confirmed nothing happens during a disconnect event.
9. Reset the satellite connection (like a new install),
10. Replaced the wall plate between the receiver and the satellite/DECA.

At this point, all I can figure is it's a software issue or possibly something wrong in the RG6 cable somewhere. Any ideas out there?

Mine hasn't worked in along time....even before any updates. Says my speed is to slow, but its not. My on demand or rewind won't work. Pandora works fine on it. I've called DTV, The reps don't have a clue and are no help

I can't get rewind or on demand to work after the recent software update. Although I show connected and a speed test results in over 4K speed, during a rewind or download Directv sends a fail message. I get a general fail message indicating it failed to connect to Directv and everything stops and any memory of the requested download disappears. I also get an error telling me it failed to connect but then it tells me Directv will try again. Lastly, I get a fail notification and I am offered the option to test the connection or try again. If I test the connection, it is always FINE, it never fails. Interestingly enough, sometimes if I am watching a recorded show and the connection fails, the screen goes black, it dumps me out of the show I am watching and returns me to live TV. No messages. I have two minis on the service, both have not shown any issues with streaming content from the DVR, they also cannot utilize rewind or on demand.

2. Connected to the internet via DECA, wireless 5Ghz, wireless 2.4Ghz and a powerline adaptor via the ethernet port on the receiver.

1. Which version / firmware are you on (HR DRV)?
2. The primary HR gets internet via the DECA adapter which should be directly connected to your router on one of the 4 ports. The other side should be directly connected to your splitter and a fairly short run. Hopefully the DTV replaced the splitter with a newer one?
3. The HR is connected to the splitter on first port (DC Pass Through) which it wouldn't work if it wasn't anyway
4. What is the power line (Ethernet over Power adapter) being used for? I could not tell and if it's plugged into a power strip that is most likely an issue to address as they need to be directly connected to an outlet.
5. Did DTV replace the DECA adapter?
6. check your bufferbloat at dslreports / speedtest and post results

I will stop there and let you answer these first.

I attached two tests to show good and bad

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 7.29.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 7.29.51 AM.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 7.27.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 7.27.32 AM.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 242
:welcome to Satelliteguys idomagic!

Which Genie do you have, HR54 or HS17?

1. Which version / firmware are you on (HR DRV)?
0xd8f is the software installed on 1/16. I force updated it yesterday but it's the same.
2. The primary HR gets internet via the DECA adapter which should be directly connected to your router on one of the 4 ports. The other side should be directly connected to your splitter and a fairly short run. Hopefully the DTV replaced the splitter with a newer one?
It's not a "fairly short run," I would guess it's well over 50' from the DECA to the receiver. The splitter is about 20' from the main DVR and the DECA is about 30' from the splitter.
3. The HR is connected to the splitter on first port (DC Pass Through) which it wouldn't work if it wasn't anyway
I think this is configured correctly.
4. What is the power line (Ethernet over Power adapter) being used for? I could not tell and if it's plugged into a power strip that is most likely an issue to address as they need to be directly connected to an outlet.
I am not using it for anything, we just tested the system using it to see if it fived anything.
5. Did DTV replace the DECA adapter?
It as installed as a fix to my issues. It continued after the install (it did not change anything)
6. check your bufferbloat at dslreports / speedtest and post results

Attachments

• Bloat.pdf
    592.8 KB · Views: 287
0xd8f is the software installed on 1/16. I force updated it yesterday but it's the same.

Looking at your speedtest results it appears your router is not keeping up with the traffic on your network. This will for sure impact your on-demand services as they are realtime traffic. When you see a bufferbloat rating of "D" I can guarantee you will not get quality real time streams (VOD). Some services like Netflix have coded ways in their app to deal with buffering by either lowering resolution or other ways to compensate for these issues. I can't what DTV is doing for sure but I have seen other carriers including DTV not mitigate these issues as it's not the primary delivery of their service. In our case SAT is the primary and VOD is secondary so DTV can easily get away with saying it's best effort since they are not proving the internet to you.

I do suggest upgrading your router which was released in 2014 and has many complaints about issues with streaming etc. Pick one up at BB and if it improves nothing then return it but I am very confident this is your issue.

If you get 1036 pushed to you it will correct that condition -perhaps
What is this and how do I get it pushed to me?
I do suggest upgrading your router which was released in 2014
When I ran the test I was backing up to both Amazon drive and Dropbox. Retests have resulted in a "B" rating on bloat. But you still recommend a new router? What about installing a new OS like DD-WRT on it? Do you think that would improve it?

Do you have an HR54 or HS-17? (DTV DVR)? need to know in order to answer how to update or have to wait.

B is better but run it about 5 times and see if you dip back down again (whats the average?)

Having clients use up the available bandwidth running things in the background will also cause VOD issues. This is where QOS comes in handy.

DD-WRT could help but it's real purpose in life is to enable you to be able to VPN your network into the internet. Idea is that it conceals your data and IP from your carrier as you pay the VPN provider to not log your ip address and assign your router a random one. If it supports QOS this can help your local network deal with real time traffic (Video). I have used it in the past and I didn't find it to be faster but I was using it as a second network for VPN use. If you are knowledgeable on changing firmware you can do it but they don't make it easy and it's buggy as it's best effort. There are stable versions but not for all models etc.

Router CPU / software and or settings / topology / clients / all play a role aside from your internet provider.

Do you have an HR54 or HS-17? (DTV DVR)
I have an HR54/400. I hope you find this funny... it's in the thread title :) - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me here. I super appreciate the DD-WRT info, there is so much documentation on it about install and prepping for install, it's to drill down and understand what the benefits were... I was just going to try it.

I went ahead and purchased a Linksys EA8300 that I'll install tomorrow and see if it fixes the streaming. That said I probably need to rebuild my entire network to test and make sure it's not a device causing trouble. Anything jumps out at you? I have a small device that monitors my solar system plugged in via ethernet and I stream my Vizio TV and connect a Windows 10 desktop via a powerline adapter next to the router. The wireless serves a couple iPad and iPhones, as well as my W10 laptop, my wife's MacBook, a ring doorbell, a blink wireless camera system, a couple Amazon devices and a TP-link smart outlet (wow, that made me realize how privileged I am to have all this, but I digress). There are also two minis on the system but I think they connect via the RG6 cable.

I'll report back after I install the new router and run some tests.

So you have which DRV :) If you want to update to 0X1036 you will have to force the download between 3 AM and 7 AM ET Monday - Friday it's in the stream to update as of late. Was not there this weekend, but get your stuff all setup first before updating.

The new Router you chose was built with streaming in mind so it for sure will help but again need to make sure your local network is behaving too. The new router looks to have implemented bandwidth sharing for WiFi but not sure about locally connected devices so that is my only concern with it.

Just make sure the power line adapter is directly connected to the outlet as they will drop packets if they are connected to a power strip.

The two Mini's being COAX is fine as they connect back to the HR54.

Make sure the DECA is directly connected on the ethernet side to the new router LAN ports. The COAX side should be into your splitter as it is today.

Start there, I have other ideas on how tweak things but replacing the route is step one, if that doesn't improve VOD I will be shocked and it would imply something else is going on. Your internet provider is who? Do you have auto backup's set to the cloud?

I am connected to the internet through a DECA adaptor. I get 60mbs internet.

I've had two techs from Directv out, both didn't fix it. The most recent one mentioned a bulletin that said there were several people experienceing this. In follow up with Directv, nobody can seem to find it.

Here are some facts and things I have tried omitting the obvious like resetting everything, powering everything off for a long period of time, reinitializing the network, unplugging and plugging everything back in and cursing at the devices in case they were sensitive to criticism.

1. Replaced the receiver.
3. Assigned a static IP to the receiver on the router.
3a. Manually set up the IP on the receiver. Also tried resetting it so it obtained the static address.
3b. Set the DHCP lease time to 7 days.
4. Set up port forwarding of UDP 8088 and 8089 on the router (looks like it's used for mobile DVR only though).
5. Installed updated firmware on the router (Trendnet TEW-828DRU).
6. Checked with Comcast for any outtages or possible port blocking or throttling.
7. Installed network software (EMCO Ping Monitor Free 6) and pinged the receiver, the router and google for long periods of time to check for any problems. Even pinged the receiver during a disconnect event and confirmed that the router, the receiver and google all continued to respond normally.
8. Enabled logging on the router which confirmed nothing happens during a disconnect event.
9. Reset the satellite connection (like a new install),
10. Replaced the wall plate between the receiver and the satellite/DECA.

At this point, all I can figure is it's a software issue or possibly something wrong in the RG6 cable somewhere. Any ideas out there?

Starting over- As a "TEST" before setting up a new router - I would suggest connecting your HR54 direct with a "LONG" (TEMP) Lan cable connected to the lan port and by pass your power line connection.

First hr54 Clear current internet setting - Insert lan cable re boot hr54 - then redo and connect the hr54- remove your cck (just unplung the lan cable - then reboot each receiver in your house.

(NOTE) after doing this - wait 24 to 48 hours for vod to fully rebuild - it's not instant although checking your internet connection should show connect reslult

power line work best ( if they) are on the sane side of your electrical bus bar in your panel - mean both breakers on the same side.

They will work but are not the best option - Only a hard wire test can confirm that - Connecting the HR54 Hard wire will allow you to disconnect the CCK from your switch as the lan port on the 54 D0es both deca

Have you tried searching for the term CLEARMYBOX like it was a TV show and letting the receiver reset? If not, let all the Internet fiddling from above settle, and then do that. Then wait 12-24 hours and you should be good to go.

Techiefan: Sorry to report that I’ve tried a new Linksys EA8300 and have the same problems.

vazhog: I’m connected via DECA, are you suggesting I bypass the DECA and run a 35’ ethernet connection direct to the receiver?

ejb1980: I’ll let you know what happens after the clearmybox process.

Again. Thanks to everyone for trying to help here. My next effort will be replacing the modem I guess.

FYI, I just did a new speed test through DSLreports and buffer bloat scored an A. The system won’t let me post a link to the report but you can just past this after the dot com in dslreports. /speedtest/29639620

FYI, I just did a new speed test through DSLreports and buffer bloat scored an A. The system won’t let me post a link to the report but you can just past this after the dot com in dslreports. /speedtest/29639620
Here it is for the rest of the folks since you can't attach it. Results look very good and ideal for streaming but as you noted it didn't fix the actual issue but looks to have cleared other issues. Don't give up now, your'e close :)

Try to directly connect the HR to the router to eliminate any DECA issues, if that doesn't work the issue is beyond the router, could be provider which I doubt after seeing the last test result. Also you are on the older software / GUI, I can't say for sure but maybe upgrading the firmware to 0X1036 will fix it, it's in the stream as of late M-F 3AM to 7 AM ET.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 6.12.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 6.12.39 AM.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 174
Techiefan: Sorry to report that I’ve tried a new Linksys EA8300 and have the same problems.

vazhog: I’m connected via DECA, are you suggesting I bypass the DECA and run a 35’ ethernet connection direct to the receiver?

ejb1980: I’ll let you know what happens after the clearmybox process.

Again. Thanks to everyone for trying to help here. My next effort will be replacing the modem I guess.
YES to see if it changes anything by connecting the hr54 direct wired or wireless you no longer need the cck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)