Random Thoughts at the All-Star Break (My last post before I leave for vacation)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Where does he rank in wins? That really is the only number that concerns me. Enjoying your baseball season yet?;)

Ah, the ultimate debate between ERA and Wins.....

I'm just saying, the Wins Stat can often times be skewed. Cliff doesn't play defense and doesn't bat. He has no control over how many runs his team scores or whether his manager lets an uncoordinated First Baseman/DH play Right Field when he pitches.

For instance, which of the two would you consider the better pitcher this year? Tim Wakefield or Edwin Jackson?

On one had, you have a guy who leads the AL in wins with 11. He also happens to have a not too impressive ERA of 4.31. Did he turn some of those not-to-impressive outings into wins on the heels of the great run support provided by those intimidating bats in Boston?

The next subject we have is poor Edwin Jackson. This poor sap has threw for over 121 innings and still has a very impressive 2.52 ERA (nearly 2 points lower than Wakefield!), while compiling a ho-hum 7-4 record. He stuck out nearly 100 batters and has only walked 35. What if Edwin had the same run support as in Boston? I'll tell you what. He'd have more wins and the comparison between the two wouldn't even be close.

Ah, the ultimate debate between ERA and Wins.....

I'm just saying, the Wins Stat can often times be skewed. Cliff doesn't play defense and doesn't bat. He has no control over how many runs his team scores or whether his manager lets an uncoordinated First Baseman/DH play Right Field when he pitches.

For instance, which of the two would you consider the better pitcher this year? Tim Wakefield or Edwin Jackson?

On one had, you have a guy who leads the AL in wins with 11. He also happens to have a not too impressive ERA of 4.31. Did he turn some of those not-to-impressive outings into wins on the heels of the great run support provided by those intimidating bats in Boston?

The next subject we have is poor Edwin Jackson. This poor sap has threw for over 121 innings and still has a very impressive 2.52 ERA, while compiling a ho-hum 7-4 record. He stuck out nearly 100 batters and has only walked 35. What if Edwin had the same run support as in Boston? I'll tell you what. He'd have more wins and the comparison between the two wouldn't even be close.

Your point is made. Jackson should have 12 wins by my count.

Sabre - What's this, like the third vacation in the last year? I haven't had a vacation in 5 years.

Finally, I hope all goes well on this site while I'm gone. IMO, this site
will be in good hands while I'm gone- I trust you guys.

What are you nuts? As soon as you're gone the Hooters pictures are coming back out.:D:eek:

Sabre - What's this, like the third vacation in the last year? I haven't had a vacation in 5 years.

Finally, I hope all goes well on this site while I'm gone. IMO, this site
will be in good hands while I'm gone- I trust you guys.

What are you nuts? As soon as you're gone the Hooters pictures are coming back out.:D:eek:

This kid is spoiled rotten I tell you. ;) :D

1. What MLB team is the most pleasant surprise at the break? (IMO, it's the Giants- ironic how after being defined for over a decade by Barry Bonds' bat, they are now making a name for themselves with strong pitching- proof that there is life after Barry. Maybe Bruce Bochy knew what he was doing when he took the managerial job there! Honorable mention- Texas Rangers. They're playing well even with Josh Hamilton sidelined. Also throwing in the Mariners for rebounding from last year's nightmare)

The Rockies...saw a couple of games in Spring Training plus the way they started the season and thought they along with the Padres were the 2 worst teams that I saw. Now just 2 games behind the Giants for the Wildcard.

2. On the flip side, what team is the biggest dissapointment at the break? Some teams I thought of for this have excuses- Indians have injuries and a bad bullpen, Mets decimated with injuries. I'm going with the Cubs- underachieving in a winnable division, Milton Bradley doing what he always does (wreck the team), etc.

The Mets...tons of teams have injuries, the Mets problem is that they are leaderless and have no heart. (Dis)Honorable mention, D'backs...basically Mets West.

6. One thing I find interesting is that some places with a hockey team are dismissed as not being real hockey cities (Nashville, Atlanta), yet you don't hear any places with a baseball team seen by some as not being a real hockey city.

:cough: Phoenix :cough:

7. Some people complain about the lack of scoring in soccer. Honestly, my only problem with futbol are the ties- hockey finally ditched it in 2004, I just wish soccer could do so. If a game is scoreless, settle it and decide a winner- golden goal, sudden death, penalty kicks, anything!

Hard to put an over/under on a "Soccer" game. :D

8. In sports, one thing that annoys me is purists who don't like the changes over time- honestly, I can't stand them. These are people who think 75-73 Spurs/Pistons games are great basketball, wish to abolish the Wild Card, complained about night games, and that hitters are too dominant when offensive numbers are through the roof. I don't want to go back to the days when teams combine for only 3 hits in 1 game! :rant::rant:

Bob Costas now thinks that the Wildcard has improved baseball. Baby steps, my friend,baby steps.

10. Last year, many of us were dead wrong on who'd finish at the bottom of the NFL with what the Ravens, Dolphins, and Falcons did. I'm not saying the Rams or Lions will win 10 games, but let's be careful when making our predictions!

I had the Rams as the worst team in the NFL last season, and only a blip from a coaching change saved them from being winless also. But they are horrid, they are the new Cardinals. ;)

11. Any of you ever been to a restaurant called Claimjumpers? It's mainly located in California- they have a very good appetitizer menu, some impressive burgers and ribs, plus a dessert menu to die for.
Here's the link: :: CLAIM JUMPER RESTAURANTS ::

Have one near where I work here in Arizona, seems to be Ruth's Chris meets Applebee's.

12. The Nationals fired manager Manny Acta today. With everything that's gone wrong for them recently, they belong up there the top of the worst franchises in sports- Islanders, Clippers, Grizzlies, Lions, etc.

See Question 10. :D

13. How do you feel about your MLB team at this point in the season? (Personally, I'm not happy with the A's. They can't hit, are way out of the AL West race- I'm still a fan of them, but they are NOT showing signs of getting better this season!)

The Mariners are still fools gold to me. They are competitive, and much improved from last season, but unless they go out and trade for a couple of bats can't stay in the race in the AL West and setting themselves up for losing Bedard and Washburn to free agency after this season without getting anything in return.

17. What's the worst restaurant you've ever been to?

Jackie Chan had a restaurant in Honolulu called "Jackie's Kitchen". The food was mediocre and overpriced, were out a few items on the menu and didn't seem to care. The Restaurant went out of business in '07...wonder why.

18. How many of you have memories of the ice-cream truck in summer?

Could use one right now...it's been 110+ here in Arizona for 4 days straight...and the forecast is for to remain over 110 for the rest of the week. :yikes:

enjoy your time off sabres. disconnect from it all which includes this site. see ya soon :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts