Random Thoughts - Baseball Edition

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
1. Looks like hopefully the Red Sox and Yankees will cruise into two playoff spots, and if history is any indication, both teams will care more about setting themselves up for the post-season than about finishing in first place. This is why adding a wild card team next year will matter. First place will mean something.

2. Bizarre stat - while watching Giants/Marlins on Friday, the Marlins announcers stated the last 20 Giant home runs have been solo shots...TWENTY!!! Then Pablo Sandoval hit a solo home run in the first inning.

3. So the first time the Giants play the Marlins since the Cousins/Posey collision was apparently uneventful.

4. Anyone see Jason Marquis get hit on the comebacker against the Mets? Marquis pitched another inning with a broken fibula, and then collapsed. Those Staten Island guys are tough!

5. Watching baseball in the state of Florida right now is just depressing. Hopefully the Marlins new stadium will help, but I don't believe Tampa is in any stage of the new stadium process.

6. I think if I am picking a team right now and have the first draft pick overall, aside from pitchers I would pick Justin Upton. He's a monster. Talk about carrying a team...there is very little hitting in the Arizona lineup beyond Upton.

7. CC and Mariano pitching horribly right now, and we've still been gaining on the Red Sox.

8. Huge series starts tonight...Rangers and Angels.

9. Brandon League in Seattle has seriously nasty stuff. Hopefully a future Yankee closer!

10. Elvis Andrus makes way too many errors.

11. Gotta love the fan support in Seattle, considering their place in the standings.

12. Difficult to imagine why so many players are flocking to Philly these days...the home of the most disgustingly vile sports fans in the county. Seriously. Second place is not even close.

13. Was there a more improbable hitting streak than Dan Uggla's? The guy was hitting .173 when the hitting streak began!

14. Too bad a great baseball announcer like Gary Thorne is wasted in Baltimore.

15. Little League World Series time on ESPN!

Sandra

2. Actually, it was 21 and it was Cody Ross that hit the 2 run shot. You can add, three of the 4 HRs they hit during this game were also solo shots, and every run scored was due to a HR

5- while I can't comment on the marlins stadium. I have been by the stadium in Tampa bay, weird location nothing around it all as far as restaurants and things like that

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

13. Was there a more improbable hitting streak than Dan Uggla?'s? The guy was hitting .173 when the hitting streak began!

And .231 at the end of it, so unfortunately for the Braves, he didn't hit like .400 during it.

14. Too bad a great baseball announcer like Gary Thorne is wasted in Baltimore.

I enjoy Gary doing Hockey !!!

I'll be honest, I dont know how the Marlins will do in the new stadium. I mean when the team is half way decent nobody shows up. I wonder if a new stadium will change that.

Gary Thorne used to do the Mets telecast years ago and I thought he was good. I also thought he was good on hockey even though I'm not a big hockey fan.

18. SF and Detroit are the only two first place teams whom have been outscored by their opponents (given up more runs then they have scored). SF has scored the fewest runs in the NL and the second fewest, behind Seattle, in all of baseball. Shows pitching is more important than offense

18. SF and Detroit are the only two first place teams whom have been outscored by their opponents (given up more runs then they have scored). SF has scored the fewest runs in the NL and the second fewest, behind Seattle, in all of baseball. Shows pitching is more important than offense

The Giants are two and a half games behind Arizona...three in the loss. ;)

Sandra

Losing Buster Posey was huge for the Giants. He was their only offense, this year and last.

Losing Buster Posey was huge for the Giants. He was their only offense, this year and last.
Plus the fact that the entire team had career years last year, with the exception of Sandoval. Huff, Ross, Sanchez, and Burrell hadn't hit that well in a long time. The difference is, this year they are actually playing like we would expect (that includes Burrell on the DL)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)