Random Thoughts for Dummies (Not really- it's just a title)

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
The start of college football and almost-start of pro football edition!

1. Boise State-Virginia Tech. Wow. Totally lived up to the hype.

2. If North Carolina could play this well with all those players gone, how well will they look if any of them start playing again?

3. Props to Ohio State for not stubbing their toe the week before a big showdown at home. The last two years, they looked sluggish in their home games before they took on USC. This year, no such issues- I expect a VERY confident Buckeye team to show up against Miami.

4. Their game with Miami will be interesting after the two USC games- The U is not the media darling SC was, Ohio State won't be universally dismissed, and the game is not at night- rather, it's an afternoon start!

5. Oklahoma looked surprisingly sluggish against Utah State at home, a place where they usually kill teams like the Aggies. Could Florida State be the team to end their long home winning streak? OU hasn't lost at Norman since I was in high school!

6. The Big East isn't looking so hot so far. Somewhere, SamC is smiling.

7. Remember a few years ago when Auburn and Mississippi State played that 3-2 game? Well, they play on Thursday- let's hope they put on a better show!

8. Michigan football or the Lions- who'll have more wins in 2010?

9. How surprised would you be if Minnesota wins on opening night at the Superdome?

10. Which NFL game on Sunday are you most excited about?

11. I am a Bills fan, and they're playing Miami this weekend. I draftted 3 Dolphins on my Fantasy team, and I have been saying for the past few months that these Bills will be as bad as recent Lions team. What should I do here?!

12. Now that Revis is back with the J-E-T-S, how much does he improve their vaunted defense? Is he REALLY as good as I hear about?

13. How seriously should we take the Yankees' chance to repeat as world champs?

14. Every year, I hear about how the Minnesota Twins are so good at finding ways to win, how Gardenhire is such a great manager, etc. But they have made it past the first round just one time in his tenure- and that was eight years ago. How come they don't get the Cowboys/Chargers blame game for their inability to go far in the postseason more often than not?

15. Fill in the blank- at the end of this year, my NFL team will be (blank).

16. Finally, I want to end on a serious note. A week and a half ago, I underwent surgery to remove a cyst from my back in which 11 stitches were put in. As a result, I have not been able to sit down or lie on my back for a while. Tomorrow, the stitches finally come out!

1. Boise State-Virginia Tech. Wow. Totally lived up to the hype.

Yup, Good game.

4. Their game with Miami will be interesting after the two USC games- The U is not the media darling SC was, Ohio State won't be universally dismissed, and the game is not at night- rather, it's an afternoon start!

This game should be a Prime Time game, except there are sooooo many other great games as well scheduled.

8. Michigan football or the Lions- who'll have more wins in 2010?

This is an EXCELLENT Question. :up
M plays 12 games, Lions play 16

Both teams win 6

12. Now that Revis is back with the J-E-T-S, how much does he improve their vaunted defense? Is he REALLY as good as I hear about?

Yes he is, with him out there on an island, it gives the team the ability to run thier long list of blitz packages .... much like the Steeler's when Polamolo is in or out.

Thier Starting pitching is BAD outside of CC, but they will be picked to win it all, as usual.
For some reason, the Twins can't win in NY, Go Rays and Twins.

3. Props to Ohio State for not stubbing their toe the week before a big showdown at home. The last two years, they looked sluggish in their home games before they took on USC. This year, no such issues- I expect a VERY confident Buckeye team to show up against Miami.

Me too. Fans of the Canes are still miffed about 2003. Can't wait to put that one to rest just a little bit more come Saturday.

9. How surprised would you be if Minnesota wins on opening night at the Superdome?

Not that surprised if it does happen. The Superdome is extremely difficult on opposing teams, plus I am predicting the Vikings to lose a step or two this season. The NFC North will be won by the Packers. Mark it down.

10. Which NFL game on Sunday are you most excited about?

Browns/Bucs

He proved his worth last year. Now let's see if he can keep it up after his huge payday.

Baseball is still going on? Jeeze!

14. Every year, I hear about how the Minnesota Twins are so good at finding ways to win, how Gardenhire is such a great manager, etc. But they have made it past the first round just one time in his tenure- and that was eight years ago. How come they don't get the Cowboys/Chargers blame game for their inability to go far in the postseason more often than not?

Because of the in-balance of power/funds among baseball franchises, it's much harder for a mid-market team to be consistent year in year out, regardless of what they do in the post season. Just competing consistently in baseball is impressive enough.

15. Fill in the blank- at the end of this year, my NFL team will be (blank).

Improved from the year before and heading in the right direction.

16. Finally, I want to end on a serious note. A week and a half ago, I underwent surgery to remove a cyst from my back in which 11 stitches were put in. As a result, I have not been able to sit down or lie on my back for a while. Tomorrow, the stitches finally come out!

Well then, by all means, take a load off and pop a squat!

1 - Good solid game. As a person who grew up on the edge of the VPI area, it is amazing what that school has done in my liftime. Once a military/engineering school (and once all male) it was JUST the school in SW Virginia, the least populated part of Virginia and the part that is the most unlike either the Tidewater/Richmond or the DC areas, it was considering going I-AA. Today Tech is the state's school, having long passed UVa. Not just in sports, but its a great instituion as well. I felt sorry for them. Boise will now run the table against near I-AA competition.

2 - LSU is that bad.

3 - Finebaum (Alabama homer) is back on SSR/XM and he is living off rube OSU fans calling in and p***ing off the locals with delusional Big 10/OSU statements. Great radio. With USC caught, hopefully the NCAA man turns his attention to Outlaw State.

4 - Miami's time has passed.

5 - OU is the most inconsistant program in the world. Once eliminated from the "national championship" they cease to try.

6 - :) :) :) This is not hard. The only Leastleftover that beat a I-A team was lowly Syracuse, over MAC bottomfeeder Akron. But under the broken BcS system, we could end up with WVU (which is certain to run the table in this cupcake league) with only LSU (which looked bad vs UNC) as the only team to stop this travesty from happening.

8 - Michigan is really bad. Really. Typical deal of hiring a coach who won at the afformentioned WVU, where he had 10 times the resourses of the other league members (and cheated) and puting him over his head at a far higher level.

9 - Very. Mr. Farve, please go away. Every HS has the kid that wants to be begged to go out for a sport. GB did the right thing.

11- This, and the fact that I am very good at it, is why I g****e on sports, rather than play this fantasy stuff.

13 - I would say 25% shot. Most shot of anybody. But the Yankees are getting O L D .

14 - Twins are a mid-sized market (people make me mad when they say its is a small market, it is not) team in baseball's broken system. No comparison to football.

15 - Home watching the Super Bowl on TV.

16 - Feel better dude. And tell us of these things ahead of time, so we can worry.

Really? And this is according to what? Gut feeling? Your spider sense is tingling?
I am assuming this is your opinion correct? I mean IF you feel there is some factual basis behind this statement....please, elaborate.

I am dying to hear it...;)

Really? And this is according to what? Gut feeling? Your spider sense is tingling?
I am assuming this is your opinion correct? I mean IF you feel there is some factual basis behind this statement....please, elaborate.

LMAO!!!

My Spidey Sense tells me The U is going DOWN on Saturday too!!!

I think after watching Miami the last few years that it's quite the opposite, I think thier time has passed and CAME Back.

I think Miami will continue to improve and be a huge force starting NEXT year.

I think after watching Miami the last few years that it's quite the opposite, I think thier time has passed and CAME Back.

I think Miami will continue to improve and be a huge force starting NEXT year.

I find it funny that most people still make their opinions about athletes/teams on whether they are good or bad....simply because they do not like them.:rolleyes:

ALL college football teams go through a phase where they are incredibly good and sometimes go through a phase where they are not. In some cases, they go through a phase where they just stink to high heaven.

But I don't mind the hate....fans of The U have ALWAYS been hated....and they have thrived on that.;):cool:

I find it funny that most people still make their opinions about athletes/teams on whether they are good or bad....simply because they do not like them.:rolleyes:

ALL college football teams go through a phase where they are incredibly good and sometimes go through a phase where they are not. In some cases, they go through a phase where they just stink to high heaven.

But I don't mind the hate....fans of The U have ALWAYS been hated....and they have thrived on that.;):cool:

I don't know...personally I do not hate Miami at all.

I hate Michigan, I'm annoyed with the entire SEC because of some recent embarassments in championship games, Urban Meyer's smugness bugs me in particular, I like to see Notre Dame lose, I rooted against Pete Carroll at USC because I didn't buy his act, and Mike Leach at Texas Tech always rubbed me the wrong way too.

But Miami? Meh. I kinda like the coach they had when they played OSU in the championship game (although I can picture him but I can't seem to remember his name) and the current coach seems like a nice guy too. The program is too far removed from their glory years for me to dislike them in a Nick Saban/Pete Carroll kind of way, and nothing they do now irritates me.

I'm just speaking for myself, but sometimes I wonder if the Miami 'everybody hates us' shtick is more in the minds of older Miami fans than in the current state of the sport.

Sandra

I hate Michigan, I'm annoyed with the entire SEC because of some recent embarassments in championship games, Urban Meyer's smugness bugs me in particular, I like to see Notre Dame lose, I rooted against Pete Carroll at USC because I didn't buy his act, and Mike Leach at Texas Tech always rubbed me the wrong way too.

But Miami? Meh. I kinda like the coach they had when they played OSU in the championship game (although I can picture him but I can't seem to remember his name) and the current coach seems like a nice guy too. The program is too far removed from their glory years for me to dislike them in a Nick Saban/Pete Carroll kind of way, and nothing they do now irritates me.

I'm just speaking for myself, but sometimes I wonder if the Miami 'everybody hates us' shtick is more in the minds of older Miami fans than in the current state of the sport.

Sandra

You're right Sandra. It's kind of hard to "hate" a team who has been irrelevant for so long!!! :p ;) :D :cool: :eek:

Sandra

That would be Coach Larry Coker

He never did much for me one way or the other.