RCA 8? Mobile TV Tablet

Lord only knows who is making and just branding RCA these days. I would not touch it.

I'm interested in this too. I haven't found any recent reviews yet. It would be nice if it had a external antenna plug.

I just thought that I would post an update to this because I did buy an RCA Model DMT580DU for one of my wife's presents on Christmas 2013. I thought about buying from Radio Shack, but I found a better price online.

When she opened this on Christmas Eve, I think she was somewhat surprised, because she already has the original Apple iPad Mini and uses an Elgato EyeTV Mobile ATSC-MH for Mobile DTV. In the Twin Cities MN market, she gets channels from:

KTCA

KSTP

KMSP

KARE

She does like WCCO, but they do not have a Mobile DTV channel and no intent to offer one. Because she doesn't have data on either her smartphone or tablet, she relies on wi-fi. Occasionally she will be somewhere that she can't get wifi. With wi-fi, she can use the DISH Anywhere app through our DISH 722k. Since the RCA DMT580DU also has a regular ATSC tuner, this seemed like a reasonable choice.

I got a chance to play with this after she had and I have noticed a few interesting things. Even though here Elgato gets the stations already mentioned, the RCA only gets KMSP and KARE. Originally I thought that possibly the tuner is simply not as sensitive as the Elgato, but then I realized that KMSP and KARE are the Dyle channels, but KTCA and KSTP are the MyDTV channels. I am not sure yet if it doesn't get them because of the signal strength or if it is a Dyle vs. MyDTV issue.

The regular ATSC tuner is alright, but I do sort of wish that it had an option for an external antenna. Sure, that would limit the benefit of portability of a tablet, but it would be nice to have the option anyway.

I have noticed that the volume does not get loud enough. If we keep this, I suspect that we will use this with headphone or an external speaker of some sort.

Also, when I downloaded the DISH Anywhere app, it seems to connect to my Slingbox adapter, but does not display any video. It works on our other Android devices, so I am not sure why that is an issue with this.

It does have an external antenna plug right next to the camera lens...you just have to uncover it. I'm just not quite sure what antenna adapter it will need to make it work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)