gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
sony-bdp-s5100-blu-ray-player-image1-lg.jpg

sony-bdp-s5100-blu-ray-player-image2-lg.jpg

MSRP: $140 USD

Sony didn't go back and reinvent the Blu-ray player with the BDP-S5100. They stuck with their successful formula and have what is a minor upgrade to the BDP-S590 from last year. The new design certainly looks nice, though I do have a couple of reservations about it myself with the top surface and the disc tray. When it came down to performance, the BDP-S5100 does quite a good job overall. Load times were quick, standard Blu-ray 24p playback was perfect, and the color space issues I ran into last year have been banished. Also impressive is the WiFi design, as other players have issues in my upstairs media cabinet, but the BDP-S5100 does just fine.

The real downside on the BDP-S5100 in my use is the lack of cohesion. The interfaces of the apps are a hodge-podge where logins and controls work differently, and some use the Apps standard look and some have a custom Sony look. It makes for a confusing user experience as you navigate between different apps, and there still is no way to simplify the Home screen to have your favorite's right there. It is very nice that Sony has a wide selection of apps, but please let me somehow hide the ones I don't want.

Link

I'll have one tomorrw. My Panasonics have never liked my ATT wifi for whatever reason, so Ive kept a Roku. While I love the Roku it has its own share of issues, so Im curious to see how the 5100 will perform on Netflix and Amazon for me. Not to worried about 1080p/24 playback.

Sony will probably have better wifi, mostly because of the plastic enclosure. Sony's Netflix is excellent. Amazon's interface sucks on every player I ever used, but PQ is ok if you have a ton of bandwidth. Never tried the Roku version though.

My Roku 3 has issues at times with Amazon and Netflix, needed a restart or just not hitting a certain tier. I've been told it's always my fault by the Roku fanboys, but Ive tested wired, wireless, etc... I just think it's not quite as reliable as theyd want you to think.

The Amazon app on the Roku has great PQ, but, with the Roku outputting ONLY RGB 444, it introduces slight issues with my VT50. I'll be trying the 5100 on wired ethernet, so it'll be a fair comparison between the two.

Amazon works best for me on my Roku-2. I use a wired connection for that one. The Roku gives a reasonable UI, although not up to the level of Netflix. Picture quality is better than Netflix and audio is much better with real 5.1 at decent bandwidth.

When I had the 790, it handled 5.1 on both services well, and Netflix looked great, but Amazon VOD was not as good as the Roku 2. IMO, streaming has not been as reliable as the Roku 2 on the Roku 3, but PQ is excellent. I know the 2013 Sony's have updated apps (790 is a 2012 model) so Im curious as to how they perform. My Panasonics have never liked my ATT connection, wired and wireless, so I cant use my BDT500.

My Panasonics work OK. I have a BD-60 and a 220 with wired ethernet and a 210 with a wireless connection. Seldom get a dropped connection. But I will admit that the ROKU is sharper and has better audio than the 220 on the same system.

Im not sure what they dont like on my ATT connection. I have had 2 different routers, a BD85, BDT220 and this BDT500, and none of them give me HD on Amazon VOD, even wired. Roku 2 and 3, 790, PS3 and Oppo have all been OK.

Movie--BDP93--BDT500--BDP103--S5100

(in seconds)

Transformers--64--66--56--59
Iron Man--53--55--45--47
Star Trek--N/A--81--58--62

From tray pulling in until you can select "play" in the menu.

Last edited:
Got it all setup. Its a nice looking unit, but pretty small and flimsy feeling. I'd not expect any more from something I spent $110 on, performance is really what matters. I personally do not like the XMB, and am not bashful about noting so :), but its not bad. As noted in at least one review, the HDMI connection is SUPER tight.

I went with a wired connection since I have the ability, and it updated a 25+mb file then a 75+mb file, and then finished off with web app updates. All painless. Ill set the Netflix and Amazon stuff up later.

As far as settings, this is what I went with:

3D Output Auto
Set TV Screen Size at 65"
TV Type 16x9
Screen Format Normal
DVD Ratio Letterbox
Cinema Mode Auto
Output Resolution Forced 1080p
BD-Rom 24 On
DVD-Rom 24p Off
YCBCR 444 Colorspace
Deep Color Off

Digital Audio Auto
BD Audio Mix Off
Audio DRC Off

In the during play options menu my settings are:

AV Sync 0
Video Mode Standard
BNR and MNR Off

Ran thru all the patterns on Spears and Munsil, and it passed everything with flying colors, going to watch Oz 3D tonight.

Im not sure what they dont like on my ATT connection. I have had 2 different routers, a BD85, BDT220 and this BDT500, and none of them give me HD on Amazon VOD, even wired. Roku 2 and 3, 790, PS3 and Oppo have all been OK.
It's not your service or your routers, it's panasonic. I have 30Mpbs internet on cable and can't get Amazon HD on any of my panasonics either. Works fine on my sonys.

I've had no problems with my Roku XS. And I use Amazon. The ONLY thing I'd change is to add a direct Youtube app.

As to Sony- been burned too many times. I think my PS3 might be my last Sony product.

Im not a fan of their other stuff, but the blu-ray players have been good to me, I just like Panasonics menu better, and of course Oppo's menu is above the rest. Did really well tonight, 3D looked great.

Netflix and Amazon setup were easy, and I like both the apps a lot. Amazon app reports 5.7mbps from my connection, which is pretty spot on. Only thing I question at this point is I got DD+ from Netflix, but when watching an episode of Arrow on Amazon I did not get 5.1. PQ is very good.

You got me. I still can't figure out why it wont come thru as 5.1, unless their is a minimum speed on that.

Im getting 5.5 to 5.7mbps. Its weird it all goes off without a hitch on the Roku.

I noticed no 5.1 on some eps of Sherlock through Amazon on my Sony Bd-580 but going back I think Amazon only offered 2.0 for some reason on those eps... Picture was HD and streaming in at 5-6 mbps using direct connect via a home-plug.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No 5.1 on Amazon is not a big deal, at least not for me vs the Roku and it outputting RGB. Netflix gives me DD+ and I use it more anyways. I think Ill try not using the Roku 3 for a couple of weeks and see how I like the 5100.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say the Amazon HD on the 5100 looks better than my Roku 3. Could be simply because of RGB output, but, it does look better IMO. Watching the weekly Arrow episodes for my wife to catch up, the overall image looks cleaner to me. I did leave the IP Noise Reduction on the standard #2 setting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)