Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray Player Review

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
One other thing to note, this thing has some built in memory for sure. It actually buffers ahead a couple of minutes of the Amazon feed. I can see activity on my 4 port hub and it has periods where it stops downloading, and if you pull up the status bar you can see where content is buffered ahead of the marker. Nice.

Nice! The only time I ever had amazon buffer during a view was when I left my Kindle on and it was eating up bandwidth.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yeah, my dsl can crap down to 3mbps randomly and come back up. With that much of a buffer in the player, I should not have any issues. I wish more devices did that, because not all of us have very high speed connections. We are on the second episode today, and the PQ is definitely very very good. Nice player for $110, and the Roku 3 may be getting moved out.

According to a couple of guys at AVS, they have confirmed the 790 and 5100 are not getting 5.1 on Amazon, and this is new. Sounds like a bug somewhere in the matrix.

Don't think it was a firmware issue. I wasn't getting 5.1 this morning before or after updating the firmware. I haven't updated in a long time, so I don't believe that was the issue.

S~

Dropped them an e-mail. Made sure I put I was a moderator for several sites. See if that gets them going.

S~

Watching a DVD I picked up of a pretty new flick, wanted to try out the 5100 DVD capability. Its obvious its a DVD, which is expected, but the PQ is quite nice and the DVD 24p output is working great.

I have a Sony BDP-S3100 and this year I signed up with NHL Game Center Live so I could watch alot of NHL games in HD. Since I have Comcast, they only have 2 channels set aside for games in HD. On my Mac, I can watch the live games just fine. but if I want to watch using the NHL Gamecenter Live app on my Sony 3100, it will freeze up after 16 seconds of play. You can sit and wait and it might start up again, but will freeze shortly after. A window pops up saying something about the internet connection being weak, but it shows on the screen as being strong enough. I've talked to Comcast, Gamecenter, and Sony and nobody can figure it out. I can watch archived games on Gamecenter, but not live ones. I have a Roku 3 on the way and figure that will work. I have watched a few games on the Mac and the picture is gorgeous, but I would rather watch them in HD on a big screen tv. The guy I talked to from Sony talked me though some reconfigurations in the settings, but it did no good.

Are you using wired or wireless? If wireless try a range extender/bridge or maybe try going wired with a powerline adapter. I went powerline adapter and haven't had any problems since.

S~

This issue is alive and well, unfortunately. I can watch NHL GCL on ALL my other devices, inc my phone via 4G, without interruption and with a better interface. Have a look at the Sony community "help" site for myriad complaints and ridiculous answers from Sony. With the season way past the halfway mark, this is a miserable failure for the NHL, Sony and more importantly for all of us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts