RCA DRD420RE wont go past " Searching for Satellite Signal "......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andrshaw

Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
canada
Im curious why when i point a single lnb round dish at 101... with a RCA DRD420RE and an RCA Directv Tivo box it wont go past Searching for Satellite Signal?? I have a signal of 89 or above on almost all transponders. But it never goes past " Searching For Satellite Signal ".... It did twice on the Tivo unit but that was after leaving it pluged in for three weeks..... Any ideas on this or am i wasting my time? Thanks Everyone!!!

Are you 100% certain you are looking at the 101? You might not be pointed at the 101, it may be pointed at a different sat & giving false readings on the transponders...just a thought...

receiver says it has signal... when it loaded on the tivo box.. it was all the 101 channels.. the preview channel was where it was supposed to be... im completely stumped on this one!!! even switched out the dish with a brand new one... same result

That receiver will no longer function, here is an excerpt from an email that DIRECTV sent to subscribers that had those legacy receivers on their accounts last year.

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION
WE WILL NEED TO REPLACE YOUR RECEIVER
Some receivers that are from the year 2003 and older will be phased out in the coming months and will no longer function. Our records indicate that one or more of these receivers are active on your account. If these older receivers are not replaced soon, your receiver will no longer function and will lose access to all programming. In preparation for this broadcast transition, DIRECTV will ship newer-generation receiver(s) directly to you to replace these older receiver(s) FREE of CHARGE* and with NO NEW SERVICE AGREEMENT."

Here is another excerpt from a post over at DBSTalk from Satelliteracer regarding this issue :

"The new receivers deliver a better experience for customers with the newer generation receivers...they are faster, can display more channels, have interactivity, etc, etc. These legacy receivers go back to 1994 in a day when local channels weren't offered on Directv, far far fewer channels even existed, no interactivity, etc. That older guide uses up separate bandwidth and operates on hardware that is quite dated (no receiver since 2003 uses that guide). That guide has gone beyond it's intended life and because there are so few of these receivers left out there the time to reclaim that bandwidth to be used for other things will be utilized. It also allows for better use of resources at the broadcast centers so they only have to monitor one guide that serves 100% of customers rather than two guides that serve 99% and 1% respectively. There are a myriad of other reasons, but those are some of the highlights."

In short, even if you can get a signal with that receiver, DIRECTV will not authorize it anymore, and it is basically useless. I suppose that they would send you a D12, of course that would probably entail a 2 year commitment.

If you called in to D* inquiring about activating that recvr, they would more than likely offer you a new recvr ...

Im in Canada! Thanks so much for the answers everyone! looks like i got some junk to drop off at the electronic disposal site! I have family in the usa who have active directv subscriptions and was kinda hoping to get in on that since i cant not stand shaw or bell! You all have been so helpful and im extremely thankful so i didnt waste anymore time!

Im in Canada! Thanks so much for the answers everyone! looks like i got some junk to drop off at the electronic disposal site! I have family in the usa who have active directv subscriptions and was kinda hoping to get in on that since i cant not stand shaw or bell! You all have been so helpful and im extremely thankful so i didnt waste anymore time!

I hadn't realized you were in Canada till you mentioned it, even though your Location says so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts