Rcvr upgrade/Master and TrueHD ??'s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Right now Im running a Sony 810 which is a great rcvr and had hdmi switching which I needed.

Im looking at upgrading to a rcvr(turkey day) that handles the new audio formats(will prob go onkyo) but am a little curious.

Im generally not an audio guy at all and my setup consists of a polk sub, polk center and polk r and l floors which I enjoy. Am I going to experience a difference in audio SQ by being able to output the better audio formats on this speaker setup? Basically, is it worth the $500 to upgrade just for those two audio formats?

Thanks.

The new SR606 will have the latest audio capabilities for about $500, as well as the Faroudja DCDi "Edge" chip which should do a great/better job on the upconverts. It should be available at CC very soon, if not already...

Onkyo TX-SR606 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Assuming you have DVDs (HD DVD or BD) that provide it, the new DD and DTS technologies will allow you the "lossless" SS capabilities/experience. I haven't played around with them enough yet to declare an audible difference vs. DD5.1, but the "price of entry" is becoming a lot lower with likes of the 606. Of course you will need at least surround speakers for that, and preferrably add the surround rears as well for the whole 7.1 capability. Do you have any of those, or will you be adding them as well? Otherwise I don't think you'll notice much audio difference vs. what you have now...

I'm guessing the 606 is the first of the Onkyo '08/09 models and there will be more in that line-up with the same basic capabilities. In the same timeframe you could get a great deal on the "leftovers" like the 805 that will have the same audio capabilities but be behind a year (?) on the upconversion...

805 is still hanging in there at around $1,100 now, but it will surely drop. Check on-line prices as well, but stick with an authorized dealer wherever you buy...

Yeah, been looking at Amazon. 606 is only $399 at CCity. May just hold out, its almost too hard to pass up though. For some reason I thought they Master and TrueHD rcvr's were much more.

I got my Onkyo 605 in December for $305, including shipping from the Onkyo factory outlet. It is a factory refurb with a 1 year warranty instead of two. I've even seen it dip below $300. There have also been great deals on the 705 and 805, too. Just be sure to keep checking back and create an account on their website to get the best deal. It seems like every two weeks they run a 10% discount deal on refurbs. Also, free UPS ground shipping, too!

Shop Onkyo

Thanks guys, with your input and some help from duckydan I'm going to pull the trigger on a 605 at a great price. No sense in waiting :)

LOL. Sorry, when I posted, for some reason I thought of duckydan instead of dirtydan. All these damn dan's and their strange names :D

Congrats! I have spent a week with new toys and am very impressed with the upgraded capabilities. If you'll be bitstreaming from your BD player in the TrueHD mode, don't forget that you'll need a 1.3 compliant HDMI cable to interconnect the two units, and you will have to activate the TrueHD feature in the movie settings themselves.

(I'm not sure how the DTS HD MA works as far as the movie settings go, but probably the same...)

Enjoy...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)