Rcvr upgrade/Master and TrueHD ??'s

The new SR606 will have the latest audio capabilities for about $500, as well as the Faroudja DCDi "Edge" chip which should do a great/better job on the upconverts. It should be available at CC very soon, if not already...
I never understood why someone would want an audio reciever to do video upconversion and pay extra for it. I thought thats what your HDTV was for.

I was always skeptical of even the passthru, but it appears the onkyo passes thru just fine. I understand what you are saying, but even some very nice hdtv's dont do so well in that dept.

I was always skeptical of even the passthru, but it appears the onkyo passes thru just fine. I understand what you are saying, but even some very nice hdtv's dont do so well in that dept.
For me, it would be a very rare occurance when my HDTV wasnt seeing an HD source anyway. I stopped watching SDTV and analog years ago and have libraries of HD movies on hard drives that player through an avel LP2, HD DVD player and BD player. DVD watching just doesnt occur. For me having an upconversion chip is not worth the expense. Just another thing to break IMO. Guess Im a tightwad.

I don't spend much time with SD sources either, so having the upconversion capability may be moot for me as well. Having just done research on a dozen or so receivers, it seems to me that they all include some upconversion. With the feature becoming common and newer chips doing more for less $$ perhaps it's not such a bad bargain. There could be situations where the receiver might do a better job than the TV. I haven't taken the time to compare. Anyway, for those of us buying receivers the video processing in whatever flavor is part of the deal...

Wow! If I had been offered that price when I first talked turkey at CC a couple of weeks ago I probably would have closed the deal then and there!

Ironically I was just in there the other day looking for the SACD unit they were selling for $129. (Turned out to be an on-line deal and they had nothing in stock.) The guy I was talking to was the one that originally gave me a quote about 2 weeks ago. IIRC he said in my latest visit that CC was phasing-out of Onkyo (?!?) I can't understand why. That seems to be a big line for them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)