Not open for further replies.

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
Scott Greczkowski said:
Up until now we have been letting people link to external urls in their signatures, however as of late we have been seeing many links to commercial sites, which is not fair to the folks who pay to be a sponsor here and help us to keep our lights on for all.

In addition we have had a few links to "hate sites" or adult content.

Therefore effective October 1st no external links in your signatures.

Why kill all links in signatures? Why not just kill the offensive ones or the ones linking to commercial sites?

The rules should apply to everyone.... I would hope he's not "special" and is allowed to break the rules (no comments needed about "he owns the site...").

I for one will be glad when the links in the sigs is eliminated.

Did we finally get rid of those crazy heads in the sigs too? I just realized I haven't seen them in a while.

I think it's a good idea. I may do the same on my mboard too. It can be difficult to police all the links to make sure they comply.

I don't how non-linked URLs are effected, for example satelliteguys.us...

Sorry :D

For those that missed it, adblock works fine for the 'folding' and xbox stat boxes.

Yes, they do... I go to some other forums that allow 500 page signatures with no way to turn them off. AdBlock is great for removing stuff like that.

I hate that, especially when they have 207 images in the sig too, all for a one line post. I got to boards to read posts, not the sigs. Adblock is great for nuking annoying sigs!

Yes, they do... I go to some other forums that allow 500 page signatures with no way to turn them off. AdBlock is great for removing stuff like that.

disagree

The link-killing sounds great.
BTW The XBOX Gamertags and Folding at Home stats boxes will continue to be allowed. :)

Regardless of the AdBlock comments above, I don't really see any value in these sorts of things in sigs.
They are not what this site is about.
I have a SETI team and forum - there, they might be on-topic.
Here, they just aren't.

Oh, and while we are on the subject, how 'bout enforcing line-count or character-counts on the sigs?
Or, maybe small-type - the 1-font is what I use.
Some have just gone wild! - :eek:

That can be done in the board's admin CP. Allow how many lines, images, etc.

Here's an example of a Sig rule from another board I help mod...

Signatures:
Must be setup in your profile, and not manually added to your messages.
May not contain any pricing, plan, sales, etc. details. "Free" is considered a price in the context of this rule.
May not use the word "Free" to describe anything.
May contain a maximum of two smilies. Or one animated smiley.
May include two clickable links.
May include two colors, plus black.
Maximum font size cannot be larger than normal.
Must be kept to a maximum of four lines when viewed at 1024x768 resolution using the horizontal postbit.
May not contain links to other threads or posts.
Please keep special characters to a minimum.
Your signature is your signature. It is not for sale or rent.
Any signature that is offensive or insulting to (place board name here), its members, or its staff, is prohibited.
We reserve the right to ask you to change and/or remove your signature at any time, for any reason.

So did this go into effect since I saw a sig that still have a link to an external site?

OK, thanks. Didn't know if it was an automated process that used the same process D* used to enable HD programming on all their accounts;)

No there unfortunately is no automated process for vbulletin 3.6 (there was one that was GREAT for vbulleting 3.5 but it dont work in 3.6, I have been trying the last two days to get it to work, but with no success.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)