Ready to convert to Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BiloxiGeek

Original poster
Dec 8, 2018
Gulfport, Ms
I'm getting really tired of cable's lineup limits and cost and crappy support from TiVo. I'm seriously considering dish and a hopper 3.

A couple things I haven't figured out yet is some features I still enjoy on TiVo. I run a Linux box and pyTivo so I can stream videos, pictures and music to my TiVo. Is DLNA a suitable replacement for that functionality? I've played with plex a little but don't have much experience with it right now so maybe that's an option.

I don't mind getting into nitty gritty details, I do Linux sysadmin work for a living got so I got decent skills there. Just no experience with satellite or the hopper platform and I don't want to lose what I'm used to. Or (more importantly) have a steep learning curve so the wife can keep ding what she's used to.

I'm getting really tired of cable's lineup limits and cost and crappy support from TiVo. I'm seriously considering dish and a hopper 3.

A couple things I haven't figured out yet is some features I still enjoy on TiVo. I run a Linux box and pyTivo so I can stream videos, pictures and music to my TiVo. Is DLNA a suitable replacement for that functionality? I've played with plex a little but don't have much experience with it right now so maybe that's an option.

I don't mind getting into nitty gritty details, I do Linux sysadmin work for a living got so I got decent skills there. Just no experience with satellite or the hopper platform and I don't want to lose what I'm used to. Or (more importantly) have a steep learning curve so the wife can keep ding what she's used to.

Hello fellow Sysadmin!

:welcome2 to SatelliteGuys!

Not sure if you can make the Hopper do the same thing as pyTivo, but I know many, fairly non-technical people who run Plex successfully, which may meet most of your requirements. If you can work with atrocities like PolicyKit, systemd, and SELinux, Plex should not be a huge challenge.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hello fellow Sysadmin!

:welcome2 to SatelliteGuys!

Not sure if you can make the Hopper do the same thing as pyTivo, but I know many, fairly non-technical people who run Plex successfully, which may meet most of your requirements. If you can work with atrocities like PolicyKit, systemd, and SELinux, Plex should not be a huge challenge.

I manage 250+ RHEL and SciLinux systems, systemd don't scare me! From what I've been able to figure out so far the only thing I'll really miss on the hopper/joey is amazon Prime. But the living room tv is a smart tv and can handle that.

Get one of the new fire tv 4K sticks for $49 or less on sale and add Amazon music app as well as video. Even if you don’t have 4K tv the video is outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I use a Hauppauge PVR1212 to capture video that I want to port to my PC from the Hopper 3.

Must play the video to real time capture it but PVR1212 has a Toslink audio input and component for video in 1080i or 720p whatever you set it to.

Transit stream is editable with Video-Re-Do to convert to MP4 or DVD or save on PC as .TS file.

I'm not too concerned with getting recordings off the hopper. I'm more interested in viewing video that I have saved on a local system. Using pyTivo it's easy to stream to TiVo so I don't want to lose that capability if I switch.

I'm looking into plex a bit more.

Plex is an amazing little program, and while I've never used it on the Hopper, I do see it in the Home Media App. The reason I've not used it on the Hopper is because Plex excels on the LG TV Plex app

Edit, I just played the beginning of a movie that's stored on the EHD attached to my Computer and it seems too work perfectly

Last edited:
How well does the hopper dvr capabilities compare to TiVo? I've got quite a few season passes (Now named onepasses) setup and I'll need to recreate those on the hopper.

One of the issues that's prompting this is crap tech support from TiVo. I've had a reported problem with their iOS app for a few months and they don't seem to give a damn about fixing it. A good mobile app to see what's been recorded and schedule new recordings, etc etc is pretty important too.

How well does the hopper dvr capabilities compare to TiVo? I've got quite a few season passes (Now named onepasses) setup and I'll need to recreate those on the hopper.

One of the issues that's prompting this is crap tech support from TiVo. I've had a reported problem with their iOS app for a few months and they don't seem to give a damn about fixing it. A good mobile app to see what's been recorded and schedule new recordings, etc etc is pretty important too.

I'd say they are comparable, although how you setup the Timers on a Hopper is slightly different than a OnePass, but I think it is a shallow learning curve for someone technical. Dish Anywhere is more reliable than the Tivo iOS app, but you cannot download recordings from a Hopper to the iOS device unless you are on the same network. With the Tivo app (and a Stream), I could be anywhere in the world and download recorded content.

Well I'll be finding out for myself tomorrow afternoon. Dish install scheduled between 12 and 5. Already pulled a list of onepasses off the TiVo's so I can recreate them on the Hopper. I did pull a few shows off the TiVo to be watched via Plex later. The Plex app on TiVo never seemed very good so I'm really hoping the Hopper version is a lot better. Or I'm about to piss off the wife and get myself in the doghouse once again.

Well I'll be finding out for myself tomorrow afternoon. Dish install scheduled between 12 and 5. Already pulled a list of onepasses off the TiVo's so I can recreate them on the Hopper. I did pull a few shows off the TiVo to be watched via Plex later. The Plex app on TiVo never seemed very good so I'm really hoping the Hopper version is a lot better. Or I'm about to piss off the wife and get myself in the doghouse once again.
I watched a movie on Plex via the Hopper last night, thinking about this thread and it played perfectly. The only thing is that on the Plex Manager, the file name may be like the.avengers.2018.mp4 and I'll rename it to The Avengers.mp4, which carries across every device I use Plex on, LG TV, Firestick, iPad Pro, but on the Hopper, it still shows the original file name. However, it plays just fine.

I watched a movie on Plex via the Hopper last night, thinking about this thread and it played perfectly. The only thing is that on the Plex Manager, the file name may be like the.avengers.2018.mp4 and I'll rename it to The Avengers.mp4, which carries across every device I use Plex on, LG TV, Firestick, iPad Pro, but on the Hopper, it still shows the original file name. However, it plays just fine.

That sounds like an ID3 tag issue.

Just to be clear.. the Hopper 3 doesn’t have a Plex app. The Hopper 3 has a DLNA “Home Media” player which plays video via the DLNA server that you can enable in Plex. The video has to be able to direct play on the Hopper as there is no transcoding. If you’re looking for the Plex interface with newly added media, thumbnail previews, and synced watch status, you’re going to be disappointed. It’s a screen of icons that you can click on and it’ll play as long as the Hopper 3 supports the codec the media needs.

Otherwise, you’ll be better served getting a Roku or FireTV and installing the Plex app on there.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ncted and HipKat
Well the installer was late, had three phone calls to explain how they had been overbooked and I was apparently last on the list. Not a good first impression but at least the install happened. One hopper 3 and 3 joey's installed and working. Haven't dug deep into the features yet to make sure it all works and I got all my channels.

Did hit one glitch that got me curious. I set up my Netflix account on the hopper and expected it to be working on the joey's. The install tech said once it's configured on the hopper the joey's would also be configured. But that's not the behavior I saw last night. Set up the hopper, went to the guest room joey and I had to put in username and password there as well. Do I have a config issue or was the install tech giving me bad info?

I used a TIVO Bolt for a while last year and went back to Dish for the Hopper 3. Personally I think the Hopper is superior and has numerous handy features the Tivo lacked like the Game Finder app and the recall feature showing the last 4 channels you've watched. Also I've found Dish Anywhere much more reliable than the Tivo's streaming.

Good luck with your new setup. I hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: JSheridan
Well the installer was late, had three phone calls to explain how they had been overbooked and I was apparently last on the list. Not a good first impression but at least the install happened. One hopper 3 and 3 joey's installed and working. Haven't dug deep into the features yet to make sure it all works and I got all my channels.

Did hit one glitch that got me curious. I set up my Netflix account on the hopper and expected it to be working on the joey's. The install tech said once it's configured on the hopper the joey's would also be configured. But that's not the behavior I saw last night. Set up the hopper, went to the guest room joey and I had to put in username and password there as well. Do I have a config issue or was the install tech giving me bad info?
Joeys are considered separate boxes by Netflix. Yes, you need to login to each one separately. The tech gave you bad info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts