Ready to make the jump to D* HD -or not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hooks61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I am ready to purchase the HD DVR and multi-satellite dish from D* and sign up for the HD package. However I am somewhat confused with all of the discussions of MPEG4 and other equipment upgrades.
Should I hold off for a while? Can someone give me a quick lesson on what I would get if I ordered today versus if I waited a while? Would ordering today screw my options for upgraded equipment in the near future?:confused:
I am in LA area and presently 4 locals are carried in HD.

Order your HD DVR today, it will still probably be a short while before we get our mpeg 4 upgrade in LA (not too long though). It will be even longer until the new mpeg 4 HD DVR comes out though. The current HD DVR is a very nice unit which works great (though not completely issue free) and the ability to record HD stuff is just very nice. You will be swapped out to the mpeg 4 stuff when the time comes and it seems like we are not getting any new channels for a while anyway with mpeg 4.

Right now is the BEST programming offer of the year for D*.
If your into sports and the NFL, you can still order the NFL Sunday Ticket and get the premium package FREE for 4 months and the HD package for 3 months.
If you argue with them a bit you may get the Super Fan for free.
IF you go this way and are a NFL fan, make sure you will get theNFL in HD (requires the SF package as well, Do some bargining with them you may get a better deal yet. :) :D

Jimbo

Question regarding future mpeg 4 upgrade: Are future upgrades going to include HD DVRs as well as basic HD receivers (as best we know)? I am hoping I won't have to buy a new HD DVR in 18 months.

hooks:

Nothing is set in stone.

However, it's reasonable to assume so.
DirecTV has always been fair and equitable when it comes to upgrading equipment.

Since you're in the LA area, though, MPEG2 LA locals (Which the HR10-250 can record) will be available for at least 24 months, if not longer.

Go for it!!

H

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts