reall classy directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I got to admit , D* did this to me once too, But so did E*, Verizon,Sears Warranty service tech.
Anytime you have to depend on anyone, be prepared there is a chance you will be let down.

Thats Life!

Now Verizon was the worst and always is the worst,
Their customer service is by far the worst company ever to deal with .
Long wait times, 10 minutes or more just pressing touch tone menu selections ,2 or more Tranfers with wait times everytime. and the 4-7 days before a tech even arrives at the door, to tell me he can't find the problem.
All you Fios fans, will never convince me Verizon as a business is Number 1 in customer satisfaction.
Never in a Million Years!

Now Dish Network, my Initial install date was the 4th of July in 2007.
Tech Showed up at 8:30 am. Perfect!
Now ,when I upgraded 612 to a 722 my appointment was between 12-4 as well, I get a call at 5:30 PM 30 Minutes after I already called E* and Bitched.
He tell me he's running late, I said "Yea No sh*t", By 7:15 he arrived. So I left the job site at noon to meet up with this guy and he showed up at after 7 . Who's fault??? Not mine!

Now last but not least Directv
Only ever had 3 service calls in about the over 10 years of D* history and in that time all the AM service calls, seem to be the best choice.

The one PM service call I've ever had with them resulted in a Phone call at 4:00 to tell me he running late.

Well , sorry but I know if I'm not going to finish something atleast 1 hour before hand.
If you know you still have to drive to another location on top of being at a certain place at a certain time, whose fault is it besides your own?
Is it the Customer?
Is it the Tech?
Is it Directv?

A legitimate tech would be professional and call before his window of time is up. Yes people get upset, they are paying hundreds and thousands a year for service, and they have to change around their plans to suit D* time frame.

But atleast a call would prevent the customer from calling D*,E* or Verizon and ear F^&*ing your Boss!

My personal feelings is 2 hours into any window tech should know if he going to be late, so he/she should be making courtesy calls.

joed32,
Actually you do see ads for techs who can stay on schedule. The myth is that there are techs who can install four systems in a morning and move on to several more in the afternoon The routing is (has been) stupid. When confronted with the observation that just driving to the addresses will take four hours the HSP managers say we all have to try harder.

So to get through the day one is expected to short cut everything. You gotta read my book, "Life with the Bozo Manager"

Joe

My personal feelings is 2 hours into any window tech should know if he going to be late, so he/she should be making courtesy calls.

Stoneman,

Most techs can look at a pile of Work Orders (WO) and know they are going to be late all day. One of the issues id that after receiving an impossible pile of WOs they have to be the ones to reach all the soon-to-be-pissed-off-cx (STBPO) while driving and working through the jobs of the day. Should they fail to contact a cx or arrive in the time slot the management solution is to back charge the tech for "no call / no show" .

It is a swamp out there!

Joe

Speaking of that, its a pet peeve of mine when my sales people setup new accounts is to always get 2 contact numbers on the account.
It just amazes me the number of people who purposely do not want to give a seconday contact number because they want to speed up the sales process. I require my agents to provide a rebuttle if the customer does not provide a secondary contract number, and usually the threat that the installer might not get ahold of them and reschedule the install is enough to get a secondary contact number from some people.
We all have cell phones, there is no reason why a customer should provide a bad number.

and what if a cell phone is your only contact number? If someone is self employed or unemployed their cell phone may be the only contact number they have

also when I was upgraded to HD a few weeks ago I got THREE courtesy calls
-tech called to tell me he'd be there in a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes
-about 20 minutes later I got a automated call from D* with "your technician will be onsite in the next 30 minutes"
-the install office called me to say he'd be there soon (this was about an hour after the tech called....roads were yucky) just as the tech was pulling in

A couple of years ago I called a CBR number ( I usually wouldn't call if it was a number I didn't recognize, but I did this time).
Now, I'm in the Toledo, Ohio area .... I called the sub's number and it was at 8:30 am, found out the number that I called was in LA and it was 5:30 am where I called the persons Mother.
Now it's a lot harder this day and age with the ability to port numbers all over and Cell numbers you can't always tell where it's going anymore.

Jimbo,
Even with the best intentions the idiots reign! Consider:"My neighbor will be there to let you in." Instead of being the good guy and attempting to git 'er done I should have dumped the job. The neighbor drove in from about a hundred miles away to let me in the new move-in address. All that was lacking were any TVs or a homeowner to note the non responding new wall boxes. Somehow nobody wanted to pay me because the prewire didn't work.

Just a little piece of a little day,

Joe

I'm not going to pay a guy $15 per hour if someone can do the exact same thing faster and same quaility.

We don't get paid by the hour, we get paid by the job.

Anyways,we are supposed to call within 30 of the appointment window.
Does that always happen? Unfortunately, no.

However, there is no excuse for not calling at all and showing up late.

I try contacting all my customers in the morning, even my PM jobs.
If I have 3 morning jobs, I will let the one I am routing 3rd that I will most likely be late.
I will then call an PM jobs I did not reach again after 12 pm.
At that point, I will let any of the ones I may potentially be late for know.
Also, if I will be late and I could not get a hold of you to let you know on the previous call, I will try and call again.

Basically, every customer if I don't get a hold of them, I will continue to attempt to reach them.

Not only is it called courtesy, it is called my job.
By I pride myself in usually running the best numbers in my company and having high customer satisfaction scores.

Thats BS!
Thats no excuse for a no show no call!

A Good installer, can work fast,clean,and correct, while providing good communication skills.

I don't want an installer, walking around at a snails pace wasting anymore of my day then they already have.

Just like any business.

I'm not going to pay a guy $15 per hour if someone can do the exact same thing faster and same quaility.

No job is so important that it can't be done safely ..... If you want it done right, thats fine, you want it done YESTERDAY and I'm suppose to RUSH to get you done, not gonna happen, I do quality work, NOT QUANTITY.
And your not paying me $ 15 p/m either.

BTW, the D* installers don't get paid by the hour, it's by the job. Hence the RUSH for them to get things done.

We don't get paid by the hour, we get paid by the job.

Anyways,we are supposed to call within 30 of the appointment window.
Does that always happen? Unfortunately, no.

However, there is no excuse for not calling at all and showing up late.

I try contacting all my customers in the morning, even my PM jobs.
If I have 3 morning jobs, I will let the one I am routing 3rd that I will most likely be late.
I will then call an PM jobs I did not reach again after 12 pm.
At that point, I will let any of the ones I may potentially be late for know.
Also, if I will be late and I could not get a hold of you to let you know on the previous call, I will try and call again.

Basically, every customer if I don't get a hold of them, I will continue to attempt to reach them.

Not only is it called courtesy, it is called my job.
By I pride myself in usually running the best numbers in my company and having high customer satisfaction scores.

All this time you spend on the phone contacting subs, you could get more work done/ more money in your pocket if you had someone call for you !
I'm sure you guys are alot like me, other than the call to the sub, you also spend time on the phone job related as well.

No job is so important that it can't be done safely ..... If you want it done right, thats fine, you want it done YESTERDAY and I'm suppose to RUSH to get you done, not gonna happen, I do quality work, NOT QUANTITY.
And your not paying me $ 15 p/m either.

BTW, the D* installers don't get paid by the hour, it's by the job. Hence the RUSH for them to get things done.
$15 PER HOUR OR PER HOUR WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE.:rolleyes:

My point a Faster guy who does the same quaility Job faster will replace you!

Seems like only 2 of you didn't get what I meant.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Since we are on the $15 per hour Kick, Your going to tell me the Average D* Tech brings home more the $150 in a 10 hour day?

$15 per is I would say a Fair estimate if you weekly pay was broken down into a 50 hour work week.

Last edited:
joed32,
Actually you do see ads for techs who can stay on schedule. The myth is that there are techs who can install four systems in a morning and move on to several more in the afternoon The routing is (has been) stupid. When confronted with the observation that just driving to the addresses will take four hours the HSP managers say we all have to try harder.

So to get through the day one is expected to short cut everything. You gotta read my book, "Life with the Bozo Manager"

Joe

I have never had a Tech come late without calling me, they're pretty good about it. I did have one that stayed about 4 hours and I'm sure he couldn't stay on schedule after that, but he was very thorough and got a nice tip.

I have never had a Tech come late without calling me, they're pretty good about it. I did have one that stayed about 4 hours and I'm sure he couldn't stay on schedule after that, but he was very thorough and got a nice tip.

I am sure you and many others...probably most customers....have good experiences. It is that last little pile of unfair & incompetent operators that never seems to go away.
I am not alone in pointing out the problems. We just don't know how extensive they are.

Glad it works for you.

Joe

Guys we got off topic....again

Its been two days and the original poster hasnt responded yet...especially when I asked point blank did the tech show up.

My point a Faster guy who does the same quaility Job faster will replace you!

Still wrong as neither company could give a rats ass how fast you complete your jobs as long as they are right and as long as you do complete them.
If you want to be slow and work til 10 pm every night, they don't give a sh*t.

Since we are on the $15 per hour Kick, Your going to tell me the Average D* Tech brings home more the $150 in a 10 hour day?

$15 per is I would say a Fair estimate if you weekly pay was broken down into a 50 hour work week.

Well, yeah

Made $230 before expenses today + $10 tip.
Probably had around $30 in gas and materials.
If you don't count the time I shot the sh*t at the shop because it was a slow day, I had 6-7 hours in the day including windshield time.

By my calculations, that is around $30+ an hour.

Is every day like that?
No, some are better, some are worse.
But on average, I definitely make more then $15 an hour.
I wouldn't deal with the BS if I didn't.
However, I am pretty good at what I do.
There certainly are techs that make less then $15 per hr, but most subs make more.

Well, yeah

Made $230 before expenses today + $10 tip.
Probably had around $30 in gas and materials.
If you don't count the time I shot the sh*t at the shop because it was a slow day, I had 6-7 hours in the day including windshield time.

By my calculations, that is around $30+ an hour.

Is every day like that?
No, some are better, some are worse.
But on average, I definitely make more then $15 an hour.
I wouldn't deal with the BS if I didn't.
However, I am pretty good at what I do.
There certainly are techs that make less then $15 per hr, but most subs make more.
Thats good for you, But I can tell you for a FACT most D* Techs don't make $1000 a week.

They don't even advertise that in our local paper.
They claim $600 to $950 per week!

Remember, Satellite isn't just installed in Big citys with 2 minute drives.
My best Fried is a D* tech and he doesn't make $52,000 a year, more like mid to High $30,000's ,I know Cause my Wife does his Taxes
He's been a D* tech going on 6 years now.

Don't Get me wrong , I'm not saying some D* and E* installers don't make $50,000 + a year, But I would not say Most, Not even close!

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=DirecTV_Group/Hourly_Rate

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/DIRECTV-Install-Technician-Salaries-E3624_D_KO8,26.htm

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.