Really close to do it...considering move from DTV to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you find yourself moving more to being a red zone fan, just like folks on the Directv side work at negotiating Sunday ticket, many of us on the Dish work at negating sports pack in the fall for red zone, I know they are two different things, but it usually works out well for the fall

In regard to RSN pixie issues, can't say it's an issue. And is in the past you may have had to worry about your game in SD over HD, that should not be an issue and keep in mind here In Michigan we have hockey, basketball and baseball all going on in April

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yeah if I order through Dish website I get $75 cash back from ebates on top of all the deals and referral deal. That makes the deal even sweeter, just don't wanna go through the situation that I had to go through with DTV earlier this year and them telling me they can't go up the roof...that's why I was considering a local retailer over Dish and really don't want to be without TV for the next few days/weeks especially when football season is about to start.

I'm really hoping my eBates goes through also. I got it on a triple day, so it said I would get $225. I don't see it being tracked through so guess time will tell.

Reactions: n0qcu
Yeah if I order through Dish website I get $75 cash back from ebates on top of all the deals and referral deal. That makes the deal even sweeter, just don't wanna go through the situation that I had to go through with DTV earlier this year and them telling me they can't go up the roof...that's why I was considering a local retailer over Dish and really don't want to be without TV for the next few days/weeks especially when football season is about to start.

If you go with the local retailer they will also service your system in the years to come. You can call them instead of India if you have a problem. If you order on the web site you're going to take your chances, especially since most of the company techs and sub contractors won't get off the ladder.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So for folks that have the wireless joey how good is it? Is the picture quality as good as the main receiver and how snappy is it when you have to pause/rewind forward recorded shows?
I don't have one now, but when I did a month ago mine worked just great. A tad slower than the H3, but not enough to care. PQ was fine too.

Reactions: satjay and Tampa8
So for folks that have the wireless joey how good is it? Is the picture quality as good as the main receiver and how snappy is it when you have to pause/rewind forward recorded shows?
My only complaint about them is their tendency to lose contact with the WJAP after nightly updates. Usually happens two to three times a week. I have to reboot WJAP and WJ to fix. They are both in the same room, just on opposite walls, so distance is not a factor, IMO. The only thing I can think of is my WJAP is funky. Dish will not replace them.

I'm really hoping my eBates goes through also. I got it on a triple day, so it said I would get $225. I don't see it being tracked through so guess time will tell.

I contacted eBates this morning because it was not showing anymore. They said Dish took it away due to me canceling or changing the service. Guess that is what happens when you call to negotiate a different deal after signing up online. Oh well. Keep that in mind. That's okay I got the equipment refunded ($190), $50 statement credit, and another $120 in credits. So I did much better then the $225.

Reactions: Elsguy
Also another concern I have is that sports channels have pixelation issues on Dish, is that true? Been reading some reviews and many complained about this in 2025/2016 so I am not sure how much things changed this year. I do watch fox sports and soccer and last thing I want is tons of pixelation, I thought this issue was early 2000s not these days. I remember Uverse had tons of pixelation when it first came out and sports channels were unwatchable, I don't want that experience, anyone with 4K TV sets have any issues with fast paced action shows like sports?
Lastly does Dish broadcast their channels 720p or 1080i?

I haven't seen any evidence of pixelation on any channel. Soccer on BeIn and FoxSports has been fine. I have a Samsung KS8000 4k TV and it looks great. I have had it professionally calibrated though... which I personally think accounts for motion issues, etc.. most of the time.

Believe me, I was a bit worried about the switch from AT&T. Everything worked well, except for the limitations of tuners, etc.. but the switch to Dish has been fine. Hopefully we'll see more 4k programming in the near future. I think we'll see a 4k HBO, or a 4k FoxSports etc.. this year, or first part of next year. Just a guess. :)

Other than them switching the hopper 3 to a regular hopper/sling when I ordered online. I could have avoided all that by going to my local retailer/installer. Which, ironically, they were the ones who came and did the install. :)

Reactions: littlecloud319
HD Lite is 1440x1080
Yes, HD lite is 1440x1080, but I have yet to see any real testing data to prove that Dish is still broadcasting at that resolution. At one time in the past, both DirectTV and Dish used 1440x1080 for their HD broadcasts. The "HD lite" for Dish was reported many years ago and has been repeated over and over since then, but I don't think that there is any recent data to back up that claim.

Dish is broadcasting in 1080i. How does anyone know if Dish is really using HD lite, or are they just processing the video differently than DirectTV. For example, maybe DirectTV is using more sharpness when processing their video than Dish.

I am scheduled to get Dish at the new house on Friday. D* is fine, but it ain't all that
Yes, HD lite is 1440x1080, but I have yet to see any real testing data to prove that Dish is still broadcasting at that resolution. At one time in the past, both DirectTV and Dish used 1440x1080 for their HD broadcasts. The "HD lite" for Dish was reported many years ago and has been repeated over and over since then, but I don't think that there is any recent data to back up that claim.

Dish is broadcasting in 1080i. How does anyone know if Dish is really using HD lite, or are they just processing the video differently than DirectTV. For example, maybe DirectTV is using more sharpness when processing their video than Dish.

I think it is pretty well established that almost everyone is doing some kind of HD Lite. Some do it via horizontal resolution reductions, like Dish, Uverse, and DirecTV. Others do it by bit-starving the stream or turning up the compression to the point it really impacts the PQ. Some do multiple methods. It used to be that FiOS and Google Fiber TV didn't do these things, but I don't even know if that is true any more.

I wonder if IcEWoLF is referring to compression artifacts in reference to "pixelation." Depending on the who reported it, they might not know the difference.

I believe that 1440 figure came about because early "HD" cameras were limited to that resolution.

I'd double check the "RedZone Free for 2 years" part of your deal. The current promotion includes "Multi-Sport Pack w/RedZone" free thru 1/2/18. I'm not aware of any way that a Retailer can extend that portion of the promo through next season.

Reactions: JSheridan
I'd double check the "RedZone Free for 2 years" part of your deal. The current promotion includes "Multi-Sport Pack w/RedZone" free thru 1/2/18. I'm not aware of any way that a Retailer can extend that portion of the promo through next season.

Ah I'm a blind man, I thought it was for the next two seasons, wrong I am lol.

But yeah I'd like to make sure I don't get any pixelation when watching soccer and even ESPN when they broadcast nba and Monday night football. I just want to make sure I am not stuck with really crappy picture quality if you know what I mean.
Bein sports and fox sports 1 and 2 are a must for me.

So I called today told them to cancel my services as of tomorrow, they offered me $25 off for 24 months and $10 off for my DVR service, declined it, because it would still be few bucks more than Dish. Sure there is free Sunday Ticket. but thats really not enough for me to stay.
I understand sometimes they do have a winback team that will call to try to keep you as a customer and offer you better deals, if I don't receive anything within the next 2-3 days then I will have my local retailer install Dish and be done with it.

Just the 16 tuner is too nice...DirecTV has not made any strides to improve their technology, now they are moving towards headless receiver with the HS17 and mini genies which are total junk, the ultimate diss is that they did not add additional tuners to it...so you are still stuck with 5 tuners. With AT&T I doubt DirecTV will improve their equipment much going forward.
I watch sports a lot, sure DirecTV is the king of sports, but Dish does carry NBA League Pass and they offer redzone and bein sports, those 3 things alone works for me.

Reactions: HipKat and satjay
They offered me $35 off to keep me when I cancelled. It was actually the easiest cancel of service I've ever done. Normally it's 30+ minutes of, no no no.. and of course the "random" disconnects due to technical reasons. lol..

So far the PQ is fine. I've already gotten used to it in the week I've had Dish service.

One thing about the HS17. It actually has 7 tuners to be used.

Reactions: pattykay
Ah I'm a blind man, I thought it was for the next two seasons, wrong I am lol.

But yeah I'd like to make sure I don't get any pixelation when watching soccer and even ESPN when they broadcast nba and Monday night football. I just want to make sure I am not stuck with really crappy picture quality if you know what I mean.
Bein sports and fox sports 1 and 2 are a must for me.

Except in the case of extreme weather or defective equipment, If your installer does a quality installation (particularly in peaking the satellite signal), you will not experience pixelation.

Except in the case of extreme weather or defective equipment, If your installer does a quality installation (particularly in peaking the satellite signal), you will not experience pixelation.

The nice thing about where the Dish would be is that there are no trees around it and its on the peak of the roof fascia, so usually the installs there are perfect.

I am just frustrated with the genie hardware, they suck and they are slow and a lot of times the wireless genie takes nearly 20+ seconds to show channels after turning on the TV.

DirecTV has not made any strides to improve their technology, now they are moving towards headless receiver with the HS17 and mini genies which are total junk

I've been reading up on the HS17, and I agree, it's disappointing when compared to what the Hopper 3 can do. Wonder how much of that has to do with ATT's ownership? Dish still controls it's own hardware and software from R & D to deployment, which is why I hope they don't get bought out by a mega telco that doesn't really care about satellite technology.

I've been reading up on the HS17, and I agree, it's disappointing when compared to what the Hopper 3 can do. Wonder how much of that has to do with ATT's ownership? Dish still controls it's own hardware and software from R & D to deployment, which is why I hope they don't get bought out by a mega telco that doesn't really care about satellite technology.
Yeah and recently solid signal released a blog on how to speed up performance on the wireless genies and none of them really worked for me other than upgrading from HR44 to the HS17 which I am reluctant to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)