Rebooting issue solved

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I found yesterday my 922 started to reboot itself. It would suddenly power itself off, then go through the warm-up phase for a minute. I noticed from day one this unit seemed really warm in the right side edge about in the middle. I didn't know if it was typical or not.

Once it got to the point it would do it every 10 minutes I knew something was up. I found it was caused by the VC2+ module. I removed it and it's been OK since yesterday afternoon. I thought I would pass this along. It was a used one I bought off Ebay with a dead receiver. Funny thing it works fine in a Uniden Ultra I used for a month.

as you noticed most big boxes will run a bit hot. if you can place them in a entertainment type of center that has a closable front ( to knock down noise) you can place a small fan ( 5 inch 7inch type) in the enclosure to provide ventalation. you can also rig up a computer fan and attach it to the unit ( back or top). my stand alone dvd recorder musta had the same problems cause it shipped from the factory with this type of addition.

if these are not an option for you always remember to try to space your electronics out placing something between units (i use pvc connectors or small blocks of wood) so these hot units can disapate heat.

sounds like your problem might have been two sided with the modual problem but the rebooting sounds like a heat problem.

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Hmmmm.. You've got me thinking now. I have a GI2400R receiver with VC2+ module (subscribed to The Weather Channel). If these decoder modules draw that much power, I am wondering if I should put the whole GI2400 receiver on a power bar that I can turn off/on when needed. I use my GI receiver to move the dish and adjust polarity on C-Band, but I end up using the Fortec digital receiver more often to watch TV. That GI receiver is most likely sucking up a bunch of power when it really isn't being used.

Both my 922 and 905 have a label on the back that states 50 watts. I'm not sure when that's measured. In operation moving the dish would probably be the most. I wonder in standby mode what it is? To a certain degree it is really always on,even the LNBFs powered.

The problem I see with disconnecting it when not needed, is battery life. I was under the impression these boxes needed constant power otherwise the battery life is very limited. At a high cost of replacement or risk of losing the unit ID.Leaving it plugged in might be a small price to pay.

BTW it still is cool and no problem since the VCRS taken out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)