Recap and Review of VBox II Positioner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
I bought a new Pansat 3500 and received it yesterday to use while I decide what to do with the one that the Polarotor controls don't work on. You can see my equipment below.

I would add that I have an A/B switch installed to switch the Polarotor controls between the analog and the digital receiver. See Polorotor Master Control thread for the details.

So now I have the equipment and setup I originally envisioned from the beginning.

So now to the review:

I set the BUD to the TS satellite, unhooked the old Pansat, flashed the new one with the latest firmware while unhooked from the equipment, uploaded my channel list and settings to the new one. Hooked the new one up to the dish. Started tuning the skew on each satellite, and now have it complete.

I said all that to point out that throughout the whole transition, I didn't have to change anything on the VBox II. The channel settings in the Pansat have the position numbers in them, and the VBox II stores the position location, so it was just a matter of the Pansat telling the VBox II to move to position 22 for example to get to that satellite.

I have to say that the VBox II is an amazing positioner. It is seamless with the Pansat, and changing channels is just a click of a button, if the channel is on a different bird, the dish moves to that bird, the Pansat sets the polarity and skew, and your new channel arrives setup and ready to watch.

I have been using it a little over a month now, and not once has it lost a position, drifted off the bird, or missed taking off on command from the Pansat. This VBox has been through a beating, and it is still ticking. See my thread Back to the Basics - Please Help!

Pros:
- It works seamlessly with the Pansat to allow you to move a 10' BUD for positioning on the satellite. Once it has been set, it is just a push of a button to get from one satellite to the other. It is almost like having all the controls in one box.

- It has it's own remote control, so if you are using the analog, and have a list of the position numbers that correspond to your satellites, it is not necessary to change satellites with the Pansat. Just enter the position number, and away it goes. It is a good idea to turn the Pansat to standby while using the VBox II as a standalone positioner, when you are finished, turn the Pansat back on, and it moves back to where you left it on the Pansat.

- It will store more position numbers than you have positions for in the Pansat. So if you wanted to set up a separate position for a satellite that is maybe a half degree off another, and you didn't want to set it in the Pansat, you can just store it in the VBox II. Any time you want to access that bird, just push those buttons. They don't have to be in numerical order either.

- When in the antenna setup menu on the Pansat, you can go to the place where you set the position and click either East or West with the Pansat remote, and the VBox jumps about two clicks. But if you put down the Pansat remote and pick up the remote that comes with the VBox II, you can move a single click which is about half of what the button on the Pansat gives you, or about half of what an analog receiver controller gives you. I think that is why I can hone in on the signal so well, because of the greater tuning capabilities of the VBox II.

- The VBox II remembers where the positions are even when switching out the receiver. All you have to do is park the dish where you want it. Set the new receiver independently with your channel list, tune in a station on the satellite you parked it on, hook up the new receiver, and away you go.​

Cons:

- I think I will have a tendency to "surf more between satellites" thereby shortening up the lifespan of my actuator. :D

I can't think of anything bad to say about it. For $79.95, it is a very good investment. I bought mine from Sadoun. I don't know who else carries it, but you should be able to find it. If you have read the thread above about all the problems in the beginning, this device has been through a severe testing and has survived and is still working. It has been factory reset literally at least a dozen times or more. Had the positions changed, replaced, and reset, and it still works great.

I am a happy camper. :) As Iceberg says, "If I get a signal, I am happy, if I get a picture, I am really happy, if I get a good signal and a great picture, I am very happy." Well that is where I am today. Very Happy!!!

Fred

Thanks for the excellant review Fred :D I am sure there are many of us out there who will be happy to see how well the Vbox II works.

Thanks Fred, great Review. I couldn't wait for your Review, I broke down and ordered one late Friday from Sadoun. Still glad you gave it to us though. I got a confirmation email from FedEx yesterday of the pick-up. I'm looking for it tomorrow, but hoping for it today. Thanks for the Review, as well as the other threads on your experience with it. I hope to have no problems, after following your trials.

Al

Hey Fred, my thanks as well. That's a great review! Now I may have to find me a second BUD, so I can dedicate one to 4dtv and one to FTA.

Mike

very good review :)

going to move this to the review area (you can still add anything else you come up with)

Thanks Al, glad you are getting one. You won't regret it.

Thanks Mike for your kind words.

Thanks Iceberg for moving it to the review area, and thanks for your help too.

Fred

Good review Fred.

Glad you liked the Moteck VBOX II positioner. It is an excellent device for thos who want to control their C-Band BUD dishes with their MPEG2 DVB receivers.

The detailed specs on this positioner are located here:
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Moteck/V-Box-II-control.htm

Attachments

• vboxII%20&remote.JPG
    vboxII%20&remote.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 558
  • vboxII%20back.JPG
    vboxII%20back.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 607
  • VboxIIfront.JPG
    VboxIIfront.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 610
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)