Received email from Netflix about household sharing

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Just received this. Keep in mind that I pay for the $19.99/month plan. It mentions you can use Netflix when you travel outside the household, but it still doesn't mention how they plan to enforce this.

Yahoo Mail - An update on sharing between households_Page_1.jpg
Yahoo Mail - An update on sharing between households_Page_2.jpg

My daughter who is away at college just got kicked out of our Netflix account due to this new policy. f**k Netflix. Another woke Bullsh!t move that will end up costing them more in the long run.

Halloween GIF

Reactions: MikeD-C05
My daughter who is away at college just got kicked out of our Netflix account due to this new policy. f**k Netflix. Another woke Bullsh!t move that will end up costing them more in the long run.

Halloween GIF
Have her try TubiTv.com. Pluto tv, Roku Channel, and the like free ones for now. Does she have a Roku, or just the tv apps?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Doesn't matter. They're blackballing any device that isn't on the exact same subnet. Obviously Netflix's IT department is staffed by kindergartners.
Maybe breeze through this. Probable exception is not to use ddns and considering your public ip address isn't "rolled" too often. All client's connected have duped server ip connection configs. On the occasions the public ip is changed a simple edit on the client side or new config file on the server side could be emailed. "Should" work just fine. Maybe not. Worth a try.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_mwzVnS7D0&t=630s

Halloween GIF

Woke...lol

Can't you give her a OTP to login? What happens if you are traveling and try to login? You're not allowed access to your account?

Reactions: TheKrell
Woke...lol

Can't you give her a OTP to login? What happens if you are traveling and try to login? You're not allowed access to your account?
Traveling is allowed, what happened was Netflix already noticed that the account was being used in two different places (ip addresses), so when the policy took affect, they knew which accounts were going against the rules, which have been on their terms and conditions page for a few years now, they are just now enforcing it.

Also, it is only $7.99 more a month, basically the same price as a extra box from a Cable/Satellite Provider, I remember when my son went to school, cable and broadband was $100 a month in the dorms, by the time my daughter went, streaming had taken over, but she never had Netflix, happy with YouTube.

Reactions: dishdude
Traveling is allowed, what happened was Netflix already noticed that the account was being used in two different places (ip addresses), so when the policy took affect, they knew which accounts were going against the rules, which have been on their terms and conditions page for a few years now, they are just now enforcing it.

Also, it is only $7.99 more a month, basically the same price as a extra box from a Cable/Satellite Provider, I remember when my son went to school, cable and broadband was $100 a month in the dorms, by the time my daughter went, streaming had taken over, but she never had Netflix, happy with YouTube.

So they're keeping record of known IP addresses?

So they're keeping record of known IP addresses?
Yep, they have been doing that for years.

When my friend worked there before she left for Disney, she said there would be meetings all the time about how to handle password sharing, some of the things she told me about were a lot worse then paying $7.99 a month.

• Wow
Reactions: dishdude
Just received this. Keep in mind that I pay for the $19.99/month plan. It mentions you can use Netflix when you travel outside the household, but it still doesn't mention how they plan to enforce this.
I am still trying to figure out your logic, that by paying $19.99, it allows you to share it with other family members outside of your home?

Then, since I pay YTTV $73 I should be able to let my kids use it in their homes, or MAX, Paramount, Disney, Hulu, Sunday Ticket, etc.

What about the older days, when neighbors ran a wire from someone else’s house to steal cable, back in the ****** trailer park I grew up in, a lot of them did that.

Or when you were able to put your own dish on your roof and get a receiver from a family member that was activated so you could use it in your home ( this was back when Dish was doing audit phone calls).

If everyone did this, then the company does not make enough money to produce programming, asking $7.99 was the least expensive way of cracking down on password sharing, they were talking about more drastic ways of handing it.

And again, $7.99 is not too much to ask, it is basically the monthly rental cost of a extra cable/satellite box.

And why did you start a new thread on this when one already existed, one that you posted in with the exact same grievance?

Last edited:
Reactions: mackie99