Receiver Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
Yes it is a $10 monthly "Premium" DVR fee, versus the regular $6.

It is a big rip off is what it is. I have a 922 and a 722K with the sling adapter. It does the same thing the 922 does, but if I did not have the 922 it would be a regular DVR fee.

bobvick said:
It is a big rip off is what it is. I have a 922 and a 722K with the sling adapter. It does the same thing the 922 does, but if I did not have the 922 it would be a regular DVR fee.

I have to agree with this. Now that the sling adapter provides this functionality to 722/722k receivers, that extra $4/month seems wrong. 922 owners aren't getting any additional premium DVR functionality to be paying a monthly premium.

bobvick said:

I know Dish can charge what they want but what's the reason behind the extra charge? If sling is free what makes it a "premium" receiver ?

It has a unique UI, along with a larger HDD are a couple reasons.

How does this translate into a premium DVR? (I've heard the extra HDD space is used for VOD not user accessible DVR space- if that is incorrect, then the advantage of a larger HDD is readily apparent. But even that extra space doesn't justify $4/month, especially since adding an external HDD is now free.)

It is optional (getting the 922 that is), you can look at the fee in another light if you choose.

What other light would that be?

And for the record, I'm not implying that people aren't making a conscious choice when getting a 922, just pointing out that the extra $4/month for it being a premium DVR is now as close to unjustified as you can get.

Quite honestly, I'd love the improved guide, but not at a cost of $4/month.

Another light:
The 922 has a cooler interface with a larger internal hard drive than the 722. It cost $4 dollars more a month that a standard DVR. If you don’t see the extra value (I don’t) fine. If you do see the value, good for you. Don’t be mad because Dish offers multiple options at different prices. That’s one of the things that makes Dish different. They offer English packages from $9 (Welcome Pack w/o locals) to $105 (Everything pack) but most people fall in between. They offer DVRs from free (501,508 & the 211 with an external hard drive) to $10 (922) and again most people fall in between @ $6 (510, 512, 612, 622, 722).
1st. New tech always cost more. 6 years ago I paid a $200 upgrade fee for my 622. At the time, I felt it was worth the money to was worth it to upgrade from my 921. Now, Dish gives away 722s. When the 933 or the 922.4 comes out, they will give away the 922.
2nd Dish seems to offer cheaper ways for the tech savvy to get by. The people on this web site are a lot more techie than John Q Public. Whether it is an EHD on a 211 or a sling adapter on a 722, Dish offers advanced users a way to do it yourself. What other company offers these features for free?
If no one paid $1000 for a Blu-Ray player 6 years ago, I wouldn’t be able to buy one for $100 now.
Matt works for Dish he can’t respond the way he wants to. I think it is great that Dish has people here ready to help when they can.
Is the 922 the best solution for most customers? NO. However there are people on this site that the 922 makes perfect sense for.

andrewj0781 said:
Do you need a tech to come out to hook up a 922? The back looks the same as the 722 from pictures on the Internet.

Yes. They want to be sure it's hooked up properly. Although if you purchase one from another place, I suppose you would just call and activate.

Think of that $4 as monthly installments on a sling adapter for your 722. In 2 years, you'll have it paid off, interest free. LOL!

...And here comes the math nerd...that's only $96!!!!!!

It has a unique UI, along with a larger HDD are a couple reasons.

You should also add that according to numerous posts, DishPass does not function, Manual timers can NOT be created using the remote and 922 (one has to do this online), and still reports of inferior OTA support compared with other ViP's. So, as andrewj0781 asked, how does that all add up to a "premium" receiver? There really should be some "wow" factor/service for the extra $4 per month, and not just the UI and HDD because that just doesn't meet the notion of a "service." Now that the 722/K can become Sling, the extra $4 per month for the 922 really does seem like a gouge to the Power Users. Dish should now just drop the extra fee, like they did for the external HDD feature.

Jimmerinwi said:
Yes. They want to be sure it's hooked up properly. Although if you purchase one from another place, I suppose you would just call and activate.

LOL, if that were the case I would not have had to help the installer hook mine up. He hadn't even seen one before installing mine.

Sling Adapters work on both 722's and 722k's, so I expect the Extender to work with both (and the 922).

Ok. That's where I'd decide if I save Money and just buy the sling and then get the 300 (who knows they'll probably add a fee on it and count it as another receiver) but if it won't work with the 722 then I'll have to upgrade.

I like that you guys are complaining about $4 a month and not the $200 up front cost that also is associated with it.

Because, according to Scott, Dish's rational for the extra $4 per month was for the Sling Feature. OK, fine when the 922 was the only box offering Sling. The point we are making is that now that the 722 and "K's" can offer Sling at no additional MONTHLY charge, that really eliminates Dish's reason for charging the extra $4 per month for the 922.

The reason I don't have a problem with the extra $100 in upgrade cost for the 922 is that it does have Sling built-in and if I wanted to add Sling functionality to a 722 or "K's" we would still have to pay the same additional $99 (just $1 below $100) for the Sling Extender, so the upgrade price isn't really the troubling charge as it makes sense, and even Charlie said one should not get a 922 unless they want Sling functions. In other words, now the $4 per month extra charge for the 922 has morphed into a new creature being referred to as a "premium" DVR fee rather than the Sling functionality as originally reported when the 922 was first available, and the arguments of the new, pretty guide costing being a justification for the extra $4 bucks per month are pretty weak.

Now, seriously, can you see our point, or are you going to be silly and sarcastic which would indicate you are just here to agitate. I do see your point, but kindly disagree with no childish, giggly depreciating sarcasm as I have respect for your views. Please have some for ours. I don't recall any one on this thread calling you ugly names.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)