Receiver re-boots on some transponders

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
Hello, everyone,
I am about 3 years in involvement with satellite reception, limited to Ku, 101W and 97W. On 101 W there are 4 FTA stations: History (marked as ENC11 test), Polish language religious TRWAM, Dutch language BVN, and Serbian language RTS. (Few months ago it was also Biography, but it stopped being FTA - unscrambled). I use CaptiveWorks 600 Premium receiver. At the end of every month, for a few days, whenever I switch from non-English station to History, the receiver re-boots, sometimes even 2 times, and finally allows me to watch this program. With Biography it was the same. Switching between Polish, Dutch and Serbian stations never caused re-booting. On 97 W (Galaxy 19) with its some 180 channels, some stations also force the receiver to re-boot. Is it fault of my receiver? Why does it happen? I assume there is something in the signal from satellite forcing the receiver to re-boot. Any way to avoid it? It is not much as a nuisance, but still it makes me curious how it works. Cheers, polgyver

Don't know jack about that receiver but it sounds like it could be a power supply problem. My 9200 started doing strange things [freezing, rebooting, etc.] and needs the caps replaced. (I got LAZY and ordered up an S9, the 9200 is still without new caps) The S9 now locks up and/or may reboot on a few channels that it didn't on earlier firmware, so that's another possibility. Maybe reloading the FW(???)

I would try resetting the receiver to default settings if possible or as Fat Air suggested, reinstall the firmware.

Edit: You may lose your channels and satellite settings by resetting your receiver.

Last edited:
A few years back there was a transponder on 97W that would cause Fortec Star Mercury II receivers to reboot. Fortec Star quickly created a new firmware file to correct the problem.

This could be an issue with a specific transponder interacting with the firmware on your receiver. Hopefully one of the previously mentioned suggestions corrects this issue with your STB.

Don't know jack about that receiver but it sounds like it could be a power supply problem. My 9200 started doing strange things [freezing, rebooting, etc.] and needs the caps replaced. (I got LAZY and ordered up an S9, the 9200 is still without new caps) The S9 now locks up and/or may reboot on a few channels that it didn't on earlier firmware, so that's another possibility. Maybe reloading the FW(???)

These re-boots happen every month, from approximately 25 -th to 30 or 31-st with all these CaptiveWork receivers I had. I did factory resets, it did not help. From day 1 of every month the re-boots do not happen until day 25 or 26. Now, regarding capacitors, I found a story on Internet, that 2 employees from big company making capacitors quit and started their own production. But they did not know all the recipes for making caps, and many computer manufacturers ended with costly repairs. Myself I had to replace 3 caps with convex (swollen) tops in my monitor, as it could not power up. I used older caps and the monitor now works.

A few years back there was a transponder on 97W that would cause Fortec Star Mercury II receivers to reboot. Fortec Star quickly created a new firmware file to correct the problem.

This could be an issue with a specific transponder interacting with the firmware on your receiver. Hopefully one of the previously mentioned suggestions corrects this issue with your STB.

I checked "The List!" and found out that BVN, RTS and TRWAM are on so called Strong Transponder and are not encrypted. But History, which my receiver displays as ENC 11 Test, is on a regular (?) transponder and everything else there is encrypted. When I scan the satellite, I get also other version of History which is without sound, just video. So it seems that you gave right diagnosis. What is interesting, this interaction happens only in certain days in a month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)