Receiver recommendation

sry58

Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Currently have a 622 and a 322. I am having to switch from a western arc dish to an eastern one. (I am giving up local channels; not a big deal as I'm installing an attic antenna this weekend. We'll finally have HD for local.)

Main TV, HD, and basement are on the 622. The 322 feeds two bedroom tv's, SD.

I understand that the 322 will need to be replaced and my wife would like a DVR upstairs. Thoughts? The attic antenna will be hooked up to the 622 and whatever box we wind up with upstairs.

Well the cheapest way to have the DVR would be to go with a VIP 211.You can get an external hdd for it and pay a one time fee of $40 to turn the 211 into a dvr.But that would only allow for 1 tv.If you have to have 2 tv's for the second receiver then either a 622 or 722K would be your best choice.722K being the best choice.

Currently have a 622 and a 322. I am having to switch from a western arc dish to an eastern one. (I am giving up local channels; not a big deal as I'm installing an attic antenna this weekend. We'll finally have HD for local.)

Main TV, HD, and basement are on the 622. The 322 feeds two bedroom tv's, SD.

I understand that the 322 will need to be replaced and my wife would like a DVR upstairs. Thoughts? The attic antenna will be hooked up to the 622 and whatever box we wind up with upstairs.

AFAIK, since HD locals are now included in the packages, you cannot opt-out any longer. And if you could, you would lose info in the EPG. They would just show up as "digital service" and you would have to create all your timers manually. NOT FUN!

The least expensive solution (in terms of receiver fees) would be a 211K for the upstairs with an EHD making it a DVR, without the much higher HD DVR fees. A one time $40.00 activation fee would be required.

When I bought my first HDTV, I got onto a slippery slope. Everybody wanted an HDTV w/Dish HD DVR. My final configuration: 722 for family room (HD) and basement (SD) and Sling Adapter, and two 612's for the bedrooms. I feed the satellite and OTA signals to all 3.

Note that the free EHD can be used to supplement storage and move programs around among these receivers. You cannot do this with your 622 and a 211. Note also the 612's are dual-tuner receivers (actually 3 counting OTA) whereas the 211 is a single tuner receiver (w/OTA).

Thanks for the replies so far. I live in a very small market, Charlottesville, Va., currently all locals are SD. Furthermore our locals are not available on the eastern arc. The western arc just doesn't work for me anymore - trees, etc. So my only option to stay with Dish is to go to eastern arc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts