Receiver upgrade question

griz_fan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 13, 2004
Meridian, Idaho
Hi,

I currently have America’s top 250 with locals and Gold HD. According to my online account info, our original 522 receiver is the primary receiver, and our 622 is receiver #2. We have an HD TV attached to the 522. Does Dish still offer Dish’n It Up (or something similar) to upgrade? It’s been a few months since I last checked. At one point, I was eligible to upgrade the 522 to an HD model, but I no longer see that option on my account page now. Does Dish still offer these kinds of upgrades? Also, would there be any additional monthly costs for me to upgrade my 522 to either a dual-tuner, dual-output DVR?

thanks!

How come your HD set is hooked to the 522? That should be the other way around.

If it's been more than a year since your last dishin it up deal, you should be able to upgrade the 522. It will probably cost some money to do so but since it will be your new primary receiver, there will not be any additional monthly cost.

Also, where are you (what DMA)? and what kind of Dish do you have? You may need an upgrade there as well.

I would call Dish ASAP for an upgrade. Get your upgrade now while they are cheap (before free HD for life starts). Then sign up for free HD for life when that promotion starts. You could get a free upgrade, then free HD programming.

heh... yeah, the 62" living room TV is hooked to our 622, the 42" bedroom TV is hooked to the 522. Not sure what model dish I have, but I'm in the Boise, ID market and currently have no problems with receiving programming on my 622. the last I checked, I could get what looked to be a 622 for $50 upgrade fee, although I no longer see any reference to that on the Dish website when I log in. The big issue for me is whether or not we'll see an increase in our monthly bill going from a 522/622 to a pair of 622's.

Starting June 3rd the price for upgrades is increasing. However they are starting a “ Free HD for Life” campaign. As an existing customer if you:
1. Sign up for autopay and paperless billing.
2. Sign a new 2 year commitment (required for your upgrade)
Then you will get the basic HD programming free for the life of your account.

If you do it this way there may be a $10 savings per month.

The OP states the 522 is the primary receiver. He is already paying for DVR service so there is no monthly increase. The primary receiver has no extra cost attached to it.

I believe the upgrade fee (one time charge) is based on how many HD/DVRs are on the account. Replacing the 522 would make it his second.

Starting June 3rd the price for upgrades is increasing. However they are starting a “ Free HD for Life” campaign. As an existing customer if you:
1. Sign up for autopay and paperless billing.
2. Sign a new 2 year commitment (required for your upgrade)
Then you will get the basic HD programming free for the life of your account.

If you do it this way there may be a $10 savings per month.

True. You just will not get the platnum channels.

So - If I understand correctly, I will incur a one-time upgrade fee, but no increase in my monthly bill. And, it sounds like I need to hurry on this...

Yes, the upgrade fee is for the new receiver. Save $10.00 per month if you don't want the platnum HD channels. I like EPIX1 and 2 and Retroplex so I am still going to pay for those.

The only thing never asked here, and it should be as the 522 is an old model, do you own or lease it? If you own it, you don't need to return it but you can deactivate and even sell it.

its a leased 522. So, If I go paperless, sign-up for the 2 year commitment and forgo the Platinum pack (which I don't have anyway), I can actually save $10/month? that would be nice...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts