receiver

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
im in the market for a new reciever
im cheap, but like quality (i know the 2 dont go together)
im lookin for a 5.1/7.1 unit with 3-4 hdmi in, hdmi out
wattage - well no clu eon this as diff people rate them diff

any suggestions as to a model/place to look?

Last year's Denon 3310 is $538 on Amazon. Can't go wrong if you want the latest codecs and don't need 3D support.

Amazon.com: Used and New: Denon AVR3310CI 7.1-Channel Network Home Theater Receiver

S~

You might also wish to consider last year's Onkyos. They tend to be a bit less expensive for the same features and quality. BTW, last year's Onkyos are HDMI 1.4 compliant. The 608 is coming in around $375 and meets your minimum requirements. The 808 is THX certified, with 7 HDMI inputs at $679 on Amazon. Heck, even the 508 at $250 might be enough. I am not a big fan of the 508 series because it doesn't do upconversion of component and composite sources. That means you need to have 2 cables going from the receiver to the TV and add complexity to your switching. If you only have HDMI devices though, it would be all you need.

Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR60...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1289236076&sr=1-1

Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR808 7.2-Channel Network Home Theater Receiver (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

any input on harmon kardon
they have a factory store in ebay with refurb units that come with factory warranty

Personally, I'm not a fan of Onkyo. I replaced my Integra with a Marantz and glad I did. HK is owned by the same company as Lexicon. HK menus and receivers can be tricky to navigate.

S~

Personally, I'm not a fan of Onkyo.

Although I respect your opinion, here I disagree. You are welcome to be a fan of whatever you choose, but mdram would do himself a disservice by not considering Onkyo. IMHO, they are currently providing the best bang for the buck. Perfect? No, but the receivers put out a clean sound and have a good feature set at a price lower than the comparables. Don't get me wrong, I like Denon and Marantz, but the prices are somewhat higher.

As for HK, I haven't owned one since the early '80s. They seem to have a pretty solid reputation among owners though. So do Yamahas, although usually at a higher price per feature. The price Teachsac is quoting on the 1065 is pretty good and should be considered.

Best thing mdram could do is figured out what he truly wants/needs. How many HDMIs, size of room, vieo/audio switching, etc. I bought a Denon because I had one before and technology had since changed. It is a little more pricey than an Onkyo but that is an individual decision. It is like a person what kind of fruit should I buy

well i have a min of 2 hdmi inputs, wanted at least a third for possible future
room is @ 24longx14wide. wired for 5.1, but could put 7.1 in easily

im not 100% sure what i want yet
just looking for options
most of the names mentioned i know.
been looking for a deal for a month or so, figured with christmas around the corner more might be popping up

All I was saying was not to rule it out. Mdram, you can see how quickly this becomes a religious issue. I don't believe you would be dissatisfied with any receiver mentioned so far (now if someone says Bose... :) ) You will find fans and critics of all brands.

Any of the mentioned receivers should handle the required power level, assuming a reasonably efficient speaker. So you do need to think toward speakers here as that will make a big difference.

2 HDMI inputs is easy. Every receiver mentioned so far has 4-8 HDMI inputs. You might also want to consider the following features:
- upconversion of component/composite inputs. It allows one connection to the TV and one stop switching at the receiver.
- Audyssey calibration. Will use a microphone to give you an automatic basic setup of speaker levels, equalization and delays.
- variable resolution video output resolution (1080P, 1080i, 720P etc)
- HDMI 1.4 switching (futureproof for 3D and newer formats)
- THX certification
- Direct inputs (to handle decoding that comes in the future)
- Volume limiting (when you don't want to wake the kids)
- Input labels (so you know it is the bluRay and not VCR2)

Definitely didn't say not to consider the Onkyo. I just didn't find the Onkyo brand to have the sonic capabilities I was looking for (especially 2 channel audio), while it did serve me for the time I had it. Another receiver to consider, that is also future proof for now, is the Pioneer 1020. I have one right now and it works extremely well running Klipsch speakers. Good price on Amazon right now, also (387.55).

Amazon.com: Pioneer VSX-1020-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver: Electronics

S~

I'll second Onkyo. As was said, best bang for the buck. Most have plenty of digital inputs, plenty of features, easy to set up and use, and has Audyssey auto speaker calibration and room correction (so does Denon). I use an Onkyo TX-SR805 and love it. In the past, I've used JVC and Yamaha. While they were good, at the time, the Onkyo blows them away, in every way. My next receiver will probably be an Onkyo too. Good luck with whatever you decide on. :)

doing some research i found some real nice deals at accessories4less
onkyo and marantz

anyone deal with them?

also any thought on the factory refurbs?

doing some research i found some real nice deals at accessories4less
onkyo and marantz

anyone deal with them?

also any thought on the factory refurbs?

never dealt with accessories4less.

I have purchased refurb several times, including an Onkyo receiver. There are a few things you need to be aware of. First, most of these liquidator places will not accept returns, so you need to deal with the manufacturers directly. That usually means a longer process if a problem develops. Second, you need to be aware that the warranty may be less inclusive and will definitely be shorter in length. Finally, the chances of a problem are probably a bit higher than new stock.

To be fair, I have seldom had problems with B stock (refurb), and when I have the manufacturer usually has been pretty good about it. The savings are real as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)