Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fhipper

Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Long time Dish customer and not under contract. I have a 622 as the primary receiver in the family room. Use the 622's SD second feed for a small HD TV in the computer room. The family and computer rooms share a common wall so the SD cable run is very easy. I like this setup and the SD picture is fine on the small TV which is used maybe once a week. Need to have OTA functionality on whatever I eventually upgrade to.

The consensus of the reviews on the 922 seem less than satisfactory. Could go with a 722 but hate to enter into new contract for a less than current model receiver. I have no interest in the hopper whole house DVR system and the added cost of a Joey for the computer room. What are the odds of Dish improving the 922 or even coming out with an upgrade to the 922 style receiver in the near future?

Trying to figure out if I should roll the dice on a 922, bump up to a 722 or just stay with a perfectly good working 622 and see what happens over the next few months?

Very little development seems to be gong on with any receiver other than the Hopper. You don't get much going to a 722 other than bigger disk and possibility of a Sling Adapter. With a 722k, you also have the option of adding the OTA module and get 2 ATSC tuners to play with.

But, unless you really want the 922 for some good reason (pretty tiled interface?), you should know that it costs $10/mo rather than the $6 you are now paying for a DVR.

It's really up to you. What's stopping you from going to a single Hopper? This would "work" if you don't mind watching teh same program on both your TVs.

You may not need to go with another contract if you get a 722 as a long time customer. Dish does not always require it. You would with the Hoppah.

Thank you for moving my post to the correct place Iceberg.

I don't think the hopper would work for me. I usually watch something different on the SD feed in the computer room when my wife is watching one of her shows. I might see if Dish will let me trade the 622 for a 722 without a new contract. Appreciate your feedback.

fhipper said:
Thank you for moving my post to the correct place Iceberg.

I don't think the hopper would work for me. I usually watch something different on the SD feed in the computer room when my wife is watching one of her shows. I might see if Dish will let me trade the 622 for a 722 without a new contract. Appreciate your feedback.

Only real difference a 722 has over a 622 is slightly bigger hard drive, the 722k has a slot for a ota modual for 2 tuners for ota. And its black, but other than that its basically the same reciever. (Read: same reciever family).

Any reason why you want to "upgrade"?

The main reasons I'm thinking about the upgrade, as the posters have mentioned, are the sling adaptor capability and secondarily a larger internal hard drive. The ability to use an EHD make the larger drive in the 722 a nice feature but not a necessity.

Stick with what you have unless they will give you a 722K without contract extension. 922's are history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts