Recent DTV install but no Single wire solution!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

realpoet01

Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Well….For the most part I am happy with this weekend’s new DTV install. The installer was polite and seemed to know what he was doing. Unfortunately, after talking with the installer a while, I found he knew little about the SWM. Thus both of my HR21’s are only using one of the two available tuners. I did have the installer run four different wires down to my garage even though I was only utilizing two for the HR21's, thinking that I may be able to install an SWM8 myself w/o going on my roof. I am assuming that these four wires are from four separate LNB’s. Would my thinking be correct? Also, do you think that once DTV rolls out the SWM to all required installs, would I be able to get it from them for less then 219 even though I’ve already had an install?

I get my locals through the single dish, which I'm fairly sure is a 5lnb slimline. No OTA programming here.

Great forum with useful tips and lots intiresting info! Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
If you have H21s, then there is no second tuner, thus no need for a second line.

A SWM won't do you any good in this case as your already using a single line to each box.

Now, if you have HR2xs, then that is a different story.

I think it was also said the for now the SWM would be reserved for installs when the current typical solutions would not work at all.

SWM is being used in markets where they have launched it (less than half) when they have it in stock, and only for installs with two or more HD-DVRs. At least that is my understanding, may be wrong.

What an installer in Austin told me is a SWMSlimline can be used when 5 to 8 tuners are being installed. So that could be 2 DVR's and 1 non-DVR or any other combination that fits that requirement.

SWM idea

I checked the install instructions on weaknees and it looks like I can connect the four wires coming from the KaKu satellite to the first four connectors on the bottom of the unit. I don't have a 95 or 72.5 satellites so those inputs won't be used. SWM port 1 can go to my HR21 & SWM port two can go to my second HR21 thus won't require a SWM splitter. Anybody think this won't work? Now all I have to do is wait for the price to drop and I should be good to go.

That is exactly how it works. They have it for $179 shipped for satguys members right now, see the "swm prices dropping" thread if interested.

I checked the install instructions on weaknees and it looks like I can connect the four wires coming from the KaKu satellite to the first four connectors on the bottom of the unit. I don't have a 95 or 72.5 satellites so those inputs won't be used. SWM port 1 can go to my HR21 & SWM port two can go to my second HR21 thus won't require a SWM splitter. Anybody think this won't work? Now all I have to do is wait for the price to drop and I should be good to go.

That's how I have mine connected.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts