Recent DVR install with no phone line & DTV the company

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blowjet

Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
I had a DTV R15 installed last month; it died, they sent another one and it's working fine. I really like it. The total monthly additional cost was about $11.

I do not have a land line phone and I didn't want to lie to DTV about it so I couldn't order it directly from their site. So I called them on my Skype out phone (just for kicks; I have a cell as the main phone) The first guy said I must have a land based phone line, "it's required." "That's not what I read on the web" said I. "Where on the web" said he. "satelliteguys" I responded. "Oh, well it's still required." So I asked for a supervisor and was put into that queue for about a 3 minute wait. The trick is just to tell them that you only have a cell phone and they will stumble around and then say ok. I noticed the sentence on my order "Land line to be installed later."

I did not need to take my box to a neighbors to make the first call. The technician did that with his cell phone. And, after the replacement box, I did it to set that one up.

The technician had only been in this country for 4 months and with his command of english I was disappointed that I couldn't have a dialog with him about the installation. But everything worked when he left. He did say that he also installs Cable.

Moving along, I think DTV will be in an uphill battle with cable in the future because of the bundle of services they offer (TV, internet & phone). In my opinion they need to merge with DISH because two satellite providers are going to have a tough time seperately in the future. I would love to have competition for my Comcast internet service. I pay $55 a month which is too much. Verizon DSL won't hookup my house because I don't have land based phone service with them. (even though my cell is Verizon, it's a different division, half owned by a German company) Done Ranting. Hope this contributes!!

I do not have a "home phone" for D* to use with my TIVO and it works fine. I was told by a D* supervisor that the no phone line is not an issue at all.

I also do not have land lines connected. I don't bundle either and I save money versus the "cable triple threat" as they call it. I get my DirecTV directly from D*, my high-speed DSL from SBC, and my telephone is VoIP. All are non-promo pricing; which is the ONLY way they are to be compared for a true savings/cost accounting; and I beat the cable bundle. Cable bundles can be a OK deal IF you factor the promotional discounts AND you get all the same channels you want. After the promo wear off; look out.

Why $11 additional

Tbone204: Well I overstated the amount by $.02; should be $10.98. Since I owned my last receiver the additional cost to me includes the new leased DVR+. $5.99 DVR service fee plus $4.99 leased receiver. I mentioned it because I kind of knew it but reality sank in when I got the bill. -regards

I price comcast digital cable and to get the same service I have with D* for $130 would cost $190 with them. I did get cable mdem at 11.5 MB and it was CHEAPER to get it with basic cable!!!! I havent hooked the comcrap cable up to any of my TVs.

johnml: Thanks. I checked my bill again and my web DTV account and found the old receiver was still there. (Honest mistake; they activated it again when the new one died but didn't remove it when I got the replacement) I called and they removed it. So what you're saying is that the $4.99 should drop off the bill next month?

r15 units DO NOT REQURE A PHONE LINE.
neither will the HR20 hd-dvr.

They dont use tivo software, so they dont need to do that &Y^(^&%$$$* daily call in.

thankyouforcallingdtv said:
They dont use tivo software, so they dont need to do that &Y^(^&%$$$* daily call in.

The D-Tivo do not REQUIRE a phone line either, after the initial setup. The ONLY difference is, you get the daily nag screen. It does NOT affect the DVR otherwise & I have several D-Tivo customers that get by just fine w/out one.

14 days you start getting a possible lockout message.
31 days and it should auto-kill the dvr functions.

if they didnt get the auto kill, then they're lucky their access card didnt get the update.
its a pita to fix that on our end too.

if they didnt get the auto kill, then they're lucky their access card didnt get the update.

Not sure what D-Tivo DVR's you work with, but I've never, ever have seen this on any of the D-Tivo's w/out phone lines I've worked with. Do a search here & you'll see MANY others that don't seem to have these issues.

I guess we all must be "lucky", considering I have several that haven't seen a phone line in at least a couple years... :confused:
BTW - you DO know the AC is NOT updated over the phone line, right... :rolleyes:

Well, look at MY side of the table - I assure you, that if I had a single one of my customers have these issues, they would have told me LONG ago, in short order... ;)

In the year+ I've been on this board, I have never, ever, read of _any_ D* DVR [*], Tivo, or otherwise, 'auto-killing' DVR functionality because of lack of phone line, and trust me, the majority of users who post have more tendancy to complain than anything, so if this 'auto-kill' was true/functional at all [**], we'd see it here en masse. I suspect this is an attempt at spreading FUD.

[*] The way the HR-20 will handle this, is yet to be seen.

[**] I have no doubt D* _does_ have the capability to do this, but based on what I have seen, for whatever reason, they don't/won't, if they tried some smack like this with me, they'd be minus one customer.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts