Recommend a good universal remote for my new Hopper setup?

emarkd

Original poster
Sorry if this is off-topic but I didn't see a better place to post it. Can someone recommend a very good, configurable universal remote for Hopper, tv, pre-amp, blu-ray, etc. I've got entirely too many remotes and would like to consolidate but want something that works very intuitively for Dish. RF support is a must because the equipment is hidden. I won't say price isn't an issue, but I don't mind spending for it.

On a similar note, does anybody know of a good univeral remote that's waterproof or water resistant. Now that we've got Hopper, my wife really wants a Joey and a tv mounted above the tub :)

I've been using Harmony (now Logitech) remotes for years and have been very happy!
They are not waterproof though! :)

I also vote for Logitech Harmony universal remotes. I have a 880 & a One. Very happy with them. You'll only drop them in the water once, though. :(

Look thru their offerings to find one best suited for you. Never mind the cost. I wish I had gone with Harmony first, rather than wasting money and effort on cheaper ones that never quite did the job.

I also vote for Logitech Harmony universal remotes. I have a 880 & a One. Very happy with them. You'll only drop them in the water once, though. :(

Look thru their offerings to find one best suited for you. Never mind the cost. I wish I had gone with Harmony first, rather than wasting money and effort on cheaper ones that never quite did the job.

Does anyone know when or if the One is ready to go for the Hopper? Or will it go on the 722 remote code?

James

I would assume it's ready by now! :)
The Harmony database get's updated by the customers. So, as soon as the first Beta units are out there, someone will always learn the IR codes from the supplied remote and will make them available to the rest of the World.

I have a Harmony One and a 610. I love them both. My only gripe about the Harmony One is that it does not have the Red/Green/Yellow/Blue buttons built in. You have to create those in the soft keys.

Otherwise I whole-heatedly recommend Harmony.

I haven't had much experience with the logitech line of remotes... what capabilities do they have that the dish trainable remotes can't replicate? All I know about them is that they are pricey... however, several of my computer components are logitech made, overall their quality seems to be top-notch.

I haven't had much experience with the logitech line of remotes... what capabilities do they have that the dish trainable remotes can't replicate? All I know about them is that they are pricey... however, several of my computer components are logitech made, overall their quality seems to be top-notch.

The Harmony remotes are Activity-based while the remote that comes with the Dish is device-based. When you pick up a Harmony remote you select what you want to do and the remote takes it from there. For example, the first activity I have listed is "Watch Satellite TV". When pressing that one button, the remote powers up the DISH, AV Receiver, and TV and sets the TV and AV Receiver to the correct inputs. If I then want to use the "Watch a DVD activity, I press that and then the DISH receiver turns off, the DVD player powers up and the AV Receiver switches to the correct input. With a DISH remote, you probably could do the same thing, but it requires more button presses on your part. Pressing Input a couple times when having AUX selected, pressing Power when selecting DVD, oh and then not forgetting to put the DISH receiver in stand by. Harmony makes things really simple... and "wife-proof" if you know what I mean. I don't have to tell her what inputs to select, she just tells the remote what she wants to do and it does it. Now mind you, getting it to all work properly will take a couple hours of trial and error on your part when you first get the remote. But I've been using Harmony Remotes for the last 8 years and swear by them.

bgnewb said:
Does anyone know when or if the One is ready to go for the Hopper? Or will it go on the 722 remote code?

James

Makes no difference. All the codes are exactly the same. Actually, using an established model's codes is a lot better because the newest user learns are usually riddled with mistakes and missing commands. It took a couple of years before the latest DirecTV models has code sets as good as the older models, in spite of the fact that all DirecTV models use the same codes. Logitech is very slow to recognize similarities among devices.

Bottom line is there is no reason to learn any codes. The 722 codes will work 100%.

Interestingly, I noticed that the hopper remote is now made by UEI, the maker of DirecTV, one-for-all, JP1 and most cable remotes. That means a much bigger and comprehensive code database for your other devices than the previous OEM had. Their code database is even larger than logitech's by a huge margin.

Makes no difference. All the codes are exactly the same. Actually, using an established model's codes is a lot better because the newest user learns are usually riddled with mistakes and missing commands. It took a couple of years before the latest DirecTV models has code sets as good as the older models, in spite of the fact that all DirecTV models use the same codes. Logitech is very slow to recognize similarities among devices.

Bottom line is there is no reason to learn any codes. The 722 codes will work 100%.

Interestingly, I noticed that the hopper remote is now made by UEI, the maker of DirecTV, one-for-all, JP1 and most cable remotes. That means a much bigger and comprehensive code database for your other devices than the previous OEM had. Their code database is even larger than logitech's by a huge margin.

Cool thx guys for the input, installer will be out in a little while so i was wondering if the Remote will be good or i would have to use both till i got the One trained or a code put out.

I have used harmony remotes for years but there quality is just horrible the last few years. It seems every remote i get starts acting up within a year or so. I am about to go on my 3rd harmony one here shortly.

In the last couple months i tried the URC remotes since i have read there quality is top notch, the bad part is you have to program them yourself. If your not good with computers or know a little bit about programming you may be out of luck. You also have to ask for the software to program it. Some dealers will not give you the software even though they are supposed to. Most dealers are trying to charge you the $200 to program the remote for you. I am pretty good at stuff like this and was able to figure out the software within an 1 1/2hrs and had it fully programmed.

The only thing i hated about the URC remotes was that they are very un-ergonomic..The MX-980 was probably the nicest remote i have ever used but it was just flat out gigantic. I had to constantly shuffle my hands around to just do the simplest things. I then tried the MX-880 which is a step down but alot more ergonomic. The button layout bothered me though and also the fact that the buttons clicked when pressed. However on both remotes the feel was solid, almost like holding a piece of steel in your hand. Thats how well they are built(especially the 980) The prices at BB for the 980 is like $600 but you can get them for around $250 on ebay.

So sadly since there is nothing else out there i will be buying another harmony one most likely...

You might want to set it to a 922 so you have the codes for the colored buttons. The 40.0 remote might not shot out IR when it's in SAT mode since the receiver is RF, even if you enable IR on the Hopper.

I was going to ask this question. The 722 doesn't have colored buttons. But the 922 does. So setting the remote to the 922 should work better? Does anything else change? Right now to access my DVR list directly, I have a sequence set to hit the DVR button twice. Takes me right to my list. What do the colored buttons on the Hopper do?

The remote that came with my 722k does have colored buttons, but they are rarely used.

Your multiple button press sequences will still work fine. On the Hopper they simply enhanced the interface by adding new colored button shortcuts for lots of things while keeping the multiple button presses you're used to. The only things I've had to change so far are my closed caption macro (steps are different and there is on additional for a total of 9) and my favorites for the music channels (they are now 5 digits and all start with 099).

Cool thx guys for the input, installer will be out in a little while so i was wondering if the Remote will be good or i would have to use both till i got the One trained or a code put out.
Your current universal codes will continue to work fine. Just remember to enable IR on the Hopper. If anybody needs the colored button codes, I can post the pronto hex if you tell me what receiver address you need.

You might want to set it to a 922 so you have the codes for the colored buttons. The 40.0 remote might not shot out IR when it's in SAT mode since the receiver is RF, even if you enable IR on the Hopper.
Has it been confirmed yet that yellow from the 922 profile will work on the Hopper? I assume it will, but do we know for sure since it never actually worked on the 922, AFAIK.

In any case, if you do have to learn, any Dish IR remote with colored buttons should work fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts