Recommendations for a complete system?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dee,

Read HOW TO SETUP A MOTORIZED SATELLITE DISH Tutorial, it contains everything you need to setup a Ku-band motorized dish. Some C-band specific aiming info can be found on excellent Geo-Orbit site.

Oh wow! Thank you!

That's going to take me a while to read and a whole lot longer to digest... :)

fline1.gif

Oh yes, and I finally got White Springs in with 100%
First time ever. The pole the dish was on was crooked and wiggly so I had someone plant a new pole and now it's awesome!

Oh and FYI.. If you are a Birdog owner, the file you get from the Birdog people for finding and aligning the 129 satellite for White Springs? Doesn't work.
I assume it is still telling your birdog to look for White Springs on the old channel and not the new one.

I contacted them and they gave me an editor program to make custom files for it.
So if I can learn how to edit my own satellite files I KNOW you guys can do it, y'all are way, way smarter than me in this stuff.

So if you need to find White Springs with your birdog you should contact them via email and ask for the editor, they will send it to you free and it's easy to learn and use.

Oh, that reminds me. On my folks place. What is the best way to figure out where to put their dish?
They have a two story house so putting it on the roof is not a good idea I don't think, and as many of you recommend against. Not with the hurricanes we get.
The only thing I am concerned about is there is a tall house next door to them that could be a problem.

fline1.gif

If you can wait 3 to 4 weeks, the sun will be very close to tracking the satellite arc. For you I think you can use any day beginning from the last week in September to the bigginning of the third week of October. You can google "Sun outage calcultor" and use that to find the exact days and times of the day that the sun will be exactly lined up with each and every satellite for your area. All you need do is select fall outage for 2009, input your longitude and latitude coordinates and select the satellite you want to check. Then go out in the yard near that time of the day on the specified dates (think they list a week of dates) but works a week or two either side of the days listed. Then when you look at the sun your actually looking directly at the satellite as well.

This trick is great to figure out if there is any obstrutions without setting up a dish. Then you just keep walking around the yard checking things out. I usally note times for all the satellites on a scrap of paper and spend one day checking things out when there are a lot of questionable trees in the area.

I used it at home for the two 76cm dishes on the garage roof where I wanted to make sure I could get signal from 129W but still get signal from 43W. It eneded up I had a ten foot long space along the roof line where this was possible and was able to install two motorized dish there.

I believe for your area arond the 4th of October is optimum.

From my iPhone again. Pardon the typos.

Great news!

I fixed the problem I was having with the tv's winking out when I turn the volume up!

I think a sound wire was plugged into the video thing on the box thing that sends to all the tv's in the house. The pc goes into it then a bunch of wires go out all over the place. A red one was plugged into a yellow one. Omg all the wires. Just crazy! A real nightmare. And getting behind there, omg. Never again. Anyway, problem seems to be gone now because I can watch tv all over the house now and turn it up as much as I want. Yay for me!!!!!

Ok, nite nite. More questions later. :)

Dee,

Do you know, what device type and model is used to distribute A/V Composite signal from your PC? Is it an A/V Signal Switcher (manual or remote controlled?) or a distro amplifier? I take it, your Coolsat 6000 is connected only to your main TV, hence you can't hear AC3 sound in other rooms?

As to the Tutorial I mentioned earlier, it's a lot more useful if you can see its pictures, as they illustrate things in depth.

Dee,

Do you know, what device type and model is used to distribute A/V Composite signal from your PC? Is it an A/V Signal Switcher (manual or remote controlled?) or a distro amplifier? I take it, your Coolsat 6000 is connected only to your main TV, hence you can't hear AC3 sound in other rooms?

As to the Tutorial I mentioned earlier, it's a lot more useful if you can see its pictures, as they illustrate things in depth.

I don't know anything about the gadget so I took a picture of it. That was not easy to get to it.. :( I don't like getting behind in all those wires. It's scary.

Oh yes, and the coolsat is only plugged into the computer, not the tv. I've never hooked up the sound yet and I viewed it through the computer, just playing with it, to figure it out before I do anything with it. I tried some blind scan stuff but that was about all. I'll get around to it eventually. Sort of low priority now that I finally got everything tuned in good and strong on the pc tuner.

Attachments

• IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 151
Some kind of splitter/amp.......on the C-section looks like a red audio cable plugged into the Video jack, and only one audio cable used, the white one. Got anything with audio coming only from half the speakers? lol, that is a jumble. Trace the red wire down , see where it goes. Might've been needed to send video over (not enough s-video cables maybe?).

Some kind of splitter/amp.......on the C-section looks like a red audio cable plugged into the Video jack, and only one audio cable used, the white one. Got anything with audio coming only from half the speakers? lol, that is a jumble. Trace the red wire down , see where it goes. Might've been needed to send video over (not enough s-video cables maybe?).

OMG... I am so tickled, I'm recording Little Audrey on White Springs! I haven't seen her since I was a little girl! :)

I wish I still had my Little Audrey comic books.. :(

Oh well.. Enjoy it while you can!

Ok, that box in the picture.
Well, I unplugged the red wire and the picture went out in the kitchen.
I unplugged the white wire and the sound went out in the kitchen.

All the wires on the bottom seem to go the the tv in my bedroom.

The goldish wire on top, I have no idea where it goes to.

Also, there is another box back there with a lot of wires that I don't know what it is. I mean I can't get to it easily to read any markings on it.
I think it makes the dvd (that I never use) and pc go to the tv's. I tried to take a picture of it but I couldn't hold that camera steady enough at the weird angle I had to be at, it came out blurry but I took a picture of the remote for it. It's a tiny little thing that I can hide in my hand.

The box is just another silver box with wires, lots of wires. There's some lights on it too, a red one and a few green ones that change when I press the remote.
I can't read a brand name on it or on the remote. There's nothing on the back of the remote either.

As things are now, everything seems to be working pretty darn good so I think I'll leave things be for now. The sound is working great on all the tv's at long last and the picture quit winking out when I turn the volume up. That was annoying.
There used to be a horrible buzzing sound in the speakers of the kitchen and bedroom tv's and that's gone now too.

I moved some wires around on that thing on the wall, I guess once again I got lucky.

I would just like to know one thing, why does all this have to be so complicated and messy? All these wires and boxes and crazy stuff. Why not make things simpler? And all the wires the same color. :mad: Now how dumb is that?
I mean really, come on now, color coded wires would be so much easier to understand and look so much nicer.

fline1.gif

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 163
I don't know anything about the gadget so I took a picture of it. That was not easy to get to it.. :( I don't like getting behind in all those wires. It's scary.

That's an audio/video distribution amp sold by Rat Shack. It takes an input signal (video and audio, yellow for video and red and white for right and left audio) and multiplies it for display on multiple TVs or VCRs.

Dee,

Based on the Remote's picture, the 2nd box is a Switch that collects signals from your sources like DVD Player, PC, etc. and directs a selected source's signals to an A/V Home Theater Receiver (HTR). It says "Digital", meaning Digital Sound might be one of these signals allowing AC3 sound to be played by your HTR. I doubt, it passes HDMI or DVI Video signals. What cables are connected to your HTR?

How did you use the channel info found by Coolsat 6000 Blind Scan that your PC Card couldn't find?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts