Recommendations?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DFC

Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas
I'm not a newbie to satellites--in fact the first dish I ever worked with was a 15-meter behemoth, back in the late '70's (I was very young, of course).

I've played a lot (and even worked some, too) with FTA receivers, but haven't done so in the last few years, so I'm a little out of touch with what-model-does-what-best. I'm looking for a suggestion from you guys with all the latest toys. :)

I need an FTA (DVB) receiver for audio reception only, but it has to be VERY good at blind search, specifically at searching (and finding) all audio PIDs on a DVB carrier. Video performance is trivial for this application.

Desired, but not deal-maker/breakers, are balanced audio outputs and rack mounting (standard 19" equipment rack).

Before anyone asks, I am NOT trying to hack or steal service--this is for backup to an existing proprietary system to which we have full legal rights. It's an unencrypted stream with a lot of audio services, and believe it or not one of them has had some personnel turnover and nobody there seems to know their PIDs anymore, or how to find them. The path of least resistance (for me to get this done and move on to the next thing on my list) is a good blind search.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

D.

The brands that get the most mention here are reasonably priced models but not rack-mount.
Traxis 3500 is one of the best at blind-scanning, Fortec Mercury 2 (now named the Dynamic) rates pretty close too. I'm working with a new receiver, the Icon S550 which also has a very sensitive,thorough blind scan. All these are less than 150 in most places, should do what you want as they all will scan and find tv and radio signals , and display the PIDS.

Or, you might send the particulars to the moderator, Iceberg, and he can let some of the guys with the best equipment break it down for you. :rolleyes:
I'm assuming this is a one-time problem.

and believe it or not one of them has had some personnel turnover and nobody there seems to know their PIDs anymore, or how to find them. The path of least resistance (for me to get this done and move on to the next thing on my list) is a good blind search.

did you look at lyngsat to see if the audio feed is listed ?

where ya at in arkansas ?

Check out the recently released GEOSATpro DSR-R100 Rack Mount Receiver. The DSR-R100 has excellent Blind Scan capabilities and features XLR Balanced Audio outputs, BNC and RCA AV.

dsrr100front.png

DSRR100rear.png

More Information: RACK MOUNT GEOSATPRO DSRR100 W/XLR & BNC
The unit is also available as the DSR-R100b with only RCA AV outputs.

The available Channel Editor program allows channels to be burned into the firmware Channel List. This is useful for situations where the end user might perform a factory default and erase the distributed preprogrammed channels.

GEOSATpro DSR-R100 w/XLR & BNC
Commercial Grade MPEG2 DVB Satellite Receiver

Stability, reliability and performance.

Finally a cost effective MPEG2 commercial rack mount receiver with EIA-608 closed caption support and professional XLR balanced audio and BNC video outputs! In case of power outage the receiver will auto reboot onto the last channel. If signal interruption occurs (I.E. uplink failure, rainfade, etc.), the DSR-R100 will resume outputting the service once signal returns.

Excellent picture quality and minimal artifacts. Engineers repeatedly comment on the exceptional resolution and clarity. Video adjustment control permits correction of picture set-up before insering into a closed distribution or cable system, broadcast application.

The DSR-R100 is the first commercial rack mount receiver to feature blind scan. Don't know the channel parameters? Simply select Blind Scan and the receiver will automatically log all available Radio and/or TV channels and program them into the receiver's channel list.

A PC based editor makes set-up easy. Set-up and channel information can be saved for easy duplication and burned into the firmware so it cannot be accidently erased by factory reset!

Features:
  • MPEG 2 & Fully DVB Compliant
  • Closed Captioning EIA-608 Compliant
  • Super low threshold
  • 130MHz Conexant 24301 high speed CPU
  • Wide Symbol Rate from 2 to 45MS/s & Frequency Input from 950 to 2150MHz
  • SCPC / MCPC Receivable from C / Ku Band Satellites
  • Digital Tuner with Loop Through Output
  • LNB Control : 22kHz, 13/18V
  • User-friendly OSD Menu with Full Function
  • 256 Colors Graphic User Interface
  • Multi-language OSD Menu
  • Variable Aspect Ratio 4:3 / 16:9
  • Advanced 7 days/24 hours EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
  • Blind search and NIT search support
  • Customized Default Channels Memory Data
  • Small Screen Picture on EPG and TV Channel List Graphic (P-in-P)
  • RS232 Interface for Software Upgrading via PC
  • NTSC/PAL/SECAM Auto/ Manual selection
  • Wide Range Switching Mode Power Supply (SMPS), 90 to 265VAC 50/60Hz
  • S/PDIF Optical Digital audio output
  • Balanced Audio Outputs - XLR x 2
  • Video Output - BNC x 2
  • Video, Audio L/ R & Mono Output - RCA
  • Front panel button lock and RCU lock
  • 19" EIA Rack Mountable
  • PC based Editor for Satellite, Transponder, Channel programming

Download - GEOSATpro DSR-R100 Series - Owners Manual

Last edited:
Well, with those functions the receiver wouldn't list MSRP at $165........ :rolleyes:

There is a strong market in the commercial market for reliable, cost effective MPEG 2 units with excellent PQ and expanded feature set. The DSR-R100 series project was launched after experiencing poor picture quality, frequent lock-ups and high failure rates on other mid price range commercial MPEG 2 units.

We will be installing approximately 15,000 DSR-R100b units over the next year for a North American Christian broadcaster. This project demanded a reliable unit that will provide great performance for many years in often less than ideal head end conditions. The DSR-R100 series meet these requirements.
To bad it don't do S2 and Mpeg 4.

Well, with those functions the receiver wouldn't list MSRP at $165........ :rolleyes:

There is a strong market in the commercial market for reliable, cost effective MPEG 2 units with excellent PQ and expanded feature set. The DSR-R100 series project was launched after experiencing poor picture quality, frequent lock-ups and high failure rates on other mid price range commercial MPEG 2 units.

We will be installing approximately 15,000 DSR-R100b units over the next year for a North American Christian broadcaster. This project demanded a reliable unit that will provide great performance for many years in often less than ideal head end conditions. The DSR-R100 series meet these requirements.

Brian, Don't get me wrong great unit but most of us here (well at least me) next receiver will need the newer codec's. Any chance in coming up with something with S2 and Mpeg 4 that can be around $200? That would sell like hotcakes. You have the in's with the companies maybe you can suggest it :up

I agree with your description of the requirements of "My Next STB". We are entering a transition period as broadcasters consider new formats. The DSR-R100 series was developed for the commercial market and has not been marketed to hobbyists. We suggest that the MPEG2 market will remain strong for many years, especially in the DTH segment. Broadcasters primarily targeting closed distribution are the leaders in MPEG4 transition.

A feature rich (happy hobbyist version) S2 / MPEG 2/4 STB with a MSRP under $200 is a ways off. Chipset development with mass production will address that over time.

Last edited:
A feature rich (happy hobbyist version) S2 / MPEG 2/4 STB with a MSRP under $200 is a ways off. Chipset development with mass production will address that over time.

Count me in to be first in line for one of those, thanks Brian. :)

Check out the recently released GEOSATpro DSR-R100 Rack Mount Receiver. The DSR-R100 has excellent Blind Scan capabilities and features XLR Balanced Audio outputs, BNC and RCA AV.

Good suggestion, Brian. I've been browsing low-end commercial receivers ($165 vs the $2K+ variety) and I've looked at the DSR-R100 a bit. It does look like an interesting option. If it lives up to the published specs, it coule be a real winner.

Since there's been some curiosity, I'll go ahead and share some details on what I've got going on. True, this is a one-time search thing, but I'd like to have a receiver available that can do a good blind search, anyway. More than once I've wished for one.

I'm Chief Engineer of a cluster of radio stations. One of our stations is a Christian talk format that carries a number of programs on the CRC DVB carrier on AMC3 (4043). We normally use a Wegener Unity 4000, but our U4K bit the dust last week and is back at Wegener for repair, with a 4-6 week wait.

We've worked out backup facilities for all but one of the channels we need. The missing link is one of the IRN/USA radio networks channels. The PID published on most of the FTA lists (261) as "IRN" is the USA-2 channel What I need is the USA-1 channel. (On the current U4K platform, identified as IU2).

USA has always done their best to keep their PIDs a closely guarded secret. Apparently they kept it TOO close, because at present there appears to be nobody left there who knows what they are. I know, it's hard to believe, but it's true.

So, I need to do a good blind search for all of the PIDs on that carrier. I've tried every published one, and none are the one I need. The lists appear to be a little out-of-date.

I could use a good FTA receiver around here, even after the ol' U4K returns, so I'm looking for the best option.

If one of you guys with good blind search capability wants to go PID hunting on AMC3, let me know. Could be a fun hunt. :)

D.

IU2 shows 5634 blind scan with one of my fta boxes. Not encrypted.
There's a ton of radio channels on the transponder, haha. Let me know if you need any more of them, wrote them down.

DFC
If your intrested , i can loan you one of my coolsats , so you can do some scanning on your own. my c-band system is currently down and its too wet to repair at least for another month.

i'm in south Arkansas , you can PM me here or email me at yahoo ( same user name as here)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Looking t get into FTA

where is my dish pointing to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)