Recommended LNB and receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dahlemann

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Midvale Utah
If this is posted in the wrong location, please move it to the correct location. :)

I have an 8 ft 1/16” mesh dish that is center focal point (hope that’s’ the correct terminology). The dish has been in a garage for years, and looks to be in excellent condition.

The lnb that was in it is a Cal amp from the 80’s dual c and Ku. It is heavily weather damaged and I doubt it is still functional.

The dish will be fixed on Anik F1R (107.3 W) for now. I may add an actuator late on as finances allow. The FTA HD programming on that satellite is what I’m interested in (specifically the CBC HD that is c band FTA).

The pole is perfectly plum. I checked all 4 sides.

There is direct Line of Site to this satellite. The footprint indicates should have no problem receiving the signals at my location.

I’d like any recommendations on receiver and lnb for this set up. I’m looking for both c band and Ku band reception.

The budget is very slim. I have about $150.00 to get both the lnb and the receiver. Already have all cables, switches, etc.

May also need a satellite signal finder. Any recommendations on that are appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

For the receiver, go for a GeoproSat Micro HD (I dont have one yet but the folks who do swear by it). As for the LNB, am using a BSC 621 ku/C lnb.. there might be better LNB options out there, but the low price I paid, am not complaining.

Cheers, K

PS- wish i had a 8 footer in the garage.

Recommend same receiver. A little cheaper through Sadoun or on eBay.
Not excited about dual band LNBFs, but if you get it aligned , there' s no argument it's cheap.

I might put a SatAV C2 on the BUD for C-band only & run a 36" dish for Ku.

Let's see it.(pictures) The feed horn and lnbs are probably usable with a little clean up. A 22Khz switch to select band. Power insert to supply a constant 18 to 20Volts to the LNB's.(Many old LNBs don't work so well with only 13 or 14 volts) I believe that polarity controller from rick will do this.
Personally think you'd get better Ku results with a dedicated Ku dish(36 to 39) inch, over any dual band LNBF. (Add it later?) There's a trade off in performance to operate on both bands. Peak one band, the other goes away. Maybe not completely. Think the polorizer you have probably works both bands better. (I got my motorized Ku motored by the BUD - attachment)
Then there's the tracking accuracy to take into account. Plus or minus 1/2° on C band and you'll probably still 'see' the C band signals. That same error on Ku may result in having nothing on Ku. A prime focus BUD's beamwidth is reduced when operating at Ku compared to C.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 123
The feedhorn and LNBs you already have will work with a little help. The new receivers don't have a Polarazation control so you can add one.
http://www.gofastmotorsports.com/apc1.htm

I was going to say this also , your current lnb setup might still work it would save a few dollars for now if you don't use a control like mentioned above you would only be able to receive one side ( vertical or horizontal) i don't know what is FTA for CBC on that satellite (looks like HD on the sat is dvb-s2 & on the horizontal side) so it might work :)

this would allow c band only and one side so adding the rest later just looking at all options....

and :welcome to Satellite Guys :)

I have the BSC 621 LNBF and I am happy with it.
Fist when I started I had a 7 1/2 foot dish and at the KU side it was lacking.
But I am somewhat happy with my 10 foot dish that I recently set up.
My stationary KU dish network dish get's about 200 channels on 97w. The 7 1/2 foot got me about about 90 channels and my 10 foot dish gets me 195 channels on 97w but between the H and V channels I have to move it 1 click. To note here, that I have not finished to fine-tune the LNBF yet.
On both dishes I do not/did not have any problems with the c-band side.
I lost 1 LNBF BSC621 already when I lost power for 1 second while I was scanning.
Also there are no F/D markings on that BCS621 LNBF which would it make easier to adjust if those markings would be there.
What I have been reading and researching, the micro hd is the way to go for the money it costs.
I plan to get a 36-39 inch dish and motor this spring for my KU reception which would perform better.

Lots to think about! I'll try and get pictures in the next day or two. Thanks for all the great responses.

Last edited:
The lnb cleaned up very nicely! It is a dual polarity (not dual band) c band lnb with no servo.

There is a red light on it. Is that a signal strength indicator? I looked at it this morning on my way to work. I'll get the brand etc and try to get pictures tonight.

Thanks again for all the info.

i think the red light just means its getting power if it,s like i think it is it will work nicely :) until you decide other options :)

i was trying to think of my old one i think it had one little white wire and red light but it would switch without wire connected with todays fta receivers. i think it was a Cal-Amp C-band lnbf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)