"Reconditioned" DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inquisitive1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
I had the R15 500 DVR for about a year and a half. I've had problems with it on several occasions, so a DTV CSR said she'd have a new one sent to me. I called today to see where my order was and was told it was still processing. The "new" DVR arrived at my house later that day. I'm not sure how they messed that up, but anyway...

On the bottom of the new receiver, there's a lovely sticker that says "Reconditioned." I called DTV and was told that they only send out refurbished models as replacements. There is no way to get a new DVR from DTV no matter how much trouble I have with all of the "reconditioned" DVRs that they send me. First of all, is that statement true?

Second, my old unit was the R15 500 and the new, ha, unit is an R15 300. Better, worse, or the same?

I just wondered if anyone had words of wisdom for me. I pay for their protection plan, so I find it highly offensive that they sent me a reconditioned unit, as if that should make me happy. It doesn't.

It's true, unless they run out of reconditioned units :)

Same 500 vs 300, just a different manufacturer.

They are all leased units anyway, if it fails they have to replace it, don't sweat it.

Thanks for the welcome.

I know that DTV will have to replace this unit if it won't work properly, but I will be very irritated if I'm watching a show that I've recorded and in the middle of it that dreaded blue screen comes on with "Yes, delete" and "No, don't delete." It did that to me when I recorded the series finale of Lost. Luckily, ABC had that online by then because I couldn't get past that point in the show on the DVR. That happened more than once, unfortunately, so I'd finally had enough. I was expecting a new DVR. My definition and DTVs definition of "new" are not the same. However, I specifically asked if I was getting a new replacement or a refurbished one and was told by two different people that this was a new unit. I think that's what bothers me the most.

At one point in the conversation today, I said to the CSR, "So you're telling me that I'm stuck with this thing that didn't work before and had to be fixed and will probably blow up on me." His response, "Correct." Nice, huh?

Thanks for the welcome.

I know that DTV will have to replace this unit if it won't work properly, but I will be very irritated if I'm watching a show that I've recorded and in the middle of it that dreaded blue screen comes on with "Yes, delete" and "No, don't delete." It did that to me when I recorded the series finale of Lost. Luckily, ABC had that online by then because I couldn't get past that point in the show on the DVR. That happened more than once, unfortunately, so I'd finally had enough. I was expecting a new DVR. My definition and DTVs definition of "new" are not the same. However, I specifically asked if I was getting a new replacement or a refurbished one and was told by two different people that this was a new unit. I think that's what bothers me the most.

At one point in the conversation today, I said to the CSR, "So you're telling me that I'm stuck with this thing that didn't work before and had to be fixed and will probably blow up on me." His response, "Correct." Nice, huh?

Most of the refurb unit have been refurbed, that doesn't man it doesn't work or wont work.

Give it a try and see how it works, why didn't you go for the upgraded model and get a HR20 ?
btw, what does the date on the sticker say ?

Jimbo

My daughter got a new R15-500 after awhile it quit working.D* sent her a R15-300 refurb.It works just fine and my daughter says it's quieter than the 500(it's in the bedroom).;)

To me the great thing about leasing is when it quits working you get another
provided by D*.If they have refurbs you will get one of those first,but if it doesn't work they will keep sending one until it does work.Also unless you have the protection plan D* can charge you S&H,with the PP it's Free.To me it
sure beats buying a IRD and if it takes a crap in 90 days to 1 year you don't have to go out and buy another one.:cool:

P.S. Unless you want to pay for and receive the HD channels you don't need an HR20.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
i had a customer fly off the handle once because i didn't have a refurb r15 and had to replace his dvr with a genuine new r15 because the csr told him that the new unit comes with a new two year programing cotract.

Don't worry about using a refurb. I've never had a problem with one and have been using them for years. I bought a refurbed computer about 4 years ago. still going strong. Have received refurbs from D* before and when I had cable refurbs were all that they used.

Wait! I have the protection plan and I still had to pay $19.95 plus tax for the S/H. If D* has to send me a new one every year because as the CSR told me, "These products won't last forever," then that's going to get quite expensive for me. I agreed with him that I didn't expect it to last forever, but it didn't even get me through my two-year contract.

I do have a new HD TV, but I don't want to pay the extra $10 a month for the programming, at least not right now.

The date on the bottom says 10/7/05.

When I send the old unit back, do I have to send the remote and all the cables with it? I was sent a new remote, new phone cord, new A/V cables, etc. There are no clear directions on that.

It also has a new access card. I send my old one back with the old unit and use the new one?

I'll have to do all this tomorrow since there's a game I want to watch tonight. The directions look, um, well, I've never set my own stuff up before. I don't want to be without TV tonight.

Wait! I have the protection plan and I still had to pay $19.95 plus tax for the S/H. If D* has to send me a new one every year because as the CSR told me, "These products won't last forever," then that's going to get quite expensive for me. I agreed with him that I didn't expect it to last forever, but it didn't even get me through my two-year contract.

I do have a new HD TV, but I don't want to pay the extra $10 a month for the programming, at least not right now.

When I send the old unit back, do I have to send the remote and all the cables with it? I was sent a new remote, new phone cord, new A/V cables, etc. There are no clear directions on that.

It also has a new access card. I send my old one back with the old unit and use the new one?

I'll have to do all this tomorrow since there's a game I want to watch tonight. The directions look, um, well, I've never set my own stuff up before. I don't want to be without TV tonight.

My understanding is the protection plan exempts you from paying for shipping. You don't have to send the remote or cables back unless they ask for them. They have never asked me for them, and I have had to return several boxes. Ask them about the card. They will likely want the old one back.

Your R15 might be an "owned " unit that might explain the S&H.I would still call D* and ask why?.:confused:

When D* sends you a return box there should be instructions in the box.The
normal return has been the DVR/Power Cord/Remote Control.;)

Yes use the new card.You will need to call Directv to have it authorized.;)

There are connection setups in the R15 Owner's Manual.;)

Now I understand that if I activate the new DVR then I'm locked in to another 2-year agreement with them. Is that true? My first contract hasn't run out yet, and this is a bunch of garbage if every time they have to send a DVR because one is broken that you're suckered into another 2 years with them.

Now I understand that if I activate the new DVR then I'm locked in to another 2-year agreement with them. Is that true? My first contract hasn't run out yet, and this is a bunch of garbage if every time they have to send a DVR because one is broken that you're suckered into another 2 years with them.

If you have the protection plan you DO NOT PAY shiping call them and make then give you a credit.

When you swap a unit because of a problem it DOES NOT restart the 2 year agreement. You are not activating a new receiver it is a replacement weather it is new or a refurb.

Keep everything but the receiver. That is all they want back.

When you swap a unit because of a problem it DOES NOT restart the 2 year agreement. You are not activating a new receiver it is a replacement weather it is new or a refurb.

Do you have a source for this, or is this just what you believe? On every service call I roll to that I have to swap out a receiver, D* makes me have the customer sign the lease agreement to extend their contract. I should add that this changed in the past 6 months, since it used to be the way you described.

I got conflicting reports from the D* CSRs. Last night I finally got through to someone and when we activated my new card (he said that was the only way to tell if it would happen), it did not show up that I had another new contract. His manager told him that if I had to extend the contract it would show up in the notes from my previous call where they said they were sending me a "new" DVR. I am going to call back today to make sure I did not add 2 years to a contract that ends in 6 months.

As far as all this goes, a few years ago D* sent me a letter telling me that I could no longer keep my service with them. I had to go through a second party if I wanted to continue with service. I was confused, and apparently so was D* because they kept calling me to ask why I dropped my service. I never have. I explained the situation to them and they didn't know why I had received that letter. Everyone in my county did.

Anyway, I go through this second party for everything now because I was told I have to do so. I pay them the money for the PP, so D* can't actually see that I do so. This second party company is the one that I call when I need repair and they come at no charge. I called them about the DVR and they are the ones who said that D* ties their hands and when a new receiver is shipped, the customer always finds that they have a new contract. They also said that even though I owned the DVR, not leased it, D* would still make me send it back. I asked them about the shipping and they said that the first time might be understandable, but if I have to have "new" DVRs again, I should dispute those charges. All of this because of that lovely letter from D*. Maybe someone can explain all of this to me.

Do you have a source for this, or is this just what you believe? On every service call I roll to that I have to swap out a receiver, D* makes me have the customer sign the lease agreement to extend their contract. I should add that this changed in the past 6 months, since it used to be the way you described.

I never had anyone come and replace a receiver it was always shipped and I installed and activated it. It Never extended my contract. I have 5 receivers and only the 3 HR20 DVR's are under contract. I just had a Samsung TIVO die on me call PP and they shipped a R15 that is now listed as owned with no contract on my account.

Update: When I turn on the unit the remote won't work for about 5 minutes. The TV parts of the remote work (volume, TV channel), but I can't change the channel on the receiver. I have to use the keys on the front of it. Any reason why I can't get the remote to work at all right away? And I've tried this with 2 remotes with the same results. :(

Update: When I turn on the unit the remote won't work for about 5 minutes. The TV parts of the remote work (volume, TV channel), but I can't change the channel on the receiver. I have to use the keys on the front of it. Any reason why I can't get the remote to work at all right away? And I've tried this with 2 remotes with the same results. :(

Make sure that the slide switch on the top of the remote is on the D* logo on the left. Now try the remote.

If the remote still won't respond, press and hold "Mute" and "Select" until the light above the slide switch flashes twice. Enter the following code 00001 and the light above the slide switch should flash 3 times. Try the remote now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts