Record/Buffer Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcowboy7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Pequannock, NJ
Here is the scenario:

- i want to watch a show and tape it as well.
- i put on channel 2 at 9:57.
- at 10:00 the show comes on so i hit the orange record button on the remote to start taping the show on the dvr.
- at 11:00 i hit stop.
- now when i go to play it back the recording starts playing from the 9:57 time mark, because thats when i put the channel on so thats whats in the buffer....so then obviously it doesnt start playing it at the 10:00 time mark from when i hit the record button.

My question is then:
- is there any way to have the dvr start taping exactly when i hit record and not get that extra 3 minutes of buffer stuff ?
- now i know i could do a manual record at 10:00 or tune in the channel at 10:00 but im trying not to do it that way.

so is there way to do this or due to the buffer it just doesnt work that way ?

thanks.

As you have discovered, I believe any time you press the record button, it records whatever is in the buffer. If you bring up the guide and press the record button while the program is highlighted, I believe it will record only the program - with whatever default padding you have set up.

As you have discovered, I believe any time you press the record button, it records whatever is in the buffer. If you bring up the guide and press the record button while the program is highlighted, I believe it will record only the program - with whatever default padding you have set up.

yea but that way:
- if the show is listed as 9:00 but starts late like 9:01 u still get that 1st minute of non show.
- if the show ends later than listed u lose the last minutes.

im trying to not let the clock control the recording....im trying to control start/stop myself.

There is a little "goofyness" in how this works.

Here is what I have seen and keep in mind this is what how my reciever has worked and not a explaintion of the firmware, 'cause I have no idea what it does.

Occasionally, like the OP, I'll hit record after changing to the channel and get the first few minutes of the buffer even though it's from the previous show(don't see this too much).

If I had waited for fifteen or twenty minutes into the show to hit record it would only record time slot and not the buffer.

If I had been on that channel for a while when the show started and then I hit record, I got the time slot and not the buffer.

My guess...When I change to that channel close to the next shows time slot and then hit record at the begining of the that time slot it will get the whole buffer because it's too "short" and ensures you get your show.

Hey, it's a theory...:)

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts