Recorded nothing but silence

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

willh3

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
Anyone else have this problem this morning when trying to record Howard Stern?

Me too. I give up.

Software says i have good signal strength (the usual 33% stuff) but silence. If I jiggle the antenna around i sporadically get sound for awhile. Possibly a bad antenna. I dunno. I give up.

Now that they stream stern, I am (starting today) doing the following:

1) launch a browser, go to sirius.com, start stern streaming.
2) use replay a/v to do a "what u hear" recording scheduled at the appropriate time (we'll see if it works; my testing looked good).

Reasons for this:
1) tt makes us stay connected to the internet (for some goofy reason), anyway, so no advantage for tt there
2) tt won't record unless it is running (i.e.: it doesn't go away and just launch itself at the appropriate time.) no advantage for tt there.
3) tt crashes my machine fairly regularly. Sometimes it records silence (even giving it the benefit of the doubt and blaming my hardware, it's still annoying). Often i get random reboots, other times BSOD's. Sometimes just freezes. Sometimes it crashes and leaves the radio running.
4) right now, because sirius added the thing where you have to type in a code, replay a/v cannot record the stream silently; you have to "listen" to what you are recording. TT has the same requirement anyway. And i spoke to replay and they are looking at a fix to allow direct-stream capture for sirius again.
5) tt is dangerous on my dual-core athlon x2 machine, causing severe low-level resets that actually cause my system to make popping/cracking sounds.
6) even if i prefer to use an external sirius radio, i can do so with replay a/v.

The downside of replay a/v seems to be less flexibility in choosing bitrates for the recordings. I am trying 128 and i may LAME it down to something more manageable.

I only tried a 1-minute recording so far, so we'll see if this setup works for a 5+ hour recording (i'll know in about 2.5 hours :)

Did this start for you guys last week or so? That's when I began having the dead air problem.

cmaier said:
Did this start for you guys last week or so? That's when I began having the dead air problem.

Nope, just started today.

Actually it happened to me one other time a couple of months ago also.

I noticed this too. Something has changed in the broadcasts (either the audio or the data) that is causing this. I had no problems recording other stations so I'm a bit baffled myself.

I'm not a techie, but I'm all over this one. As soon as I get some info I'll pass it along here and I hope we get a patch out ASAP.

David K.

It just happened during the morning broadcast, I was able to record the afternoon show with no problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts