Recording a series - how to specify which shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rugbyqueen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Houston, TX
Just got my DirecTV installed today. I've been trying to set up some of my recordings. A few of the shows I want to record air again multiple times throughout the next day or week. On Uverse (my former TV provider) I could record a series but specify that it record "on or about [X time]". That way it would record a repeat of the original show that aired at, say 3:00 a.m. and not 9:00 p.m. That allowed me to avoid conflicts with other things recording.

I have hunted around the DirecTV DVR system and I can't seem to find anything similar. If I set it up to record a series it allows me to record First Run or Repeats or Both, but I can't seem to specify "Tuesdays at 2:00 a.m." for a series that airs many times throughout the week.

If I say First Run, then it wants to record the one showing at, say Monday at 7:00 p.m., which is the first showing of the show. But I don't want it to record that one because it conflicts with other things. I want it to record one of the repeats that runs in the middle of the night when it doesn't conflict with anything else recording. If I say Repeats than it records all the shows, which can be a whole bunch of them.

How can I do this? Can I specify WHICH showing of a show I want to record? I want to record the whole series, but I want to record each episode only once and I want to tell it at what time to record (i.e., 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday instead of 9:00 p.m. on Monday).

Thanks.

you cant tell it WHICH episode to record but in the series manager put the ones you want to record as priority 1st.

Monday's are my big day with 4 or 5 things to record. I have the ones that I know there are no reruns during the week (2 1/2 men & rasslin) as priority 1 & 2. ( I have all my series shows set up priority by day so MOnday, then Tuesday etc) The shows on a couple times on Monday (the 1st run at say 8 and the west coast "new" at 11) are priority 3 & 4. 1 & 2 take priority and will record 1st. The others it will find the next "new" showing (if possible) and record them.
2 1/2 men at 8
rasslin at 8
Pawn Stars at 11
All Worked Up at 11
Set it up for "new episodes".
Now a word of note...if you look in the recordings later and see a "wont record" at the conflict time and no other showings set to record, dont panic. Once the time passes of that showing the DVR will find the next showing

Thanks for replying. That seems kind of convoluted. What if I want to record one show but have the other -- I don't know what you call it, signal? line? whatever allows you to watch/record two shows at once - available for channel surfing? If I set up the series to record "First Run" then it wants to record two shows at, say, 8:00 p.m. But I don't want to record two shows at 8:00 p.m. I want to record one show and just surf around with the other available line/signal/whatever. Can I tell it to cancel the 8:00 p.m. showing and it'll record another showing of that show later?

I share the TV with my family and if someone else wants to watch live TV, but we've got two shows set to record, they're not going to know if they can cancel a recording or not unless whoever set up that recording is there to tell them. I'm kind of surprised DirecTV doesn't allow you to record "This show every night at 11:00 p.m." or whatever. Uverse does and I thought Dish did when we had that two years ago. Hmmm....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)