Recording back to back shows on same tuner??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
LOL.
That's the problem when trying to explain it. Many people just don't properly understand the issue to begin with. Then they start talking about "tuner 1" and "tuner 2" or "check your settings", which just further illustrates their lack of understanding concerning this issue.

Not sure who you are lecturing about not understanding the problem, but here is what the ORIGINAL POSTER asked;
"How come when I am recording back to back shows on the same channel the DVR records one on Tuner 1 and one on Tuner 2. I thought previously it was smart enough to use the same tuner since it is the same channel."

I therefore answered, about two tuners, and how my receiver works doing exactly what he asked, staying on one tuner. What didn't I (or others perhaps) not understand?

Last edited:
My wife wants to record Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.

What I did was set up a manual timer for Thursday from 6:57 PM to 10:05 PM on local ABC channel.

Maybe it is something Dish can work on fixing, but it can be overcome.

My wife wants to record Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.

What I did was set up a manual timer for Thursday from 6:57 PM to 10:05 PM on local ABC channel.

Maybe it is something Dish can work on fixing, but it can be overcome.

Why set a manual timer. Just set a repeating timer for each show with 0/0 early/late. That way she can watch each show independently. You can overide the defaults.

Not sure who you are lecturing about not understanding the problem...

If you'll go ahead & read the linked thread, you'll probably understand what we were talking about & how it would be a solution to single & dual tuners alike. You may also understand how bringing up "dual tuners" in that thread shows a misunderstanding of the issue (even if dual tuners & the OP of this thread would benefit from the solution).

...I therefore answered, about two tuners, and how my receiver works doing exactly what he asked, staying on one tuner. What didn't I (or others perhaps) not understand?

Your answer in "this thread" was appropriate, and I'm sorry if you thought what I posted was referring to your post... it wasn't. Nor was I "lecturing" anyone from the other thread.

I was merely pointing out how hard it can be to get people to understand the issue in the first place, which is evidenced by talk of multi tuners & default settings while discussing the other (but related) issue. Those lines of discussion are solutions... but to a different, although similar, issue.

The real solution can only be provided by the people who program the firmware for the receivers. Everything else is just a work-around. If there's any frustration involved, it's due to a lack of interest on the part of Dish, not the members here that are just trying to help.

Cheers

VIP722. As long as the start and stop is set to the exact time the shows will record on same channel. What does happen, and this not a dish issue, is if the first show doesn't end at exactly the time in the guide, you will need to watch the beginning of the next show to see the end.
This happened with Parenthood last night. It should have ended at 11. Dvr stopped recording at 11 but the show still had 2-3 minutes before it was done.
This would be a network issue as opposed to dish.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

...Dvr stopped recording at 11 but the show still had 2-3 minutes before it was done.
This would be a network issue as opposed to dish.

Yep, that's how the 211k works as well.

You're right about the 3 minute runover being a network issue. But the fact that our receivers can't simultaneously record the same channel in two different recordings (using a single tuner) to make up for it is a Dish problem. A problem which DirecTV receivers & HTPCs don't have.

Cheers

I noticed on the 722k if I change start early to zero on the second program that would have overlapped, it will stay on the same tuner even though the previous program is set to run an additional couple of minutes.

This is about priorities in your timer schedule. I can assure you if you deleted all your timers and set up all new ones they would use the same tuner. Say you wanted to record everything for one day on one station, if there were no other timers set it would use the same tuner all day long by default. After that if you wanted to record stuff on other stations it would use the other tuners for the rest because the first would have the priority. I know how this works. I record everything I watch so I can FF threw commercials. I just checked and I have 87 timers set up on my DVR and because I have properly dealt with priorities the ones that are back to back on the same channel use the same tuner. So for example Two and a Half Men follows How I Met You Mother. Now sometimes I may have to start "Men" to see the closing credits of "How" but everything is there.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but "DISH Record Plus" is what affects the tuners. MENU - 8 - 5. Well, at least if you don't want tuner 2 being used at all, disabling this functionality will fix the issue. If you want tuner 2 to be used for other channels, than I don't guess this will help any even with back-to-back recordings on the same channel.

As for the "hard cuts" thing. If you have Record Plus disabled on the dual-tuners, or have the 211/211K/411, then it WILL "hard cut" back-to-back recordings even if they are on the same channel and padding is set properly. It is VERY annoying.

Anony55 said:
Yep, that's how the 211k works as well.

You're right about the 3 minute runover being a network issue. But the fact that our receivers can't simultaneously record the same channel in two different recordings (using a single tuner) to make up for it is a Dish problem. A problem which DirecTV receivers & HTPCs don't have.

Cheers

The other side is that programming should begin and end on time and all providers and networks should have to use the same ntp server to ensure accuracy. It is totally ridiculous to have to pad a timer to be sure that the beginning and the end of a show r recorded.
The back to back issue can be resolved by setting a manual timer, maybe not ideal but it works.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

As for the "hard cuts" thing. If you have Record Plus disabled on the dual-tuners, or have the 211/211K/411, then it WILL "hard cut" back-to-back recordings even if they are on the same channel and padding is set properly. It is VERY annoying.
I agree. I found a work around at least for tonight. Record one show from OTA and the next show from satellite (both are on same network). But I have the luxury of this being the "back up" system (211 with welcome pack)

The other side is that programming should begin and end on time and all providers and networks should have to use the same ntp server to ensure accuracy. It is totally ridiculous to have to pad a timer to be sure that the beginning and the end of a show r recorded.
The back to back issue can be resolved by setting a manual timer, maybe not ideal but it works.

Way oversimplification of the problem. The 622 (dual tuner), 508(single tuner) and 501(single tuner) all do the back to back recordings of a channel correctly. The newer series appear to do it incorrectly. It seems the development team on the software for the earlier receivers was missing the guy that understood what needed to be done. My guess is that with the older receivers, the switch time (time needed to stop writing to one file, create a new file, and start writing to it) was excessive, so they started the process they have (1st recording ends slightly past the end, 2nd recording stars slightly early). For whatever reason they thought with the newer receivers that the switch time was fast enough they didn't need to do that. They were wrong.

I have owned a 625, and now a 722. Both have always been in Dual Mode, and the Record Plus setting has TV2 as the preference. All of my recordings are buffered 2 minutes early and 2 minutes late. I never get back to back shows to record on the same tuner, they always switch from tuner2 to tuner1. Could the difference in behavior be based on whether the receiver is in Single mode vs. Dual mode?

The issue is unrelated to any setting on the timer. in fact, the default setting for all 722K recordings appear to be Start 1 minute early, end 3 Minutes late.

Want to see this on yours? Set up a hour long recording on one channel, and two 1/2 hour recordings, back to back, starting at the same time on another channel. (sat, not OTA). Bang, those two 1/2 shows will be recorded on one receiver and will show the issue on a 722k.

On my 622, right now today, and my past 508, when recording two shows back to back on the same tuner, the first recording will have a small part of the second show, and the second show recording will have started into the end of the first show. This is a function of the software on the device.

The lack of this behavior on the 722, is again, a function of the software on the device. Dish should be able to fix it.

The issue is unrelated to any setting on the timer. in fact, the default setting for all 722K recordings appear to be Start 1 minute early, end 3 Minutes late.

Want to see this on yours? Set up a hour long recording on one channel, and two 1/2 hour recordings, back to back, starting at the same time on another channel. (sat, not OTA). Bang, those two 1/2 shows will be recorded on one receiver and will show the issue on a 722k.
Must be only the 722k then, as my 722(no-k) in that scenario would only record 2 of the 3 timers, and skip by priority the 3rd. if the hour-long timer is lower priority, then the 2 back to back timers will record with overlaps, one on TV2, and then the other on TV1. It will switch timers to properly record the overlaps. My 625 did the same thing.

On my 622, right now today, and my past 508, when recording two shows back to back on the same tuner, the first recording will have a small part of the second show, and the second show recording will have started into the end of the first show. This is a function of the software on the device.

The lack of this behavior on the 722, is again, a function of the software on the device. Dish should be able to fix it.
Again, must only be the 722k, as my 722 still does this properly, as did my previous 625.

The issue is unrelated to any setting on the timer...
I understand what you're saying, and also wish Dish would fix it. But setting start early to zero will indeed keep it from switching tuners for back to back shows on the 722k. I'm not saying it works correctly, only that it can be worked around by changing timer settings.

:DLets see uhmm timer 1, late, uhmm timer 2 uhumnmm early, TV1 other room, timer ota 1 early, uhmmm timer 3 ? lets see did we uhmmm get that right uhmmm-
Cat! RT- get away from the cat food and get in here and fix this blasted timer problem!
:rolleyes:

Necro'ing this thread because I just discovered this issue. While watching recordings of The Biggest Loser followed by the Voice on Tuesday (both NBC) , my wife was upset that the the "scenes from next week" at the end of Biggest Loser were cut off early. I expected them to be at the beginning of the Voice recording, but alas, that recording started right off with the opening for the Voice.

Now, my workaround is to futz with the timers to force Biggest Loser to record an extra 2 minutes, but in doing so this forces The Voice to record on TV1 instead of TV2. Not a huge deal but it is inconvenient and unnecessary.

We're going to have a much bigger problem on Thursdays, when the wife records Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice (both ABC) and I record Awake (NBC) at the same time as Private Practice. There is going to be no way at all to extend the recording of Grey's Anatomy, and if it doesn't pick up the preview of next week I'm going to hear about it.

So I need to either go out and buy an OTA antenna, which I'd rather not do (but I'll take recommendations), or Dish needs to fix it so 1 tuner can record more than one thing on the same channel. This is obviously quite possible - DirecTV even defaults to picking up a small buffer on either end of its recordings. Isn't there anything Dish can do to fix this? The Dual Mode setup is limiting enough without this issue. I love saving the money, but come on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts