Recording question

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
I installed my 500 GB into my Ultra and formatted it.
While watching a program I pressed the REC button and the box appeared and it showed a red dot on bottom of it and at the right the time the recording was doing.
I recorded for 3 minutes.
Problem is, when I tried to play what I recorded, I get a "Not Supported" error.
Why is this?
Is there a step I am missing?
Thanks!

Never mind! It's one of those "learn as you go" type situation. :p
Wow, the playback on what I recorded is GREAT!!! :D
However, I notice that the HDD is really hot to the touch.
Is it suppose to be hot?

Never mind! It's one of those "learn as you go" type situation. :p
Wow, the playback on what I recorded is GREAT!!! :D
However, I notice that the HDD is really hot to the touch.
Is it suppose to be hot?

I've noticed this problem also. I've noticed that the channels list slows way down after a few hours of on time also. Looks like ventilation is an issue. I don't know if one of those laptop fans will help.

I was wondering what results you got on high bit rate programs. I get a lot of A/V "stutter".

Never mind! It's one of those "learn as you go" type situation. :p Wow, the playback on what I recorded is GREAT!!! :D
However, I notice that the HDD is really hot to the touch. Is it suppose to be hot?

I've noticed this problem also. I've noticed that the channels list slows way down after a few hours of on time also. Looks like ventilation is an issue. I don't know if one of those laptop fans will help.

I was wondering what results you got on high bit rate programs. I get a lot of A/V "stutter".

MrFTAMan and JohnnyNobody (and all others who read this),

Regarding the heat build up within your unit from the HDD, I sincerely recommend that you try to use the Samsung "Eco-Friendly" or "green" hard disk drives to avoid this. These drives demand low current to operate and they don't produce too much heat.

My AZBox Premium Plus has a cover over the HDD bay that doesn't even have any ventilation slits and after running all day, it is only a few degrees warmer than my Coolsat box which has been sitting unplugged for several days. I can tell the difference in temperature with my hand, but just barely.

These "eco-friendly" Samsung drives are absolutely just perfect for the AZBox's. They are perfectly compatible and don't produce the heat or draw the excessive power from your AZBox's power supply like other HDD's do. Also, they operate extremely quietly, I have to actually put my ear right up to the case of the AZBox to hear if it is running or not. These drives are not any more expensive than any other HDD out there for their capacity size. Price-wise, they are about middle of the road.

Here is the model # for the one I have installed currently (it is a 1 TB HDD):

Samsung HD103SI (p/n 61823-B741-B25GG) 1000GB/R54/32M

I have found something really worthwhile here, and I wish you to be informed of it because I believe this is the best (internally mounted) HDD for the AZBox.

RADAR

What's the price range on these HDDs?

MrFTAMan,

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday! I certainly don't remember the price I paid for these drives (precisely) from 6-12 months ago.

But, I do remember that they were competively priced. Either the same as any other drive or just slightly less than most and a bit more than than the ones that you wouldn't want to buy.

How does about $75 - $85 sound for a 1 TB drive? I think it was in that range. Of course, I did a bit of shopping for the best sale.

RADAR

MrFTAMan and JohnnyNobody (and all others who read this),

Regarding the heat build up within your unit from the HDD, I sincerely recommend that you try to use the Samsung "Eco-Friendly" or "green" hard disk drives to avoid this. These drives demand low current to operate and they don't produce too much heat.

My AZBox Premium Plus has a cover over the HDD bay that doesn't even have any ventilation slits and after running all day, it is only a few degrees warmer than my Coolsat box which has been sitting unplugged for several days. I can tell the difference in temperature with my hand, but just barely.

These "eco-friendly" Samsung drives are absolutely just perfect for the AZBox's. They are perfectly compatible and don't produce the heat or draw the excessive power from your AZBox's power supply like other HDD's do. Also, they operate extremely quietly, I have to actually put my ear right up to the case of the AZBox to hear if it is running or not. These drives are not any more expensive than any other HDD out there for their capacity size. Price-wise, they are about middle of the road.

Here is the model # for the one I have installed currently (it is a 1 TB HDD):

Samsung HD103SI (p/n 61823-B741-B25GG) 1000GB/R54/32M

I have found something really worthwhile here, and I wish you to be informed of it because I believe this is the best (internally mounted) HDD for the AZBox.

RADAR

Radar the only Canadian Distributer (there are none here in Winnipeg, Manitoba) I know of for the Samsung HDD are in Toronto, Ontario and they only carry the "Samsung HD-153W1 1.5 TB EcoGreen F3 HD for $106.99 plus shipping to Manitoba. The local Computer Store dealers were trying to tell me that Western Digital also has Green Hard Drives - but I think some of the AZBox users have had some problems with WD Hd's. Do you know if this 1.5 TB Samsung Ecogreen Hard Drive will work in the Premium Plus? Also I'm guessing that we have to purchase the SATA and Power Supply Cables for connecting up the Hard Drive to the AZBox?

Radar the only Canadian Distributer (there are none here in Winnipeg, Manitoba) I know of for the Samsung HDD are in Toronto, Ontario and they only carry the "Samsung HD-153W1 1.5 TB EcoGreen F3 HD for $106.99 plus shipping to Manitoba. The local Computer Store dealers were trying to tell me that Western Digital also has Green Hard Drives - but I think some of the AZBox users have had some problems with WD Hd's. Do you know if this 1.5 TB Samsung Ecogreen Hard Drive will work in the Premium Plus? Also I'm guessing that we have to purchase the SATA and Power Supply Cables for connecting up the Hard Drive to the AZBox?

Jsattv,

Yes, I have heard complaints regarding the WD HDDs and I can not confirm nor deny that there is any real problems with them as I have no personal "hands-on" experience with them. I am only taking the reports at face value and with my own brand of skepticism.

After trying my hand at a few varieties of HDDs and finding that the Samsung Eco-friendly (green) HDDs worked flawlessly for me, I just decided to stick with them.

$106 sounds a bit more than what I got mine for, but then again, you are quoting the price of a 1.5 TB drive and I was talking of the 500 GB - 1 TB size, so there will be a little difference.

I would like to recommend that you not use a larger HDD than 1.0 TB as I have read that anything larger was not supposed to be compatible. It might be more akin to "we don't guarantee the results", opposed to "it won't work". But, I have read this on the official AZBox site as well as others. I don't know how correct this really is, but I personally adhere to it "just to be safe".

A 1 TB HDD will grant you with plenty of space. I have over 120 movies transferred from DVDs and a few audio CDs and lots of pictures and quite a few recordings from the satellites on my 1 TB HDD and it is only now getting to the 60% full mark.

I hope you can utilize my personal knowledge and experience to help make your ultimate final decision. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck and hope you will report back with your own findings.

RADAR

MrFTAMan,

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday! I certainly don't remember the price I paid for these drives (precisely) from 6-12 months ago.

But, I do remember that they were competively priced. Either the same as any other drive or just slightly less than most and a bit more than than the ones that you wouldn't want to buy.

How does about $75 - $85 sound for a 1 TB drive? I think it was in that range. Of course, I did a bit of shopping for the best sale.

RADAR

I got my drive for $72 on Amazon.

Well, I'm just going to live with it for now. There ought to be an HCL for these Azbox units to avoid having to keep spending money to get something to work properly. Anyway, I'm considering drilling holes into my drive cover to help with ventilation or just leave the cover off.

Same here!
I talked to my friend at work whose hobby is computers and he told me that the HDD do get very hot and advised to put fan(s) to it if possible. I am worried that the heat can harm the Ultra.

Well, I'm just going to live with it for now. There ought to be an HCL for these Azbox units to avoid having to keep spending money to get something to work properly. Anyway, I'm considering drilling holes into my drive cover to help with ventilation or just leave the cover off.

I personally wouldn't approve of drilling holes in the cover, but that is entirely to your own discretion. If your unit has a small cover over the HDD bay, I would just remove that cover and place a "doily" over the opening. If your cover is all one piece, that won't be possible, like the original AZBox Premium. The Premium Plus model has a small cover for just the HDD bay and you can just leave that off and cover the opening with a decorative cloth to keep dust out and allow the heat to escape.

Same here!
I talked to my friend at work whose hobby is computers and he told me that the HDD do get very hot and advised to put fan(s) to it if possible. I am worried that the heat can harm the Ultra.

I agree MrFTAMan.

However, your box can handle hotter temps than you think without causing any damage. If you cannot tolerate holding your hand on it, it is too hot. If it feels quite warm, but more like a good electric hand warmer, you should be fine. I guess I can't cite an exact temperature range here, as to what is safe and what is not, but I think that you can be safe if you judge it by touch. Too hot to touch, too hot to be safe for the electronics.

At work, we have electrical cabinets which hold in the heat and they get to 120 to 140 degrees F and there are PLCs in these cabinets and all the I/O modules and they have been operating in this environment for over ten years (twelve years at least) without failure.

I think I would start to worry if the temperature rose to 150 degrees F or above.

RADAR

I personally wouldn't approve of drilling holes in the cover, but that is entirely to your own discretion. If your unit has a small cover over the HDD bay, I would just remove that cover and place a "doily" over the opening. If your cover is all one piece, that won't be possible, like the original AZBox Premium. The Premium Plus model has a small cover for just the HDD bay and you can just leave that off and cover the opening with a decorative cloth to keep dust out and allow the heat to escape.

RADAR

The Ultra drive cover is large. I'm either going to use spacers to elevate the cover or put a piece of mesh in place of the cover. If the box had been properly designed this wouldn't be an issue. A "green" drive might have been better but I'm not going to buy another drive unless absolutely necessary. As I said before, an HCL for this product would be great. But, HCL's don't keep up with newer devices, though.

Same here. I am happy with the drive I bought this week. Now I have to address the satellite programming issues.
The Ultra is giving me hell with the SG2100.

I want to thank all those who have been giving advice here on the HD drive. I picked one up today and here is what I found so far.
-----------------------------------
I picked up a WD 1 TB SATA hd.
It was named WD Caviar Green since it is the eco-friendly drive. no Samsung HD drives in this area.

Took it out of the box and put it in the Azbox Premium Plus receiver.
Hooked the connector wiring (That I saw was in the azbox under the top panel) up to the drive and put the cover back on.
Then went into the settings menu to Storage.
The device was recognized by the az-box and when asked to format it proceeded to format the drive.
(I did not remember if I saw anything on the screen saying format in “FAT” system, but I knew that is what I wanted to do so I left the receiver format the WD internal HD.
It took less then 15 minutes to format the 1tb drive.
I just followed the directions on the screen. I did not power off the receiver at anytime but left the receiver reboot when it wanted to do so.

Since I an not technically inclined by any means, I was surprised at how easy this was to do so far.
No manual to go by here so I had/have no idea how to record anything and no instructions from anyone with the exception of this thread so this was a learn as you go process.
I went into the menu button and highlighted the record and hit enter.
The menu that was on the TV screen came up automatically with the time for the recording of the program.
I was on a movie channel and the movies was in progress so I just hit ok and enter.
It is recording.
To delete a recorded program:
Hit the menu button
Arrow down 4 times to “Recorded program” hit “ok”
Your recorded programs should now appear in a box on your screen.
Arrow to the program you want to delete and using the “check” button hit ok and
a check mark will now appear next to the ones you want to delete.
Now hit the “Menu” button and a box appears with…
Play Selection
Select All
Cancel all
Delete Selection
Delete all.
In my case I had 2 earlier very small recordings when first testing the drive.
I checked 2 out of 3 on my list and then highlighted “Delete Selection”.
Another box came up with…
Information
2 recorded file has been selected
would you like to delete?
Yes No

The yes was already highlighted so hit ok.

The 2 files are now gone leaving only one program left.
The receiver will display the channel name under the programming and the date recorded so at this point that is all I have to go by.
I need to find out if there is a way to rename these files to what was actually recorded,
but if I can get this far then anyone should be able to do this.

To change the name I found you go to settings > file manager > arrow to TV Record
put a check on the one you want to rename, then hit the ‘Menu” button which will now have the Rename option for the file.

all this in under 1 hour.

Then I remembered someone said something about setting up the time on the receiver so I just finished that part now.

------------------------------------------------------------

I have checked out the recorded programs or at least part of them and so far it appears everything is working just fine.
The drive is not getting hot for me either, as Radar mentioned the Green drives you can hardly hear the thing.
I know I can't.

I just put this down as I was doing it so hopefully it will make it easier for the next person. Now I can get another drive for my ultra box. :)
Even though I could not find the brand mentioned by Radar I did ask if it was supported by the Linux system and was told it did.

this model number is WD10000CSRTL

My HDD records just fine. At first I was going to the Movie file, clicked on something about tv recording and clicked on what I recorded. Wouldn't recognize format.
After a few times, I gave up.
One night I was watching a program on the Ultra and wondered about the Edit button on the remote. Upon clicking it, a menu appeared on the left side of the screen. Scrolled down to something about Reserved Play and clicked it. It showed the programs I tried recording earlier and when I clicked on one of them, the recorded program came on and it played great! Now if I want to record a show I'm watching, I would go to theEdit button and scroll to Record.
I hate buying FTA receivers that doesn't have a detailed instructions on setting up and using a receiver. Each FTA receivers has a soul of its own and you and I have to figure out what makes it tick.
"Learn as you go" thing, you know.

I want to thank all those who have been giving advice here on the HD drive. I picked one up today and here is what I found so far....

Stargaze,

I want to thank you for going in to such detail, including the model number of the HDD that you purchased! This kind of detailed informations is extremely beneficial to all others who dabbling in these projects.

I stated in a post / reply recently, that we don't hear enough from the people who find success, we generally hear a lot more about the failures. It is a stigma of human nature to complain. Your story of success here is VERY WELCOMED!

I think your personal information will help many others down the road, somewhere at some point in time! Great write up! :up:up:up:up +1/2 out of 5!

;) ;)

RADAR

I think your personal information will help many others down the road, somewhere at some point in time!

As with anything in life there are givers and there are takers.
I have learned alot about these receivers from this site and just wanted to give a little back.

As for the recording on the azbox I found that it will only do a timed recording in increments of 10 minutes. I have not found a way yet to have a fixed recording for just 45 minutes or a specific start and end time.

If anyone has please do tell....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts