Recording Start/Stop Times Question

aperry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Apparently, I can't figure out the magic combination of terms to find it, I really tried though...

My question is if a show is scheduled to start at 9:01pm, will my 622 start the recording at that time, or treat it like a 9:00pm show? Similarly, if a show is scheduled to end at 10:02pm, will the 622 record to that time, or stop at 10:00pm?

Thanks, and I apologize to anyone I may have upset by posting this potential FAQ.

I am aware of that feature, but specifically what I am referring to is when a network decides to run a show at a different start/stop time than the top or bottom of the hour.

For example, last year, Lost would start at 9:00pm, but instead of ending at 10:00pm, would actually end at 10:03pm.

What I want to know is that for shows like that, will my 622 start at 9:00pm and end at 10:03pm, or do I have to put in the options to extend it at the end of the show to catch the additional 3 minutes?

If I have to change the end time through the options screen, then that's going to cause a problem if there is a show airing immediately following Lost, starting at 10:00pm. The recorder would stop recording at 10:00pm and start recording the new show. I would miss out on the last 3 minutes of Lost.

I am aware of that feature, but specifically what I am referring to is when a network decides to run a show at a different start/stop time than the top or bottom of the hour.

For example, last year, Lost would start at 9:00pm, but instead of ending at 10:00pm, would actually end at 10:03pm.

What I want to know is that for shows like that, will my 622 start at 9:00pm and end at 10:03pm, or do I have to put in the options to extend it at the end of the show to catch the additional 3 minutes?

You have to use the "End Late" option there and make it for 3 minutes.

If I have to change the end time through the options screen, then that's going to cause a problem if there is a show airing immediately following Lost, starting at 10:00pm. The recorder would stop recording at 10:00pm and start recording the new show. I would miss out on the last 3 minutes of Lost.

Yeah, you're out of luck there unless the next show you're recording is on the exact same channel as "Lost" or you could record the other show on your 2nd receiver.

In this day of many shows not starting/stopping exactly at the top or bottom of the hour, that is unacceptable in my opinion.

I hope they change it to have the recording end when the show actually ends, rather than some unreliable "add time" feature.

Plus, some shows change their start and/or stop times many times during the season.

My old 5?? SD recorder handeled this without a problem. You mean the 622 will not?

"The Shield" was always running over, and it recorded the whole program without a problem

In this day of many shows not starting/stopping exactly at the top or bottom of the hour, that is unacceptable in my opinion.

I hope they change it to have the recording end when the show actually ends, rather than some unreliable "add time" feature.

Plus, some shows change their start and/or stop times many times during the season.

In that case, complain to the channels that are doing that. They tell everyone that their show is going to end at "9:00" but it doesn't. There is no way to fix this (other than to pad the timer), until the networks stop lying about their start and stop times.

Actually, it is not the networks, it is totally Dish Network's doing. If you check the listings for Dead Zone on USA Network this Sunday night on Zap2it TV Listings (which is done by Tribune Media Services), you'll see that it starts at 10:01pm Eastern time.

Our listings show it starting at 10:00pm, and according to the info screens for shows they are also provided by Tribune Media Services.

And to make matters more interesting, the TV listings through Dish Network's own site shows it starting at 10:01pm as well.

Here is what is funny. Dish actually gets the info from Tribune. What? You don't believe me? Hit "info" and look at the bottom line "TV Listings (c) Tribune Media Services"

I had an interesting problem related to this. According to the program guide, the 4400 (USA Network) ended at 9:03. The Dead Zone followed it, but according to the program guide, it began at 9:00. So to take the program guide at face value, USA was simultaneously showing two programs from 9:00 until 9:03.

I tried to set up a timer to record both programs on my 522. Because of another longer show being recorded on the other tuner, I needed to record both of them on the same tuner. The 522 complained it that I couldn't do it because of a conflict.

The problem is not the recorder. The problem is with the program guide. TV Guide has their name plastered on it. Perhaps instead of investing in the logo, they should invest in getting their times right. :)

Weird that it would show one show finishing at 9:03 and the next on the same channel starting at 9:00... Definitely more evidence that they need to do some work in this area.

I believe once the show is set up you can go back and edit the start or stop times. Maybe only for once-only timers? This I would call setting a hard start/stop.
Using the add to start or stop will be truncated if they overlap other programming. I would call this a soft start/stop.
Of course, as you pointed out you can have conflicts by explicitly editing them.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts