Recording with Video Stabilizer via Composite

Achebee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Honduras
Has anyone found a Digital Video Stabilzer that will work with Az Premium Plus to Record using composite out??
I have a Dimax/Grex that was supposedly made for this but I can still not get a video signal out from Composite.
I would appreciate any input, and if you have a method of recording from the Azbox, please post a links for me.
Thanks, HB

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance but why do you need a video stabilzer to record from composite out? Do you believe there is an embedded macrovision signal from your Premium plus composite output? Have you tried recording directly from composite?

According to the folks at the place where i bought my Azbox there is embedded macrovision...I have tried many times with both composite out and component and I can't get any thing to record...I set it up as Composite out in setup etc. only a blue screen repeatedly...So I called my guy (Rick's Sat) and he told me that it indeed could not record out on composite out, but that a customer of his had used a DVS and got it to work...
I have 3 premium Plus boxes here, and a Premium...And none of them record out via composite or component... So I came here to ask the same question I asked at Ricks hoping for advice...
I would be curious as to the setup that AC Radio is using so I could it a try, however, I feel that I have done it all... Thanks for your help, HB

I am using an ATI Theater Pro 550 analog OTA tuner installed in my HTPC. I have the composite input dongle that goes with it. I use a program called GBPVR that works with the ATI card. I have the composite outputs from all receivers into a switchbox where I can select the source. I use it to record stuff all the time...works great. The neat thing is it will record an HD program in 16x9 wide screen even though the resolution is just SD.

Achebee,

I believe that you are being misled. If you are attempting to record off a FTA sat and it is not working, it isn't because of any macrovision encoding and it wouldn't be related to utilizing the composite video output in any way regardless. If you can view the content of any program directly, you can record unless it is of a high bit rate. You are barking up the wrong tree here, the racoon is up in another tree somewhere over there.

I believe out of instinct that you have something wired or setup incorrectly. It should record just fine unless there is an issue with the high bit rate... That won't dissallow you to record the program, however, it will only make the recorded version crap. You can view the program fine, but it will not record well. This is not due to any Macrovision appplication, it is due to the processing of the video in the AZBox receiver. As far as I know at this time, if this is the case, there is no way to get around it. It is a compatibility error between the AZBox and the satellite signal type.

I cannot provide a better answer than this as I do not know the specifics of what you are doing or trying to do. You would have to provide me with specific details regarding your set up and what channel you are attempting to record. Provide more details as opposed to generalities and we may be able to figure this out if it is possible.

RADAR

Has anyone found a Digital Video Stabilzer that will work with Az Premium Plus to Record using composite out??
I have a Dimax/Grex that was supposedly made for this but I can still not get a video signal out from Composite.
I would appreciate any input, and if you have a method of recording from the Azbox, please post a links for me.
Thanks, HB

Forgive my ignorance but why do you need a video stabilzer to record from composite out? Do you believe there is an embedded macrovision signal from your Premium plus composite output? Have you tried recording directly from composite?

According to the folks at the place where i bought my Azbox there is embedded macrovision...I have tried many times with both composite out and component and I can't get any thing to record...I set it up as Composite out in setup etc. only a blue screen repeatedly...So I called my guy (Rick's Sat) and he told me that it indeed could not record out on composite out, but that a customer of his had used a DVS and got it to work...
I have 3 premium Plus boxes here, and a Premium...And none of them record out via composite or component... So I came here to ask the same question I asked at Ricks hoping for advice...
I would be curious as to the setup that AC Radio is using so I could it a try, however, I feel that I have done it all... Thanks for your help, HB

Thanks, HB

Why are wasting time recording from the analog output? It's a lossy recording method that doesn't support HD. As others have stated, it should work without any issues, but why settle for a VHS quality SD recording?

I record the transport stream directly to the internal drive and copy the resulting file directly to DVD or DB media after editing out the commercials. The resulting digital recording is lossless and High Definition is supported.

AC RADIO, AcWxRadar & vc2.. and all
Thanks for the help, I have ordered an internal HD...I understand the issues with a lousy record quality with composite..I was trying to avoid buying an internal HD because of the cost, and I record just fine with the Pansat, I was hoping to grab only one program from a 4:2:2 high bit rate feed using the AZBOX...
So I started messing around and it won't work..I am going to dig in later today and see if it was just the high bit rate issue and will report back.. The ATI theater Pro unit sure sounds like a fun unit to have... thanks for that info and I will look for a link for that.
RADAR, thanks for your offer to dig in, but I think this is a bit rate issue...I just simply ran composite out first as that was open on another source input on my recorder and all I get is blue screen and no audio... Then I ran Component to my main input source and got the same thing...So I called up and was told that you couldn't record off the AZBOX and why would you want to anyway, better to get Internal HD etc. etc...so I was just trying to snag one program only off 4:2:2 feeds on G19 that the Pansat won't process so that's how this all started...
I was trying to do this with out spending a bunch of cash here before Christmas, etc. etc. and had always left the internal HD for a rainy day, but I sprung for one... That doesn't solve the issue here though
I will dig in today a diagnose if it is an issue with my recorder concerning high bit rate and also try running composite into a TV just to see if the signal is there ...I hadn't tried that yet!!! (Whoops) as per Rick Perry.... I will have a chance to dig in a bit and at least try and try an tie a knot on the roses on this thread I started and I suspect that it is a high bit rate issue...thanks for all the input to all of you, HB

With my Ultra I can view both hdmi and composite simultaneously.I don't know if the Premium is different in that regard.That being said,even the high bitrate 4-2-2 programs of a certain network play just fine on my 26 year old Sony via composite.No matter what the program is the composite outputs plain old NTSC 480i.Unless perhaps your output is set for PAL?If so that is most likely your problem.

When I first got my HD+ I found that it could not record the high bit rate channels I wanted, so took to recording onto DVRs, as I had been before getting the HD+. But, often the DVRs would announce copy protection in the source and stop recording. To work around this I bought a component to composite converter, but the results were dismal. I had a cheap video stabilizer I bought long ago for playing poor VHS tapes that I wasn't using for anything any more so tried it, and it worked a charm. Now I can record anything the HD+ can play onto any of my DVRs by feeding the stabilizer output to a distribution amp and on to the recorders. My stabilizer has nothing on it that identifies where it came from, nor do I have any recollection of when or where I got it.